No announcement yet.

Brisket: A Detailed "How To"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wanted to bump this back up. Great write up and thanks for posting it! I just cooked my first in a kamado this weekend and it turned our pretty good. Used the Franklin's method on YouTube from Aaron Franklin in Austin. I love reading how other people do theirs and think there's a lot to be said about putting your personal touch on the finished product. Will be trying some of these methods on the next one!

MZ

Comment

Just something to keep in mind. Someone above said that Aaron says to pull them at 203*. He only said that after he was pressed to give a specific number. He will always tell you “it’s done when it’s done”. Meaning there is no set number. I’ve had them come off at 200 and I’ve had them come off at 210. It’s done when it’s done...... don’t be focused on a number. Go by feel.

Comment

yummy

Comment

tagged

Comment

Great post for sure.

Comment

Came back to this for a refresher. Got an 11# prime from Costco that I’ll be doing next weekend.

TC I notice that most of your briskets tend to have a pinkish color to the meat all the way through and others (mine included) usually have a gray’ish color past the ring. What causes the pink color that yours has?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

brisket is amazing just saying

Comment

Great walk through. Thank you!

Comment

Thank you for your post. I used your suggestions as a guideline and cooked two briskets and they turned out amazing. My Family thinks I am the Brisket King now.

Comment

Had a party today and because of my schedule I wasn’t able to cook the brisket today so I cooked the brisket yesterday and reheated it before serving this evening. Some observations that I hope will help you all if you’re in the same situation:

Did a quick internet search on reheating the brisket. The method I went with was this:

1. Cook as normal. I rested the fully cooked brisket, wrapped in the butcher paper (Franklin method) in a cooler for 3 hours
                      2. I unwrapped and put the brisket on a cutting board and left it exposed for a little over an hour. The brisket was about 150 degrees when I first pulled it out of the cooler and cooled down to about 100 degrees in that time.
                      3. Wrapped the brisket tightly in cling wrap and put in fridge.

To reheat:

1. Find a foil pan (or any pan) large enough to hold the cooked brisket
                      2. Poor about half cup of beef broth into pan
                      3. Put down a wire rack in bottom of pan to keep the meat away from the liquid and risk losing the bark on the underside of the meat.
                      4. Separate the flat from the point. I discovered they reheated at vastly different rates and over reheating will make the meet tough.
                      5. Place the 2 pieces of brisket, Fat side down, on the wire rack and seal the pan with heavy duty foil. Crimp all edges tightly. Tent the foil over the top of the meat so it doesn’t touch.
                      5. Put in oven at 350 degrees.
                      6. Start checking the temps of the flat and point at about the 40 minute mark. You’re looking for 140 IT. Pull the flat when it reaches 140 and serve or wrap in foil and maintain the temp in a small cooler while the point finishes reheating. Figure on another 30 minutes, possibly more depending on the size of the point.
                      7. Cut and serve as usual.

*this method aims to retain moisture in the meat. The side effect is soft bark. It may be worth some experimentation to use the above method to get the meat most of the way and then move back to your smoker to finish and retighten the bark.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by skiguy327 View Post
                        Had a party today and because of my schedule I wasn’t able to cook the brisket today so I cooked the brisket yesterday and reheated it before serving this evening. Some observations that I hope will help you all if you’re in the same situation:

Did a quick internet search on reheating the brisket. The method I went with was this:

1. Cook as normal. I rested the fully cooked brisket, wrapped in the butcher paper (Franklin method) in a cooler for 3 hours
                        2. I unwrapped and put the brisket on a cutting board and left it exposed for a little over an hour. The brisket was about 150 degrees when I first pulled it out of the cooler and cooled down to about 100 degrees in that time.
                        3. Wrapped the brisket tightly in cling wrap and put in fridge.

To reheat:

1. Find a foil pan (or any pan) large enough to hold the cooked brisket
                        2. Poor about half cup of beef broth into pan
                        3. Put down a wire rack in bottom of pan to keep the meat away from the liquid and risk losing the bark on the underside of the meat.
                        4. Separate the flat from the point. I discovered they reheated at vastly different rates and over reheating will make the meet tough.
                        5. Place the 2 pieces of brisket, Fat side down, on the wire rack and seal the pan with heavy duty foil. Crimp all edges tightly. Tent the foil over the top of the meat so it doesn’t touch.
                        5. Put in oven at 350 degrees.
                        6. Start checking the temps of the flat and point at about the 40 minute mark. You’re looking for 140 IT. Pull the flat when it reaches 140 and serve or wrap in foil and maintain the temp in a small cooler while the point finishes reheating. Figure on another 30 minutes, possibly more depending on the size of the point.
                        7. Cut and serve as usual.

*this method aims to retain moisture in the meat. The side effect is soft bark. It may be worth some experimentation to use the above method to get the meat most of the way and then move back to your smoker to finish and retighten the bark.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                        The wait I do it is take the wrapped (butcher paper) brisket out of the smoker and let it sit out until it cools way down. Then I double wrap it in heavy duty foil and place in the refrigerator. When it's time to reheat I'll pull it out of the refrigerator and place it on a pan in the oven until its warm. The foil helps the butcher paper hold all the moisture in and keeps the brisket moist. No wrong way...that's just how I do it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X