Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cord

Originally posted by Txhunter3000 View Post
    Let me rephrase. JFFB what type of cord did your electrician provide for your setup being it was 85'.
    Yes the cord was 85' long and was for 35 amps off my generator. I think he said 10/3so cord rated heavy duty sun water resisted 600Y F12. Its nice and not heavy and flexible easy to work with. Cost a little more. But here again some people on here busting my chops just READ from the beginning of my post he and most others cannot find the material they need right now. It's my own fault I did not do it sooner. Buts that's life. Maybe it is over kill but I'm own the good end now. Plus maybe people got by doing different things back then. He had to go from meter pan box out side and the wall to my breaker box and run a connection wire right inside my closet and I can promise you he did not have to do that a while back. He went got the permit him self and set every thing up. Inspector and Entergy came here and signed off on every thing. Sorry this post went Crazy at for me trying to help some one. I can assure you I did sleep in a Holiday Inn last night. Thanks Guys

Comment

This is how I did it with guidance from an experienced electrician, my brother. Runs everything I need on a 5,500/8,000 gen.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Zmaxhunter View Post
        https://www.amazon.com/EAT-PN200-Cut...a-819852908588

This Generator interlock.

This cord and 50amp power inlet.

Material list
        1 - 1" chase nipple
        1 - 1" lock ring
        1 - 1" plastic bushing
        3 or 4 self tapping screws
        Possibly a 1 3/8" bi-metal hole saw
        About 9ft #6 thhn wire
        1 Eaton BR250 breaker
        Red white green phase tape

Place 2pole 50a breaker in upper right 2/4 position
        Install power inlet on side of 200a panel. Might have to drill a hole for the chase nipple.

Yes the buss bar is hot.. dont touch it.
        Use card board or such as needed for protection.
        Run a black wire from breaker (2) to the black term of power inlet
        Run a red wire from breaker (4) to the red term of inlet
        Run a white wire from panel neutral to the white term of inlet
        Run a green wire from the bonded neutral to the ground of power inlet box.

Install interlock per instructions..
        Total time, maybe 2 hours.
        You can shut off the main.. then its only hot on the top lugs where the wires from meter are terminated..
        You just need a band of the phase tape colors on each end... say 1" from where its terminated.. no need to wrap the entire wire...
        Looking to do this at my home. Is this "To Code" in most instances?

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
          Looking to do this at my home. Is this "To Code" in most instances?
          Absolutely

Comment

I installed a transfer switch on my sub panel. Powers 6 circuits basically all the wall receptacles in my house. It won’t power my HVAC system but is enough for lights, tv, refrigerators, etc. I figure if I were to ever loose power when it’s hot I will just get a window unit AC and plug into the wall. One conditioned bedroom is all we need to get by. All can run from a 3500 watt inverter generator
            Attached Files

Comment

Rubi513 can you touch on using generators that have a bonded neutral vs a generator that has a floating neutral for powering your home through an acceptable interlock?

Comment

Rubi513 can you touch on using generators that have a bonded neutral vs a generator that has a floating neutral for powering your home through an acceptable interlock?
                That’s really a good question. By code the neutral and ground are only supposed to be bonded once. If your generator is bonded you could remove the bond to stay “code compliant”.
                I have never heard of anyone having issues if they didn’t remove the bond...

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                  That’s really a good question. By code the neutral and ground are only supposed to be bonded once. If your generator is bonded you could remove the bond to stay “code compliant”.

I have never heard of anyone having issues if they didn’t remove the bond...

I can’t say I’ve ever seen a small home generator or portable that has a bonded neutral. I’ve installed plenty in commercial where the ATS is 4 pole and the neutral has to be bonded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                    I can’t say I’ve ever seen a small home generator or portable that has a bonded neutral. I’ve installed plenty in commercial where the ATS is 4 pole and the neutral has to be bonded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                    I would think most portables would have to be bonded to the frame or they wouldn’t trip from a ground fault. Mine was bonded, but it’s probably 15 years old...
                    If it’s not bonded it would have to have some sort of gfci protection.

Comment

I installed the interlock as described by Zmaxhunter after the freeze and i bought the Champion 8750 watt open frame inverter that has the bonded neutral. My Bobcat 250 is bonded also. I looked at a lot of generators and some are floating and some are bonded.

Comment

I installed the interlock as described by Zmaxhunter after the freeze and i bought the Champion 8750 watt open frame inverter that has the bonded neutral. My Bobcat 250 is bonded also. I looked at a lot of generators and some are floating and some are bonded.
                        If you are using it for backup power for the house you could remove the bond, but most folks don’t.
                        If you are using it remotely to run tools, it needs to be bonded or have gfci receptacles.

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation of what I understood.

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation of what I understood.

Comment

Decent video explaining bonded vs. unbonded neutral.. also shows you cant always trust the manufacturer.

A couple yrs ago.. i installed a 50a 125/250v power inlet.. several months after the install, i received a notification from the manufacturer.. to double check the inlet.. appears some of them had a hot and neutral prongs switched..

Comment

Originally posted by Zmaxhunter View Post
                                https://youtu.be/RkjjZJgaINA
                                Decent video explaining bonded vs. unbonded neutral.. also shows you cant always trust the manufacturer.

A couple yrs ago.. i installed a 50a 125/250v power inlet.. several months after the install, i received a notification from the manufacturer.. to double check the inlet.. appears some of them had a hot and neutral prongs switched..
                                Excellent video.

Comment

Working...
                                X