Old Sabine River bottom hog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Sabine River bottom hog

Shot my first OSR bottom hog with my TC 50cal muzzleloader 12-31-08, hog came out at 90yrds, one shot one pig. Pig was pretty big (between 250 and 300lbs, gutted pig but could not put on my quad, I dragged the pig out to parking lot about 2 miles, lots of fun.
    Attached Files

sweet and congrats I missed one with my muzz last sat out there

Comment

Congrats on the big hog, your lucky you had a quad to drag him with.

Comment

Hog makeover

The hog skull is currently going through a makeover, I have already cleaned most of the skull, I am in the process of degreasing it, which will take about a week and then I will bleach it using creame poroxide mixed with white hair dye, still alot of fun, will post more pixs later.
        Attached Files

Comment

Wooley booger wasn't he! Here's one I shot on one of the east Texas WMA's about a month ago.Not nearly as furry as your's but about the same size.
          Attached Files

Comment

Nice sized piggie. Congrats to you. There is alot of hard work getting one out of public land after the shot. You done good.

Comment

nice hog Rick. congrats

Comment

those pigs look good, thats skull is going to be real nice when complete too. I have heard some about the OS river bottoms being pretty gd for those hogs. Are ya'll going out on the pub. land areas? If so I need to go check out if its not to crowed. whatca think?

Comment

not too crowded now since deer season is over. best bet is to get in the sloughs and listen for them. or you can hang a stand over a trail. either way there are plenty of porkers to go around. general season starts on the 20th. good luck.

Comment

SR bottom hogs

I believe the key time is at noon and then right before dark, that is when I have seen them move. Take HG advice, I hung a stand and waited for them to move, just make sure you are downwind from creeks, bottoms or sloughs. If your hunting from the ground get downwind and make sure you are elevated to see them move, once you have found a spot, sit tight and wait them out.
                    I have finished degreasing skull, I am planning on bleaching it this weekend, will post pixs when done.
                    I believe I will be going Wednesday or Thursday, the last days of muzzleloader hunt.

Comment

look forward to the finished product. I know it will be awesome looking at the progress so far, and thanks to both, again great pig

Comment

Hey, how did you remove all the unwanted junk from that skull? I would like to do one myshelf one day and it looks as if you've got it figured out.

Comment

drill a hole at the base of the skull and boil all the meat off the skull if you havent scraped most of it off, then boil the skull with a little bleach in it. when the temperature is just right the brain should drain out of the hole you drilled. comes out like a soup. dont overboil the thing or you could ruin it.

Comment

I placed skull in a pot, added a box of baking soda, this brings down the boiling point of water, brought water to a boil, lowered down to a simmer for about 6hrs. The skull already has a hole in the back, all the brain matter came out fairly easy. I also used my air compressor to blowout any remaining stuff on hard to reach areas.
                            Hey Hand Grenade, when are you going out to the river bottoms?

Comment

thanks gents, I have to try that on my next one, those european mounts look too cool.

Comment

Working...
                              X