No announcement yet.

Need gravy recipe for fried venison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its really simple. 1tbsp butter, 1tbsp flour, 1cup beef broth. Dissolve butter, add flour and whisk around and let brown a bit (maybe 5 minutes on med heat). When nice and brown add in beef broth slowly and whisk it in really well. Simmer for a few minutes, add steaks in and simmer a bit more turning steaks occasionally, and your done.

Sub pan drippings for butter if desired. But when I do that, I still add a lil butter for flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Like everybody said. Leave enough grease to cover bottom of frying pan. Add a small handful of finely cut onions. Add 3-4 table spoons of flour to absorb the grease. Add 3/4 milk and 1/4 water and medium heat add salt and pepper til it starts to bubble stir and take off fire at correct consistently. Ez

Comment

I always make a rough and when it gets close to burning I add milk and a little water. Add milk and water as needed to get it just right.

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
          Horse P
          I make gravy like that every time, no lumps
          Horse P is also polar, but if you prefer the taste...

You might agitate the mixture enough to adequately disperse the flour into small enough clumps you find negligible, but flour still doesn't dissolve in milk (water). It's not even debatable.

Comment

Originally posted by PROLINE19 View Post
            Frying venison tonight. Still struggle with drippings gravy. Always thick and floury. Help with tips for gravy. Thx
            The key to smooth gravy is use a wire whisk.

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
              Horse P is also polar, but if you prefer the taste...

You might agitate the mixture enough to adequately disperse the flour into small enough clumps you find negligible, but flour still doesn't dissolve in milk (water). It's not even debatable.
              Not sure on the chemistry of flour, oil, n milk but I can't tell (and I bet you can't either) the difference in consistency between my gravy and gravy made from a roux. Maybe once my shaken milk/flour is poured in the hot grease it disolves? Im not sure. Anyway it turns out as good as anyone else's I've ever tried.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

You can get some good beef fat from the butcher and render that down slowly. Add this liquid fat to the crunches in your frying pan. Add flour only and create a paste and cook until lightly brown. Add your milk or half and half and keep stirring until thickened. Add salt and pepper and you are done. I use several TBSP of fat.

Add some salt to the drained Brown crunchy fat that is left over after extracting the beef fat. Yummy.

Comment

...all of the above but a dash of worchestershire sauce and a dash of Lousiana hot sauce adds some much needed acidity. Try and see what you think.

Comment

When I make gravy, I'll cook 1/8# of sausage with 1/4 of an onion, 1/2 of a jalapeno pepper, 1/2 of a yellow sweet pepper. I usually have to add bacon grease to get enough to start with then add flour to build up my roux. Slowly add milk & constantly stir until it thickens. You could use the same steps subbing the drippings for sausage, for your needs.
                    Last edited by cj7zrcool; 03-27-2020, 09:57 AM.

Comment

4/4/2 method 4tbsp grease or butter 1/4 cup flour blend a few minutes to cook flower med heat slowly add 2cups of warm liquid beef broth for Brown or milk for cream gravy. Salt and pepper to taste

Comment

If you’re gravy turns out too gritty, too much flour, then use more grease. It won’t hurt you, the opposite will. Sprinkle flour in until it sizzles and have milk directly ready to pour in and whisk. DO NOT ADD FLOUR AFTER THAT POINT, it will clump. Milk gravy is so easy once you get it down.

I’d rather meet up and show you than read some of these 1/4 this and 1/2 that “recipes”. It doesn’t work that way. I can make **** good gravy out of pickle juice, it’s technique, plain and simple.
                        Last edited by TXUSMC; 03-30-2020, 11:59 PM.

Comment

I always sprinkle the flour into the hot grease and whisk continuously getting all the lumps out and making a smooth kinda paste then add some milk slowly and whisk if still a little thick add a little more milk. until perfect. Never add more flour if the gravy is too thin. That's why add a little milk and work up to the thickness of gravy you like.

Comment

If you need to add flour after the fact to thicken, you can whisk flour into some water in a separate bowl, then pour into gravy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X