No announcement yet.

Steel Building Questions - Getting Ready to Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Terry. Still deciding on exactly what I'm going to build. I'm getting a price on a 30x50x14 welded with 3 big doors and one walk through. I added so much to the 30x40x12 that the price is getting up there.

Comment

You will get it narrowed down soon I am sure, the planning stages is the best part IMO.

Comment

Yall seeing about $25 sq ft +/- for complete building, slab, insulation, lighting, etc for basic shop design?

Comment

I agree on the small leanto, if you have the space. We did a 20'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ed, sorry for the confusion in my post. Indeed garage doors rather than roll up or sliding doors... My warehouse at my business has roll ups. The area is air conditiond, and we blocked 2 of them off and insulated over them. The heat of the sun in the summer is intense. Plus, we are constantly having to deal with birds getting in around the tops of the remaining 2 doors...

And 12 foot on the width is nice too. My barn at home has 10 foot doors, and the shop has 12... I'd never do another such building with 10 foot doors. Heck, just backing a truck/tractor or trailer partially in, creates a real tight squeeze if you want to go in and out the open door with the vehicle sitting in it...

Good luck on the build (AND congratulations too on finally getting to the point where you can!!). Keep us posted.

Comment

Garage doors come in two foot sections and track can be bolted together as well.

You can make them as tall as you have a place to roll them back in

Comment

I now have a price on a welded 30x50x14 with 4 trusses with 3-12'x12' roll-ups and one walk-through door, gutters, slab with one 3x12 ramp and one 5x34 ramp, and plumbing in slab for commode and 2 sinks. It came in a $23.30 per sq. ft. I'm going bigger on the building instead of having the lean-to's. I can add them later if I decide I need them. I need to call and get a price on the garage-type doors.

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
                  Go 14ft tall sides and 12x12 doors u won't regret it
                  X1000000000. Been there done it and have regrets now!

Comment

Make the lean-to's wider. Roof taller and I suggest panel doors that are insulated. Especially if they will face the west.
                    I did 16' tall at end walls and have room for a loft on top of my bathroom. Extra storage area you don't have to duck down while up there.

If you plan on having an air compressor have a small slab poured under a lean-to near your electric supply so you have it outside and anchored down to the concrete.

I wish I would have plumbed a drain near my roll up door for washing away blood when cleaning deer.

Comment

My 10x10 insulted garage style doors were 2k i think. Another $350 to make one wireless operated. Wish I would have went 12x12 though.

Comment

Originally posted by Hix View Post
                        My 10x10 insulted garage style doors were 2k i think. Another $350 to make one wireless operated. Wish I would have went 12x12 though.
                        Quite a bit more expensive than standard roll-up doors.

Comment

Originally posted by Lip View Post
                          Quite a bit more expensive than standard roll-up doors.
                          Yep, but worth every penny for my purposes. Ed, you may not need them, but those roll up doors may need to be upgraded at some point if your need changes... Since they don't seal to the building, they will allow moisture in during those dark, dreary foggy mornings that will promote sweating/condensation on everything... I have this issue in my barn now... When we moved, I put my roll around tool boxes, power tools and such in the barn... Everything has a coat of rust on it now... I will be moving them all to my garage/new shop, then spend days cleaning them!

Comment

I suggest using galvanized perlins all the way, if you don't at least do them on ridge and eves. They are the first to rust out. My shop is 40 x 60 weld up with center post and 12 x 11'8" doors, with 12' walls, 11'8 was all I could get in with beam. 4/12 pitch helps when you want to add on, the eve height will be higher than 5/12

Comment

Originally posted by Lip View Post
                              I now have a price on a welded 30x50x14 with 4 trusses with 3-12'x12' roll-ups and one walk-through door, gutters, slab with one 3x12 ramp and one 5x34 ramp, and plumbing in slab for commode and 2 sinks. It came in a $23.30 per sq. ft. I'm going bigger on the building instead of having the lean-to's. I can add them later if I decide I need them. I need to call and get a price on the garage-type doors.
                              Mind me asking who you are using for all of this? I am in the beginning stages of planning my build out and I am in the Houston area too.

Thanks and good luck with your build! Hope you can post some pics as they are building it.

Comment

Originally posted by Neck View Post
                                Mind me asking who you are using for all of this? I am in the beginning stages of planning my build out and I am in the Houston area too.

Thanks and good luck with your build! Hope you can post some pics as they are building it.
                                I'm building this near Tenaha on our farm, not in Houston.

Comment

Working...
                                X