No announcement yet.

School me on tractors in E Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When buying a tractor ask yourself, “What would Tim Allen do?” Yup, more HP. 4x4 and as many attachments as you can get!!

Comment

I have two tractors. One is 48 HP and the other 52 HP. The smaller one doesn't have hydraulics so it is basically dedicated to mowing. The larger has a bucket and has served me well for 18 years. I even use it for some farming. No cabs for me. It would really limit where I can use a tractor.

If you ever intend to move large round hay bales, those smaller tractors won't have the weight to move the larger bales. I sure wish that I had a larger heavier tractor for lifting stuff with the loader. Big tractors ride better, have better traction, and will just do a lot more chores than the light ones. I really want something like a 4010 or 4020 for the heavy work and I'll keep the 5205 for chores and mowing.

Comment

My 32hp Kubota is great in the woods and mowing....bigger ones need more room and weigh mire...sink

Comment

go with as much HP you can afford and trailer yourself. Next go with reliability and availability of parts because things WILL break.

Comment

We maintain 350 acres here in east Texas and our main tractor is a 45HP Mahindra. There are sometimes I wish it was a little larger but 90% of the time it’s just right for what we do when it comes to mowing, food plots, etc. We don’t use it for a lot of dirt work since we have a skid steer and a backhoe as well. The only thing I will highly recommend based off ours is I wish it had wet lines front and rear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

tractor

Originally posted by bwssr View Post
              My 32hp Kubota is great in the woods and mowing....bigger ones need more room and weigh mire...sink
              More weight to tow/and bigger trailer too..

But sometimes bigger are cheaper than 30/40 class..

Cabs are +++ ir you in Killer Bee country...Been there done that
              Last edited by cva34; 04-10-2020, 06:58 AM.

Comment

I will add this. My FIL has a JD 5103 that’s 55hp. It has a FEL and is 2wd. I have a 55hp 4wd with FEL. if you have a FEL you are wasting money by not getting 4wd. You will not be able to use all your HP without 4wd. I can easily lift, push, pull more than he can just by flipping on 4wd.

I tell you this because I was dead set on 2wd to save money when looking for a new tractor last year. FIL talked me into 4wd. I couldn’t thank him enough for that. And don’t think you won’t use it because you don’t work in the mud. I find uses even in dry weather for it such as heavy loads on the FEL or using the box blade or disc.

I think you could go without hydro tranny to save money. If you have the money sure get it but I do t have it and even during hay stacking season I don’t find it a major in convenience.

I would rather spend money on quick attach implements.

Comment

I will add that there is nothing level on my place. I keep it in 4WD all the time and sometimes have to use the diff lock too. The Kubota is heavier than some other compact tractors and my rear tires are water filled. I can't go fast on my place due to hog damage.

Comment

50 hp will be perfect with a canopy. Go 4WD because East Texas likes to stay damp. Shoppa Tractor in Liberty sells John Deere.

Comment

For what your going to be using it for a 30-40 hp 4x4 is what you need to mow, plant your food plots and level roads. I had a mihindra 4500 4x4 for my 137 acres the only problem I had were not enough to reach to unload the top bales of hay off 18 wheelers. I bought me a mihindra 6075 4x4 cab with ac and heater and I love it. You don't eat dust when shredding and sure is nice putting out hay when it's freezing and don't have to worry about hitting a hive of killer bees.

Comment

Bee hive areas, you need a cab or bee suit

Comment

I have 30 acres mainly pasture with scattered trees. I spray, mow pasture and till 2 acre patch. I have a 40 hp LS 4x4. Dual rear remotes and FEL. 900 hrs so far done nothing but fluuds and filters. I use 6' implements and boomless sprayer. Mines shuttle shift which for my use is better or maybe I'm just used to it
                          Last edited by friscopaint; 04-10-2020, 08:23 AM.

Comment

I've got a 5055 JD with FEL and the "power reverse"... Whatever you get, especially since you mentioned you'd like to go hydraulic or hydro-static, get the power reverse option on the JD. Don't know what it's called on any other brand, but that will give you a hydro-static drive tractor and its WONDERFUL... you can go from full forward to reverse without ever touching the clutch! just shift the power shifter from forward to reverse. It's a Godsend for mowing and maneuvering in the woods. I like this size frame too. It's big enough to do some serious work (like if you ever wanted to work round bales or use the FEL/Front Forks for lifting deer stands or other heavy loads. Yet it's small enough to maneuver in the woods. 4WD is a must also. The FEL is almost useless without it. I bought a package deal at Choppa's in Liberty. They had the best pricing on a package deal. Talk to Russell Mooreman. He's a good guy, a hunter and knows what he's doing. The 5055 is a 57 horse with 39 horsepower at the hydraulic PTO... Nice tractor.

Having made my personal recommendation, I would add that all the major brands are good tractors (I'm must partial to JD Green ). The most important factor to me and what I'd recommend is go with the brand that has the best dealership nearest you. When you have trouble, it's good to have a dependable dealer nearby. I was lucky in that I have a good JD dealer and a Kubota dealer almost equidistant from me. I picked color over anything else... Heck I bought a cultivator from www.everythingattachments.com and when it came it was "Case Yellow"... I painted it JD Green before I ever assembled it!!

Good luck. I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you get, but I'd say, your dad probably is a good reference for which one!
                            Last edited by SaltwaterSlick; 04-10-2020, 08:26 AM.

Comment

I bought a 45hp 4x4 Mahindra in 2013. Iv used and abused it for 7 years and its never gave up. For the price they're hard to beat. Compare tractor weight and lift capacity vs price. Also look at the nearest dealer or even visit several different brand dealers and see how they are just incase you do have to use them.

Comment

Went thru the same process several years ago. I have a small place (3-1/2 acres) but have several timber company leases that I wanted to put in and maintain foodplots, keep the roads up, and mow where needed. Ended up getting a 28hp Kubota 4wd with FEL and hydrostatic transmission. So far have been pretty happy with it- I think if I had gone much bigger I would have had problems maneuvering in some of the small areas where I have put in food plots. Sometimes when working on the roads I wish it was bigger but otherwise it has suited my needs. I can't imagine trying to maneuver a tractor with a cab underneath some of the low hanging limbs I deal with.

Comment

Working...
                                X