No announcement yet.

Is 1.5” @ 100 accurate enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What will you be hunting? Deer and elk or fleas and ticks? I don’t shoot a rifle much but I don’t need to put 5 shots in the same hole to kill deer and elk.

Comment

1.5” is more than good enough. Elk are big.

Comment

Got a M77 270 it likes 140 grain loads, timmney trigger and believe it or not the barrel donut thing. Still at best a 1" group gun. Hunt with that thing it works.

Comment

Personally, I wouldn’t feel comfortable with a 1.5” group at 100 and then shooting it 300-400 yards. I don’t have any gunsmith tricks or recommendations, other than I would consider a different gun for the longer ranges

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
            Did anyone mention 6.5 creedmoore
            I would if I was serious about shooting beyond 500, but for realistic hunting distances (for me) I’d like to stick with what I have

Comment

Check torque of screws holding stock to action. The angled needs really tight, the others just tight enough to not fall out. That worked on mine. Several good articles out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Get rid of that P O S Lead Sled and use sandbags. Best thing I ever did for zeroing my rifles.

Comment

Check the barrel for contact with the stock. They will usually do a 1" group. I've owned several

Comment

You would be amazed at how much more accurate your rifle will be by just changing out the factory trigger. If anything I would start there.

Comment

Try shooting it at 300yds and see. Ive had more than one rifle that shot a load at 2-300yds that wasnt its best 100yd load

Comment

Here is some info, be advised this is inch lbs and not ft lbs. Ruger customer service will also give this info and it does work. https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...7_torque_specs

Comment

Is 1.5" @100yds "good enough"?

Yes all day long

Is 1.5 MOA good enough?

Depends on how far you are shooting. The further you stretch it out, the more likely you are to wound or miss

Comment

You need to shoot it at the distance your planning on hunting at. If your planning on shooting an animal at 400 yards you gotta get out there a drop boxes of ammo at 400 to see what it does. 5-600 even better.
                            Kinda like a bow. Practicing at 40 makes those 20 yards shots that much easier. I shoot out to 600 off bags or bipod and can hit vitals but Im not comfortable enough to that with an animal. My deer stand isn't set up like a shooting range. See what you can accurately shoot repeatedly and at what distance in a real life situation not sand bags, lead sled etc take your sticks or a front rest only without a rear etc. However you will be shooting and let that be your deciding factor for distance. At least that's what I do and it's worked so far

Comment

Is it accurate enough to hunt with?
                              In just about all Texas hunting scenarios, YES.

is it accurate enough for elk out to 2-300 yards?
                              Yes, elk vitals are much larger than whitetail, but you should be ready to make a quick follow up shot just in case with lighter bullets than some preferred larger calibers, even though a .270 is plenty for all North American game.

Ways to improve accuracy?
                              It could be a ton of things that could be hindering getting the most out of your rifle. From your rest, to optics, to not right amount of torque on screws, head spacing, barrel touching stock, your rifle liking certain bullets better, the powder you are shooting, practicing more, etc.

Last year I shot a mulie at 647 yards with my 7mm that I had never shot past 500 yards. I know I’ll get flack for making that choice but I was comfortable and confident in my set up. I have experience shooting at those distances and know the gun so there was no doubt in my mind I could easily put one through both lungs. I think if your confident and know your capabilities/rifle that gun will do exactly what you want it to do.

Comment

Sell it. Contact me.

Comment

Working...
                                X