$3000-3250 budget what rifle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rhettsker View Post
    This is good advice and what I would also recommend. I bought a Tikka CTR 308 for the rifle part which is extremely accurate and suppressor ready. Great setup. Of course, now I have changed my mind and am going to sell the Tikka and go full blown custom. Its only money.🙄
    Hmmmm, how much that tikka going to be?

Comment

As a guy that actually probably does have too many rifles, (I know, but believe me it's possible), many of which would do everything you ask and more, here is what I would do in your case...

Forget the suppressor for now. They are nice to have, but won't contribute near as much for the dollar as will a good quality rifle and glass. So, save that expenditure for later. Just get a threaded barrel on your rifle for now.

I won't tell you which brands to go with as that has to be a personal choice, but you can't beat APR's TBH special builds, and it won't be too long before they pop out another deal that is way too good to pass up. Their rifles are top notch.

As for glass, you can pick up a slightly used Leupold VX5 or VX6, Bushnell LRHS, Vortex or whatever at a great deal, or on a closeout, etc. There are deals available if you take the time to search. They all come with a unconditional lifetime warranty, so you can't lose.

I and many others have taken just about everything big enough to die with a 7mm Rem Mag, so don't hesitate to choose that cartridge. The bullet and ammo selection out there is off the charts. The performance is plenty to do what you want with ease. Are there bigger and better options? I like the 28 Nosler and a 300RUM a lot, and they will go faster and farther and hit with more authority, but for what you want the RemMag is beastly enough.

I hope this helps. Everybody has an opinion, and they should ideally come backed by experience. Mine does as does many of these fellas here. You will get many different choices, which will most all work very well for you if applied properly. In the end the choice is yours to make, and I hope you get something that makes you happy.

Comment

Originally posted by bowaddict40 View Post
        He said it was a Barrett Fieldcraft. I just looked it up and it’s more than I thought it was. May still fit his budget though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice. I have an MRAD and love it. It’s just heavy. I have heard nothing but great things about the fieldcrafts.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
          Nice. I have an MRAD and love it. It’s just heavy. I have heard nothing but great things about the fieldcrafts.

Sierracharlie out…

I couldn’t believe how light it was. It’s a really nice rifle.

Comment

I vote 280ai

Comment

Any $1000 suppressor will be good but tax and stamp you are looking at $1250. I’m running a Q trash panda and brother runs the TB Ultra 9. I think they are equivalent for most part and like the 2” shorter. Add you scope and your 2K in, so that leaves you with a Tikka CTR as an option.

Last edited by bmac; 10-28-2019, 07:36 PM.

Comment

1600-1600 split. Some real solid glass can be had for 1600 and, yes, you can build a custom rifle for 1600. Just gotta pick and choose your options.

Comment

Bergara HMR. Already threaded, very nice trigger and adjustable cheek piece. Both mine and my buddies shot really good. If you shop around you can find them for a little over $800

Comment

Originally posted by Kenner97 View Post
                    Bergara HMR. Already threaded, very nice trigger and adjustable cheek piece. Both mine and my buddies shot really good. If you shop around you can find them for a little over $800

For pure hunting I would go with the ridge over the HMR. I have both, and I like my ridge for hunting a lot more than than the HMR

Comment

Tikka T3, 270WSM, Talley Rings/bases, a Swarovski Z5, and a Silencerco Harvester.

Comment

Part of me is impatient. The other half would be wanting to wait cash in hand for someone to have to sell their ****** APR build from this year.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                          Part of me is impatient. The other half would be wanting to wait cash in hand for someone to have to sell their ****** APR build from this year.

It’s gonna happen as it has every year a couple get sold.

I’m a little nervous I won’t be able to participate in the build if they do one next year.

Comment

Few thoughts..

Why do you want a suppressor? Are you worried about noise or recoil? If you are worried about recoil brakes make a huge difference and in some cases are better than cans. Noise I am less concerned about because your ammo is super sonic and will still be loud.

Is this an elk gun that you use for back up or a Texas gun that you use for elk? I think that will drive some design parameters.

For 500 yards and in you don’t need a custom gun. Anything off the shelf with tuned ammo should produce good results.

If it were me and I was doing this, I would spend more on glass to get higher optical quality. The difference is that I can get more hunting time. My last elk, using high quality binos, I saw some cows almost 1 hour before sunrise. I watched the cows and waited for the bull. I saw the bull 40 mins before sunrise and counted antler points with my scope. The pst2 is good, but not that good. I think the pst 2 3-15 is an awesome scope. In daylight I put it up against a lot, but during twilight hours it struggles.

I would go 1500 for a used atacr or mark 5
                            I would do 500-700 for a off the shelf gun
                            I would buy a good quality stock/chassis (as most production stocks are bad, unless it’s an upgrade). If you are planning on traveling I would do a folding stock.

7mm is better than 270 imo. Just better bullets

Comment

Savage axis combo $300 it I'll kill whatever you want then put $2900 in your pocket

Comment

Seekins Havak and a Leupold MK5 3.6-18, or a Barrett Fieldcraft topped with a VX6 3-18 if you’re wanting even lighter. Skip the suppressor for now, and get more rifle and glass.

Comment

Working...
                                X