Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FORD 6.7 DIESEL PSA - Intercooler pipe failure

I'm sure this topic is old news for some of ya, but for those in the blind-

The plastic Cold side intercooler pipe going up to the turbo has a tendency to fail when it gets old and brittle from the engine heat.

Mine let go two weeks ago at 103,000 miles while towing my fifth wheel through the Kerrville hills. I heard the noise then the truck downshifted through the gears to first.

I was luckily 2 miles from the rest area and able to limp in there via a duct tape band aid job.

Once there I dropped the trailer and limped it back to the ford dealer in Kerrville and was able to buy the part for $169.
    (its $110ish on ebay)

They told me they keep seven or so in stock since they sell quite a few of them.

I slapped it on in under 15 minutes and was back on the road (just the necessary part, not the full 2' section they sell you as one unit- the bolt on intercooler portion was to hard to get to without more extensions- I'll replace that section later)

I know personally of one other person this has happened to under a load and there is a thread on powerstroke.org asking "where you were when your intercooler pipe failed"- so this is a somewhat common occurrence.

My PSA is this- if your 6.7 ford is at ~100k+ on mileage and you plan on loading it down anytime soon you might consider replacing this part

pre-failure or at least have a better understanding of what the noise you heard under the hood was when it goes "Poof" and walks your gears down to first.

There are aftermarket metal jobs out there for $350-500, or you could just replace the factory one for ~$110 when it gets some age on it (if you aren't buying it through the dealer ) .

Luckily mine failed on a Weekday, if not I'd have been stuck or had to pull some more redneck ingenuity out of the hat. I read of one guy who patched his with a rubber hose and has you to replace it months later.

Oh and BTW, this was the first issue with this truck ever- never been in the shop for any repair besides one Co sensor that was replaced under warranty and the somewhat mandatory periodic coolant checks.

I have replaced the worn out body bushings and shocks myself.

Here are the pics to show you what I'm referring to-

Broken Piece-

The zip tie is not OEM.

Where it is under the hood-

Last edited by DaveC; 05-25-2017, 06:02 PM.

Thanks for the info! I have 87k on my 6.7l, may come in handy.

Comment

I had it replaced w/ the full metal job when i did my delete...glad I made it without this failure! Good PSA though...might save someone some real trouble.

I do know a few guys that have actually put the replacement in their toolbox for when it happens. It's not if, it's when with this.

JWB '04

Comment

I'm not. To mechanically inclined when it comes to motors, is this pretty easy DIY ? I have a '14 with 100k
        Last edited by BrandonA; 05-25-2017, 06:59 PM.

Comment

I'll need this sooner or later. '13 with 50k

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
            I'm not. To mechanically inclined when it comes to motors, is this pretty easy DIY ? I have a '14 with 100k
            Very easy.

The factory model uses some sort of spring tension clip you can see in the installed picture.

To replace one that didn't blow off for you, you would pull up on or disengage this clip then unbolt the clamp you can barely see in the third pic, left hand corner. Replace with new and rebolt- tightly- the inside to next piece it clamps to has a metal collar inside so torque down on this pretty good or it will come apart here next (according to the parts jockey at the ford dealer).

The full length piece is a lot longer, one more section of pipe past this first connection- but not the section that fails, so replacing it is not as crucial.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
              Very easy.

The factory model uses some sort of spring tension clip you can see in the installed picture.

To replace one that didn't blow off for you, you would pull up on or disengage this clip then unbolt the clamp you can barely see in the third pic, left hand corner. Replace with new and rebolt- tightly- the inside to next piece it clamps to has a metal collar inside so torque down on this pretty good or it will come apart here next (according to the parts jockey at the ford dealer).

The full length piece is a lot longer, one more section of pipe past this first connection- but not the section that fails, so replacing it is not as crucial.

Thanks

Comment

I have had this happen to me twice on my 2011. I'm contemplating putting a large hose clamp on it to help reduce some of the stress. Totally aggravating. Between this and the dadgum sensors in the exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
                  I have had this happen to me twice on my 2011. I'm contemplating putting a large hose clamp on it to help reduce some of the stress. Totally aggravating. Between this and the dadgum sensors in the exhaust.
                  Twice , the hose clamp does sound like a good Idea.

My exhaust sensors have been a non issue since 92,000 miles .
                  Last edited by DaveC; 05-25-2017, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Great info! I'm at 97K on my 15 and pull regularly so I will do this as PM

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
                      Twice , the hose clamp does sound like a good Idea.

My exhaust sensors have been a non issue since 92,000 miles .
                      Yea, it's frustrating. The Ford house used to sell just the broken short piece, but now only sell the entire assembly. I would like to hear more about the metal replacement. A part number would be fantastic!

Yea, the sensors became a non-issue after the $55 part left me in limp mode on more than one occasion. I couldn't risk it leaving me stranded with a load.

Comment

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
                        Yea, it's frustrating. The Ford house used to sell just the broken short piece, but now only sell the entire assembly. I would like to hear more about the metal replacement. A part number would be fantastic!

Yea, the sensors became a non-issue after the $55 part left me in limp mode on more than one occasion. I couldn't risk it leaving me stranded with a load.
                        Here's a quick google search result-

Find the Intercoolers, intercooler pipes, parts, and accessories you need to maintain your 2011-2016 Ford 6.7L Powerstroke at XDP! Shop today and save!

Lots of good reading on the product descriptions, some require a tuner, others don't.
                        pick up hp & torque do to better airflow.....hmm
                        Last edited by DaveC; 05-25-2017, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Great info. Thanks for sharing. I've got 143k on mine

Comment

Mine failed at 50k miles.... p.o.s. part

Comment

Cold Side Intercooler Pipe Upgrade Kit For 2011-2016 Ford 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel 6.7 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRLF23W..._qM6jzb1RHBKA0

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X