Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you show me your cotton seed feeder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably to let faws squeeze in, but keep hogs out. Piglets will obviously get into the pen, but wont be tall enough to get to the feed trough for corn/protein.

Thats just my guess, i could be wrong

Comment

Originally posted by KR-oldmexico View Post
      What's up with the gap in you pen and the 3 t-most there?
      X2

Comment

You're right. This is the first time I've tried leaving a small gap for fawns in our pens and curious to see how they work.

Comment

Feeding fawns is important. Here are a couple of exerts from a Ceasar Kleberg study on fawns and feed pens. Good job on making the gaps DKJ....

If anyone would like the FULL pdf version of the study and their findings just pm me you email address.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fawn.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	24196134

Name:	Fawn2.jpg
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	24196135

Name:	Fawn3.jpg
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	24196136

Comment

FCTRAPPER i like your stuff brotha!!

Comment

Originally posted by dkj8287 View Post
              You're right. This is the first time I've tried leaving a small gap for fawns in our pens and curious to see how they work.
              I see, sadly I never thought of that nor have I ever seen it! Cool,deal...

Comment

Finally got some pictures. Below are pictures of a 15 ton delivery of WCS, the pen we made to keep out the yard goats, and a feeder full of WCS.
                Attached Files

Comment

That should pay off Big time down the road as hard as it is getting to Find yr around in some Places

Comment

I likey!

Comment

Originally posted by Aggieivy06 View Post
                      Finally got some pictures. Below are pictures of a 15 ton delivery of WCS, the pen we made to keep out the yard goats, and a feeder full of WCS.
                      Looking good! When yall plan on being back down there for a few days let me know and we'll hook up and visit..

Comment

Originally posted by KR-oldmexico View Post
                        Looking good! When yall plan on being back down there for a few days let me know and we'll hook up and visit..
                        Hoping to get a chance Memorial Day weekend but work may not permit. Gonna try to make it down before June and will hit you on the cell when (if) I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggieivy06 View Post
                          Hoping to get a chance Memorial Day weekend but work may not permit. Gonna try to make it down before June and will hit you on the cell when (if) I do.
                          Sounds good!

Comment

Wow those are cool!

Comment

So, we started adding cottonseed to our supplement program on May 5. There are signs that deer have been around the feeders (tracks on the ground and indentions to the seed pile through the wire--as if they're sniffing it) but it doesn't look like they're eating it yet. I know it's only been a few weeks and there is a lot of new growth from recent rains, but I figured they would have hit it by now since it's in the same pen as pellet feeders that get hit hard. Whining aside, I'm extremely great full for the rain and extra food it's put on the ground.

I know people have sped up the process by mixing corn or other attractants but I do not want coons and hogs to also be attracted. I realize it's probably the billion dollar question, but has anyone used anything that will attract deer to the cottonseed but not hogs and coons? We thought about the feeder tops (thx MexBowhunter) but that won't do anything for hogs.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369946821.298571.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	24205105

Also found a pretty big track in one of the pens--Ol' Slew Foot!

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369946898.276080.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	24205106

Comment

Ya looks like they are picking at it quite a bit. To start my deer I just poured a sack of corn around each basket. Didn't mix it with the corn, just went around it. That's all it took!

Comment

Working...
                                X