Weasels in Odessa Texas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weasels in Odessa Texas?

My buddy works down there and he text me one day and told me he sees these small,fast animals all the time running across the road. By the time he gets up there they're gone. Somebody told him they're weasels. Are they jacking with him or are there really weasels in Odessa\Midland area? I've never been there so I don't know what animals he's talking about but my first thought was probably grey foxes.

Those are ground squirrels
    The only weasels in Odessa have two legs

Comment

Originally posted by bigmike View Post
      Those are ground squirrels
      The only weasels in Odessa have two legs
      Is there quite a few of them? He acts like he sees them frequently.

Ground squirrels I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
        Is there quite a few of them? He acts like he sees them frequently.
        They are everywhere in south and west texas

Comment

Yep ground squirrels. Millions of then out here. Make funny little noise to when they are running. Will see if I can find a video or pic of one.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Found a video of one.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

He had me so confused when he kept telling me about these weasels he sees. At first I thought ok maybe he knows what he's seeing but I had never heard of a weasel in Texas. Then I thought maybe they were ringtailed cats but I didn't think those were just running around everywhere either though. And they're not that common to see during the day I don't think. Ground squirrels makes sense.

Comment

I've seen 13 lined ground squirrels around here. I guess they kinda have a long body like a weasel. I work with a guy from way up in Kansas and he said they had weasels up there. I've never seen one before.

Comment

Yup ground squirrels. They’re heck on sprinkler systems.

Comment

From Wildlife Texas Almanac:

Weasel — The long-tailed weasel (Mustela frenata), akin to the mink, is found statewide, but is scarce in West Texas and the far north Panhandle. In general, their destruction of mice, ground squirrels, and pocket gophers benefits agriculture. But on occasion they enter poultry houses and wantonly kill chickens.

Comment

I was in Lubbock about a month ago & a vacant field by our hotel was full of prairie dogs. The kids thought that they we cool & I wanted to have some target practice.

Comment

Originally posted by boh347 View Post
                        Yup ground squirrels. They’re heck on sprinkler systems.
                        No joke!!!

Comment

We definately saw a drunk one in Washington today

Comment

They are ground squirrels, and yes, they are very fast. I used to try and shoot them with 22s as a kid. 100% of the time they would out run the bullet, before it got there. I got to where I aimed at their hole, that I knew the were going to go down and they would still get down the hole before the bullet got there. I was shooting at them from about 100 to 150 yards, they would not let me get any closer.

The are kind of a tan color, with darker colored stripes and spots between the stripes, if I remember correctly.

Comment

When we moved to Mesquite in 1961 (i was 5 yrs old), we had ground squirrels in the neighborhood. The neighborhood was brand new, and within a year or so they were gone. None were seen in the surrounding countryside, as my brother, me , and a couple of friends scoured this area with bb and pellet rifles, and never saw any in the close by country. It was kinda neat, our street was the last road for almost a mile, then another mile to the next one. Like being in the country, almost.

Comment

Working...
                              X