Texas Draw Hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RGV Hunter View Post
    I have been putting in for the rifle hunts at Laguna Atascosa for over 20 years and have never been drawn. I know of people that put in for it one time and get drawn. So this points system is not legitimate. There is no way it is legitimate when someone who has just put in once gets drawn and I have been spending my money on these draws for over twenty years with no luck.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
    Been my thoughts for a long time. It has nothing to do with me not knowing how to apply or putting in for nothing but premium hunts. Granted the one time I drew was an incredible trip but as many points as I have and as many permits and places I put in for I should have at least drawn more than 1 permit in 21 years.

Comment

I think the 22/23 hunts get posted July 1st

Comment

The maximum number of points you can have in the National Refuge General Deer category is 6 because TPWD started handling that draw in 2016.

I remember sending my application directly to Laguna Atascosa to apply in the years prior to 2016 and they didn't have preference points.

Comment

Originally posted by bigchiefj View Post
          I remember sending my application directly to Laguna Atascosa to apply in the years prior to 2016 and they didn't have preference points.
          Back when they only got a few 100 applications for the draws, I had 2-3 hunts at Balcones Canyonlands. As you said, it was with the old system with applications sent directly to the Preserve. I got my oldest his only hunt and 1st deer there. I am 0 for 6 since. My 2nd son is a Junior this year and has yet to get out for a hunt.

Comment

This will be my 13th year for GDE. And my 12th last year for GDA. I did get drawn for that one, finally! Granted, we are putting in for some low draw possibilities, on very popular hunts. But it wasn't like that when we started. Same with the other hunts I've put in for. As my points accumulate, I put in for hunts that are less likely to be drawn. And there's a reason for that less likelihood. Think most of you are able to figure that out . Course, there are some hunts I have no desire to go on, that some of yall do. Guess I'ma help-n ya out by not putting in for those hunts . And then some of yall still had diapers on, or weren't born yet, when I first started hunting public lands. This draw thing is just another place for me to go. So, I'ma little more selective on where I wanna go, if drawn. There's lots of other public lands that aren't draw hunts too, that are free for the going. And lots of other types of draws beside TP&W.

I expect that Sambar hunt to be extremely popular this year due all the attention it got last year. I'll prob put in for those 2 also.

Comment

They’ll never remove all the Sambar with the draw hunts unless they went in with a helicopter. They’re dumb as rocks when we went but it was the second year of that place being open. Place is awesome and game rich. If I ever go back I’m chasing my
              Sambar with a bow. They get in the ponds and eat the vegetation

Comment

I feel the same way on 1st timers. I think they get drawn so they get them hooked on entering. We put in for alot of regular hunts or hunting places and it has been 20+ years since we have been drawn on any hunt. Used to get pulled for a doe hunt every 3 or 4 years. We have been putting in for these hunts for 40+ years. Something ain't right.

Comment

I hear what y'all are saying but,

This is my 6th season putting in and I've yet to get skunked. So unless you consider 5+ years in the game as new still then I don't get the thought of it leaning towards new applicants.

I too put in for some of the prime hunts and fully expect to not draw any of those for many years.

I'm hopeful that my kids will draw some awesome hunts though.

Happy hunting gentlemen and hope some of you long time entrants finally draw this season!

Comment

Originally posted by hoyt21 View Post
                    They’ll never remove all the Sambar with the draw hunts unless they went in with a helicopter. They’re dumb as rocks when we went but it was the second year of that place being open. Place is awesome and game rich. If I ever go back I’m chasing my
                    I think that is what they do. I'm gonna call them this summer to ask if they did that this year. Soon it won't be worth applying for,

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                      I think that is what they do. I'm gonna call them this summer to ask if they did that this year. Soon it won't be worth applying for,
                      The PHWMA biologist job is to remove all non native species, on paper. However, due to the popularity and interest the WMA provides by having this unique species, there is some push back, I believe. If the WMA wanted to eradicate sambar, it would have been done already.

Having experienced it, it is most certainly a one-of-a-kind WMA and hunt. I recommend it, the staff is top notch and committed to each hunter having a successful and memorable experience. Yet, I do feel sambar numbers have and will continue to decline with harvests year after year. This still provides the opportunity for a hunter to harvest a sambar, however I believe over time the success rates will decrease dramatically, especially for a trophy stag. I state this because of what I learned during my experience. Sambar can live up to 27 years of age, however, it is not until a stag reaches a minimum of 6yrs of age until they develop a 3x3 set of antlers. When considering a trophy sambar stag, keep in mind 3x3 is the maximum, yet the more mature trophy stag with many years of age are the "trophy" stags that yield the mass, lengths and widths. Those "TROPHY" stags, I feel will become obsolete as the hunt continues throughout the years to come. Why? They will never be able to reach the age classes as it was prior to the state taking ownership and conducting draw hunts.

Just my thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Public View Post
                        The PHWMA biologist job is to remove all non native species, on paper. However, due to the popularity and interest the WMA provides by having this unique species, there is some push back, I believe. If the WMA wanted to eradicate sambar, it would have been done already.

Having experienced it, it is most certainly a one-of-a-kind WMA and hunt. I recommend it, the staff is top notch and committed to each hunter having a successful and memorable experience. Yet, I do feel sambar numbers have and will continue to decline with harvests year after year. This still provides the opportunity for a hunter to harvest a sambar, however I believe over time the success rates will decrease dramatically, especially for a trophy stag. I state this because of what I learned during my experience. Sambar can live up to 27 years of age, however, it is not until a stag reaches a minimum of 6yrs of age until they develop a 3x3 set of antlers. When considering a trophy sambar stag, keep in mind 3x3 is the maximum, yet the more mature trophy stag with many years of age are the "trophy" stags that yield the mass, lengths and widths. Those "TROPHY" stags, I feel will become obsolete as the hunt continues throughout the years to come. Why? They will never be able to reach the age classes as it was prior to the state taking ownership and conducting draw hunts.

Just my thoughts.
                        Very good knowledge. The way I looked at them is just picture a big axis deer and they’re trophy size that’s for sure. When I killed mine I had already killed a axis and that was my sole goal was to find and kill a axis in there. So I really wasn’t hunting a stag but came into a pond and a I could see big fronts on the one and decided then that I guess I would shoot one. I went in for trophy animals only and was perfectly fine with leaving empty handed. I just got lucky I guess

Comment

I have a message with the the PHWMA asking about the numbers of Sambar. Will be a deciding factor if I put in for the GDE. Been wanting to get back to Chap and have 17 or so points

Comment

I seem to get drawn about every 3-4 years for something.I only put in for places I really want to hunt but I do apply to atleast one in every category. I’ve done archery deer twice (less applicants). One draw for doe rifle with about 10 points and one gator that was cancelled due to hurricane, haven’t re drawn that tag yet.

Comment

Originally posted by hoyt21 View Post
                              they said they haven't shot any from helicopter but have trapped them before & are discussing whether to do it again

Comment

Working...
                              X