No announcement yet.

Freeze aftermath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea I agree with everyone saying that’s not from the freeze. That’s looks more recent to me.

Comment

I disagree, they likely are from the freeze. A dead animal that freezes and refreezes repeatedly get mummy-like and most scavengers won’t touch em after that. The hide also gets really tough and hard to pull off. I bet there’s nothing but bones under that hide and they just look fresh.

They also stressed to death so I’m sure that aided in the carcasses not being eaten.

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
        I disagree, they likely are from the freeze. A dead animal that freezes and refreezes repeatedly get mummy-like and most scavengers won’t touch em after that. The hide also gets really tough and hard to pull off. I bet there’s nothing but bones under that hide and they just look fresh.

They also stressed to death so I’m sure that aided in the carcasses not being eaten.
        I agree with this.

Comment

Freeze dried! Very likely

Comment

Yep, and mostly bucks because the horns act like radiators. Same reason it killed so many axis bucks in velvet.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
              There's a reason African animals don't do good in Texas.
              They thrive here. A once in 2-3 decade ice storm isn’t the norm.

Comment

You are probably right

Comment

Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, I work on an exotic ranch, and we lost a bunch of critters in that freeze. Not a single one of them stayed preserved like that for all this time, so I just figured it couldn’t have been from that far back.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Lightning?

Comment

Sad deal for sure. What a loss.. Those aren't small bucks either..
                        Yes it is from the freeze.. This exact scene is being played out all over the hill country. 4 leg scavengers can only do so much and Buzzards migrate way south during the winter. Plus like stated above once they get so dry nothing will touch them anyway..

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                          There's a reason African animals don't do good in Texas.
                          Huh?? African animals thrive here.. So do the ones from India until a 500 year, biblical freeze hits.. People died too..

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                            Huh?? African animals thrive here.. So do the ones from India until a 500 year, biblical freeze hits.. People died too..
                            If that freeze would of went through India Texas would have the only black bucks left on planet earth!!

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks like disease or lightning to me. No way those animals would still be intact from February.

Or possibly poison?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I would think if it was disease, the carcasses wouldn’t be so concentrated.

Comment

Working...
                                X