Need gravy recipe for fried venison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need gravy recipe for fried venison

Frying venison tonight. Still struggle with drippings gravy. Always thick and floury. Help with tips for gravy. Thx

pour off all but 1 tablespoon of oil. Add in enough flour to absorb the remaining oil/drippings. With your heat on medium high, "cook" the flour while string/mixing/mashing until it turns golden brown. Reduce your heat to ML. Season with S&P then add in your water and milk being sure to stir the entire time. Add water a little at a time and be sure to have your mix thick enough to add milk. After you figure it out it will be easy as can be and duplicatable every time.

Comment

Fairly simple.
      Use the grease that you fried meat with.
      I usually use enough to cover a 12” skillet. Add flour. If it clumps add more grease.
      I cook it till the flour turns a little brown. Then add milk till you get the consistency you want.
      You will still most likely have to season to taste. I like salt, pepper, and garlic powder...
      It’s really hard to screw up gravy. Good luck.

Comment

What brazos said. Make the roux first then slowly add liquids until you have it at a consistency you like. Remember, one part oil to one part flour. You don't need to dump a bunch of flour in there.

Comment

Dissolve your flour in some milk first
          Then pour in the pan with the grease

Comment

Checkout the Cajun Ninja. He makes **** good gravy and sauces.

Comment

Like others have said, you have to cook the flour in the remaining oil for a little bit first. This will keep the final product from having that floury taste/ texture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                Dissolve your flour in some milk first
                Then pour in the pan with the grease
                Respectfully, that will get you lumpy/oily gravy.

Starches like flour are mostly made up of non-polar molecules, so they won't dissolve in something water based like milk, which is polar. There's a reason you make a roux first: the non-polar flour will dissolve in the non-polar lipid (aka fat). The heat applied turns the starch into gelatin, which then allows it to
                thicken/absorb/combine with water.

Comment

A lot of people over do the flour. Like was said before, you need enough to soak up your grease (maybe 2 tablespoons of each?), then let it brown some. Add a little water at a time to make a slurry and break up the browned flour, let it get hot then add milk to the mixture. Keep it stirred or it will be lumpy. Once the flour is broken down, let it simmer a little and it will thicken. If it gets thick quickly, then add a little more milk. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
                  (Sorry, no measurements, I just go by the way it looks and how thick it is.)

Comment

i took yall's advice and used a little flour and browned it up real dry with small amount of oil. SPG to taste it came out great. took alot longer than expected to get process working but well worth the wait. ty for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
                      pour off all but 1 tablespoon of oil. Add in enough flour to absorb the remaining oil/drippings. With your heat on medium high, "cook" the flour while string/mixing/mashing until it turns golden brown. Reduce your heat to ML. Season with S&P then add in your water and milk being sure to stir the entire time. Add water a little at a time and be sure to have your mix thick enough to add milk. After you figure it out it will be easy as can be and duplicatable every time.
                      Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                      A lot of people over do the flour. Like was said before, you need enough to soak up your grease (maybe 2 tablespoons of each?), then let it brown some. Add a little water at a time to make a slurry and break up the browned flour, let it get hot then add milk to the mixture. Keep it stirred or it will be lumpy. Once the flour is broken down, let it simmer a little and it will thicken. If it gets thick quickly, then add a little more milk. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
                      (Sorry, no measurements, I just go by the way it looks and how thick it is.)
                      I do this, but only use milk, comes out perfect every time.

Be sure to add your flour a little at a time, don't just dump it in there, that's how you get the lumps. You have to keep it very thin and spread out across the pan to keep the lumps away.

Comment

Another trick I've found is to use a flour sifter to add my flour. Pretty much does away with lumpy gravy.

Comment

thx some more grt tips.

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
                            Respectfully, that will get you lumpy/oily gravy.

Starches like flour are mostly made up of non-polar molecules, so they won't dissolve in something water based like milk, which is polar. There's a reason you make a roux first: the non-polar flour will dissolve in the non-polar lipid (aka fat). The heat applied turns the starch into gelatin, which then allows it to
                            thicken/absorb/combine with water.
                            Horse P
                            I make gravy like that every time, no lumps

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                              Horse P

I make gravy like that every time, no lumps
                              I agree. I make it that way all the time and my gravy turns out lump free. I put the flour and milk in a jar with as lid and shake the crap out if it then pour it in the grease. Turns out perfect.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X