X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letting them go on the cheap.

Comment

I will admit.
      Im not too excited about any of the moves made so far... and knowing the Astros are all but out of money for any big purchases ..and will have to start dealing prospects... doesnt settle the stomach.

I dont understand not keeping chirinos.
      I dont understand keeping smith over harris.
      I dont understand the purchase of the new catcher who is not bringing that much.
      I dont understand how the **** miley got 55m...but thats unrelated to stros worries.

Comment

I’m having flashbacks of 2005. Selling off half of the players that got us to the World Series

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
          I’m having flashbacks of 2005. Selling off half of the players that got us to the World Series

I almost typed 'this has a strange 2005 odor" to it. But..i'm not there yet.
          Just trying to understand what they are doing.. or not doing..

Comment

You boys are panicking. There is still a truckload of talent on this team. The question is will the young guys step up to replace the arms that left. Nobody can replace Cole that is a given but I have hope that LMJ, Urquidy, Abreu, etc will pick up the slack nicely from the other departures.

I think the thing that scared Luhnow off of the Harris deal was the 3rd year. The Nats bit on it so let's see how it works out for them. Most of these relievers are up and down so I have a hard time believing Harris is going to give them 3 dominate years during his time there. Im glad he went to the NL and not within the division or to an AL contender.

Comment

Astros: Need relievers need relievers gotta complete the bullpen need relievers

Allows best performing reliever to leave.
              Gets a par catcher.

Comment

Will Harris is 35 years old. The Nats gave him a 3 year $24 million contract. The Astros probably won't ever sign a 35 year old reliever to a similar contract. It is a huge risk. It is an especially huge risk from someone like Harris that doesn't profile as a high strikeout guy.

The Astros are over the first luxury tax threshold and have not been able to trade Josh Reddick's $13 million contract. They just don't have much money to spend and be able to stay under the second, more penal, luxury tax barrier. This is what happens when your star young players are deep into arbitration or get extensions.

They sacrificed their payroll flexibility when they traded for Greinke. This is why teams need their young studs to pan out. Basically, Forrest Whitley's drug suspension plus bad 2019 put them in the position where they had to trade for Greinke. He needs to have a big year this year to get them back on track, though they will have a ton of payroll come off the books after this year with Springer, Brantley, Reddick, Gurriel, and Osuna all being free agents after the 2020 season.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                  Will Harris is 35 years old. The Nats gave him a 3 year $24 million contract. The Astros probably won't ever sign a 35 year old reliever to a similar contract. It is a huge risk. It is an especially huge risk from someone like Harris that doesn't profile as a high strikeout guy.

The Astros are over the first luxury tax threshold and have not been able to trade Josh Reddick's $13 million contract. They just don't have much money to spend and be able to stay under the second, more penal, luxury tax barrier. This is what happens when your star young players are deep into arbitration or get extensions.

They sacrificed their payroll flexibility when they traded for Greinke. This is why teams need their young studs to pan out. Basically, Forrest Whitley's drug suspension plus bad 2019 put them in the position where they had to trade for Greinke. He needs to have a big year this year to get them back on track, though they will have a ton of payroll come off the books after this year with Springer, Brantley, Reddick, Gurriel, and Osuna all being free agents after the 2020 season.
                  All valid.

Still smells bad.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                    I will admit.
                    Im not too excited about any of the moves made so far... and knowing the Astros are all but out of money for any big purchases ..and will have to start dealing prospects... doesnt settle the stomach.

I dont understand not keeping chirinos.
                    I dont understand keeping smith over harris.
                    I dont understand the purchase of the new catcher who is not bringing that much.
                    I dont understand how the **** miley got 55m...but thats unrelated to stros worries.
                    Miley didn't get $55 million

Comment

Originally posted by zztex View Post
                      Miley didn't get $55 million
                      I was being facetious. Anything over 500k might as well have been half a billion..

Comment

2020 Official Astros - Off Season thread

Originally posted by El General View Post

Yup. Good stuff. Ready to see these arms and Tucker

Frances Martes should be recovered from his TJ surgery and suspension. Possible power arm if he can rebound.

Cory Lee and Stubbs May be a reason no other catchers signed

Comment

Lee is going to be good...kid can flat out catch... not ready for show though...
                          I like stubbs...hes got fire...
                          new guy better hit...

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post
                            Yup. Good stuff. Ready to see these arms and Tucker

Frances Martes should be recovered from his TJ surgery and suspension. Possible power arm if he can rebound.

Cory Lee and Stubbs May be a reason no other catchers signed

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                            Lee is going to be good...kid can flat out catch... not ready for show though...
                            I like stubbs...hes got fire...
                            new guy better hit...
                            Y’all forgetting Machete?

Comment

No?

Comment

No I just feel we know what his ceiling is and just hope for more at some point.

Comment

Working...
                                X