No announcement yet.

Duck Gumbo!!!!!!!................it has a pic too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lots of cajun blood in these bloodlines, we call that yankee gumbo, real gumbo is very simple....dark chocolate roux with onions, bell pepper, celery cooked until almost gone. the ducks/chickens still have the bones in them.

Comment

also, gumbo is always better the next day, we usually cook it the day before...refrigerate overnight....next day add a dozen eggs as you heat it back up very slowly......what you have is hard boiled eggs cooked in the roux. they are too die for!

Comment

Just ate lunch and this still made me hungry

Comment

Getting ready to make and freeze a bunch for this years hunting trips

Comment

Made a double batch @ same ratio.....but added double the roux. 15 min till done. Will report back (its THICK)

Comment

Tag

Comment

OK,

I got it!!!!!

use this receipt at top but for roux use 2 cups peanut oil with 3 1/2 cups flour, WOW!!! Thick with or without okra (for the Cajuns scared of okra)

I've cooked this several times and my wife just said this is it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                  Funny, the definition of gumbo is: tomato and okra soup
                  Actually...

gumbo (ngombo) is African for Okra. Doesn't have much to do with the soup part and I've only had 1 style of gumbo with tomatoes.

Ironically, the word gumbo (kombo) is also the Choctaw word for filé, which is just powdered sassafras leaves.

Gumbo is just the word for the method of thickening a soup.

Ive never had duck gumbo but your's looks good!

Comment

Sounds good, but once the roux is ready, try sauteing the vegetables in the roux, then add the water, sausage, and the ducks, also gotta have a good hen chicken to make a good gumbo!! Pluck your ducks and quarter them up. Keep meat on the bone, the skin keeps in the moisture, and keeps the meat from falling apart. season how ya like, and add chopped up green onions at the end. No okra in a chicken gumbo!

Comment

Gotta try this!

Comment

Sounds good

Comment

No tomatoes or okra in my gumbo
                          Attached Files

Comment

Yours still looks good.

Comment

Took 3 gallon bags that I cooked a week ago to Stuttgart. When they saw it they said " thats the darkest gumbo I've ever seen"

Then it was unanimous, "best duck gumbo they had ate". Made me proud coming from the duck capital !!!

Comment

Took 3 gallon bags that I cooked a week ago to Stuttgart. When they saw it they said " thats the darkest gumbo I've ever seen"

Then it was unanimous, "best duck gumbo they had ate". Made me proud coming from the duck capital !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X