No announcement yet.

School me on tractors in E Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have 50 acres in Polk county. I have 2 tractors both Massey Ferguson: 35 hp open station and 60 hp cab with 3rd function and a grapple. The smaller tractor spends most of its time in the barn. Most of the time I don't need to work close enough to the trees for the cab to be an issue. When it's 102 degrees in July & August I can mow, move brush etc. without breaking a sweat or getting covered with grass and dust. For what I use it for the 60 hp is plenty. The other thing I'll say is I'm not sure how I lived so long without a grapple.

Comment

All this grapple talk is making me want one. Lord knows I’ve been on the pallet forks struggle bus moving brush

Comment

I just bought a used 70 hp Kubota, 4x4 with FEL.
        Was not looking for a tractor with a grapple but came with the tractor.
        After a month a recommend everyone get a grapple for their tractor.
        I have brush piles everywhere now waiting to burn.

Comment

My 2 cents from owning land .. I would suggest getting something you can pull a bat wing mower with.. 15 ft mower will keep your cab out of just about all the trees.. the first time you mow over a Hornet or bumblebee nest you will wish you had a cab.. not to mention all the dust you breathe in when its dry..look at the weight of each brand in the same horse power and buy the heaviest tractor you can if you are planning to pull a plow.. heavier tractors are also smoother to ride.. I tried to buy a do all tractor when I bought my land but ended up with 3 of them .. I loved my 110 horse new holland.. tractors should only be 4x4 and have a fel...

Comment

I highly recommend 3rd function and a grapple. I have an Everything Attachments grapple and I’m pleased with it.

Comment

I strongly recommend a quick attach for the 3 point ... i just bought the Imatch for my 3038,, it’s a life changer.

Comment

Kubota M6040 with a cab. I trim my trees so broken windows is not an issue. A little over 60 hp and a 6’ shredder or disc works well. I have 80 acres here at home and a 350 acre deer lease that I mow trails and roads on, and plant food plots on. I would never go any smaller and would never go back to open cab, two wheel drive, or no FEL.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
                  I strongly recommend a quick attach for the 3 point ... i just bought the Imatch for my 3038,, it’s a life changer.

ABSOLUTELY!!! It's a game changer if you use a bunch of different attachments.
                  My FEL also has a 1 pin pull to switch from bucket to forks.

Comment

School me on tractors in E Texas

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                    Kubota M6040 with a cab. I trim my trees so broken windows is not an issue. A little over 60 hp and a 6’ shredder or disc works well. I have 80 acres here at home and a 350 acre deer lease that I mow trails and roads on, and plant food plots on. I would never go any smaller and would never go back to open cab, two wheel drive, or no FEL.

60 hp will pull 8’ shredder all day and will actually mow a little wider than the tires so you can mow next to stuff.

I did it for years on 45 [emoji4]

Comment

Very few times will you hear somebody say. “I need to sell this tractor it’s just to big and powerfully”. For me 4x4 and a front end loader is a must. I use my loader more than anything and will never have a tractor without one.

Comment

50HP, no cab, FEL, and film the back tires with water or buy the weights!

Comment

Originally posted by bwssr View Post
                          My 32hp Kubota is great in the woods and mowing....bigger ones need more room and weigh mire...sink
                          I agree with this post. Have a 45hp, 2wd, FEL and it is a pain around trees. My 32hp 4x4 kubota is perfect to get wherever I need to go, and for the most part just glides over that gumbo black mud.

Comment

I’ve got a 6105D JD it’s 105hp and I wouldn’t go smaller, I like to finish things quickly. I’m shredding down at the lease now.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                              I’ve got a 6105D JD it’s 105hp and I wouldn’t go smaller, I like to finish things quickly. I’m shredding down at the lease now.
                              How do you pull a batwing mower and 105hp tractor inside east texas woods?

Comment

Kinda surprised how many folks run big tractors in the woods. The places weve been looking at are pretty heavily wooded. I was wondering about the cab and limbs. Thanks for the advice. Now to decide how much I can afford to buy. Definitely cant buy anything new over about 35hp. Does a grapple run off of the FEL hydraulics or need additional line to open/close the jaw?

Comment

Working...
                                X