Reality is setting in ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lilavidhunter View Post
    My youngest is a Senior who will miss out as well. My oldest had a 125 person Wedding scheduled for March 28th. It was scaled Way Back but she still got married.
    My son also had his wedding canceled. It was to be at a friend of ours ranch north of Telluride Co on the 20th of March. We (myself, my wife, 2 daughters, bride and brides mother) were already up there preparing when we got the call (on the 18th!) to leave the county or risk being held there for 14 days. Bride took it like a rock star and they got married on the 20th with just the two of them, the officiant, and a photographer in a park in Dallas. We will celebrate at a later date. No it also does not compare to going to war either!!! LOL Good Lord.

Comment

My daughter is a senior. She is just "done" at this point and wants to move forward with college at Texas Women's Univ. in Denton. Hopefully all this mess will calm down soon.

Comment

Just think of the stories they will tell their grand kids. "There we were.. Hoards of toilet paper, I mean mountains of toilet paper. We weren't allowed to cough for fear we would be shot. Gas was dang near a .50cent piece and bread was scarce. We were quarantined, holed up for the next coming days. As I layed there on my phone texting, social distancing through social media, and not allowed to travel after dark, I met your grandmother. It was love at first sight we dated for weeks and couldn't so much as hold hands. The day we actually touched. Your father was made."

In light of the situation I look forward to normal life (whatever that is...) Soon!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
          This is the same for all kids of that age and has nothing to do with big city/small town. These last few weeks of senior year represent a significant door closing for my son and others. They don't get to close it how they would like being through sports, prom, graduation, hanging out with friends or any other way.

I hate it all the way around. I think my son is taking it all in stride, but I know there are many things associated with the last couple months of school that he would rather not be denied.
          Agree with you on nothing to do with small town/big town- the kiddos that actually care about school, sports, prom, etc... have similar feelings of disappointment. My previous comment was made in jest, as I have taught in both small towns (several actually) and big city. Small communities are definitely more involved with the schools and students, in my experience.
          Last edited by Roy; 04-06-2020, 01:10 PM.

Comment

I feel for some of these kids that care about it, has to suck to close those years in this fashion.

And just because someone has/had it worse, doesn't invalidate the story of the individuals going through what they are going through now.

Comment

I absolutely feel bad them for. You only get to do your senior year once.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerBob View Post
                As the father of a senior this year, I'll step up and say I don't think any one of them are saying they have it worse than if they were fighting in a war, or anything similar. What they are upset about is that they aren't going to participate in all the fun and recognition that every other senior class before them got to participate in. To that end, I do feel for them. Could it be worse, sure, it could be worse for any of us. However, that doesn't make it any less disappointing for them to be missing out on typical senior year stuff. We can only hope this is the only class that this affects.

Got a Senior as well. Well said Sir.

Comment

My senior son isn’t phased at all by missing the prom and graduation. He kind of checked out after Christmas. But he is worried about the fall, he is going to Oklahoma Baptist on a football scholarship and is starting to worry. They are proceeding as normal but still hard not to look forward and wonder what the next couple of months may bring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DamonJ View Post
                    I definitely feel for the seniors...

However, myself and few others discussing it on a different form were quickly reminded that they don’t have it that bad...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    You still got to graduate. To get that closure and moving on to that next step in life regardless how difficult or traumatic it was.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by STX_Shooter View Post
                      Yep my wife’s brother is a senior and is working full time at a gas station. The thing that ****** me off is that his dad and mom aren’t working due to this and he’s not helping with any of the bills. Rather save up for a car then pay bills, I was 15 when I had my first job and was already paying the light and phone bill. Some parents are making their kids soft, so I don’t blame the kids I blame their parents.
                      Do his parents want him to help? No way in hell my dad would have taken a dime from me.

Making life tougher on your kids doesn’t necessarily make tougher or harder working kids. You can have tough very successful kids without making them even have a job if you’re doing it right.

Comment

My Senior hasn’t been allowed to leave the farm for a week. I lecture him about sneaking off in the middle of the night to see his girlfriend, I remember 18. I want him to join the military and oneday return to the farm, but who knows what’s in store for him. He is smart but isn’t the strongest student, I know we spoiled him, time to wake up for sure when the smoke clears

Comment

I'm an Assistant Principal and just sent out an email telling my teachers that "if nothing else comes of the current state of affairs, I hope that each of you recognize the role that educators play in the community." First response was, "I hope they do too." Bring on the teacher bashing thread but please remember the role schools play in this country.

Comment

No teacher bashing here. We spend to much money on bombs and not enough on education.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                            X