No announcement yet.

300wm, 7mag or 30-06?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Based on what you are hunting and the 3 choices, 30-06 all day long.

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
      i'll go out on a limb and disagree with everyone.. texas deer are small animals usually in the 100 to 150 lbs range... those 3 calibers mentioned are for way bigger game , and bullet manufacturers design bullets with thicker jackets to expand on bigger animal with more penetration. most store bought ammo in those calibers are even marked for larger game for that reason... so 2500 lbs of energy puts 500 lbs in the animal and 2000lbs in the tree behind it ... many years as an RO at my club during public sight in day also reveals many hunters with big ego bringing high recoil rifle , flinching and often incapable of shooting worth a crap , but laughing that the guy next to them has to move over due to concussion. I shot a 95 gr ballistic tip 243 for 15 years and never had to track a deer even once. they drop like a stone. old man in our camp shot 7 mag , we knew instantly when he shot and just about had to go help him every year to go chase the blood trail...

texas ... 243, 6.5 creed , 308 ... anything beyond that is just overkill and an attempt of compensation for a lack of marksmanship .

don't shoot the messenger , go look at ammo reviews on these large calibers and you'll find plenty of people complaining of lack of expansion and performance on small white tails.

now everything you shoot can kill a deer ... but sledge hammers are not the BEST solution to push in thumb tacks.

that is all ... haters ...GO!
      Hello. My name is Matt. I have a little peepee so I shoot magnum rifles.

Sorry you can’t handle the recoil. They aren’t for everyone

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post

You sir owe me a keyboard that is not covered in coke zero

Comment

literally lol'd.
          You da man Matt!!
          I agree with the last 2 sentences in your statement too

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
            No such animal as over gunned. 300 win mag all the way !
            No such animal as under gunned given the choices, the 30-06 will work as well as the others all day everyday with less recoil and more factory ammo choices.

Comment

I love the 30-06 I reload and build rifles for hunting in North America, Fiberglas covered stock full bedded etc.
              and the 30-06 would be more common today if they renamed it 30 caliber fire breathing dragon or something
              It’s a great caliber load it down with 125 bullets for whitetail and then up to 180 for big stuff
              I’ve killed several elk and aoudad with my 30-06 and nearly all my deer is with a 30-06
              I have 300 WM loaded with 230 grain Hp along with nearly every caliber down to 22 hornet and my 30-06

Comment

Originally posted by Quanah11 View Post
                I love the 30-06 I reload and build rifles for hunting in North America, Fiberglas covered stock full bedded etc.
                and the 30-06 would be more common today if they renamed it 30 caliber fire breathing dragon or something
                It’s a great caliber load it down with 125 bullets for whitetail and then up to 180 for big stuff
                I’ve killed several elk and aoudad with my 30-06 and nearly all my deer is with a 30-06
                I have 300 WM loaded with 230 grain Hp along with nearly every caliber down to 22 hornet and my 30-06
                30 creed?

Comment

typical neanderthal response , as expected , can't argue the validity of the actual composition. of a projectile / caliber purpose so you just got to and talk smack ... but then again you don't even have to leave TBH to find videos little kids killing 200 lbs hogs in TX with a 22 hornet and prove the exact point i was trying to make

you're the kind of guy who would hand him a 300 win mag to scare the crap out of him and laugh about it when he runs crying .. then never goes hunting again .. cause he can't handle the recoil ..

Comment

typical neanderthal response , as expected , can't argue the validity of the actual composition. of a projectile / caliber purpose so you just got to and talk smack ... but then again you don't even have to leave TBH to find videos little kids killing 200 lbs hogs in TX with a 22 hornet and prove the exact point i was trying to make

you're the kind of guy who would hand him a 300 win mag to scare the crap out of him and laugh about it when he runs crying .. then never goes hunting again .. cause he can't handle the recoil ..

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=805674
                    Boy your panties sure are in a wad. It was a joke dude. I have a large variety of calibers. I’m a big fan of you shooting what YOU want to. My daughter is still shooting her 22 till she is ready to step up. It’ll be a long while before she ever pulls the trigger on a big magnum. Relax man. If you want to have a discussion about projectiles and calibers we can do that. But I’d prefer to not crap in the OPs thread about his cool rifle build.

Comment

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=805674
                      that actually remind me of my old boss ... i loaded him some ammo long time ago ... 340 weatherby magnum , not that wimpy stuff yall brag about .. 86 gr imr4350 on a 220 nosler partition ...

he went hunting in oklahoma one weekend , came back to the office all cut up the next monday .... he shot a buck , on a fence line ... walked right up to it and grab the antler, deer wasn't dead , put up a fight , poked him and threw him into the barb wire fence .... guess he should have got a bigger gun!

better be tough if you ain't smart.

Comment

Boy your panties sure are in a wad. It was a joke dude. I have a large variety of calibers. I’m a big fan of you shooting what YOU want to. My daughter is still shooting her 22 till she is ready to step up. It’ll be a long while before she ever pulls the trigger on a big magnum. Relax man. If you want to have a discussion about projectiles and calibers we can do that. But I’d prefer to not crap in the OPs thread about his cool rifle build.
                        boy ?
                        panties ?

you don't know me DUDE!

original op asked what the best caliber would be for him hunting in TX ..
                        i offered my opinion based on a 100lbs texas deer ... he wanted to know what he would be happy with ... the caliber / ammo combinations i suggested are better suited for the size animal he will hunt 99.99% of the time ...

so i'm not pissing on his thread ... just offering options i believe he will enjoy more and will be more effective on texas size deer ...

if he lived in elk country , i would totally agree with those calibers...
                        so keep calling names.. it just shows how little you actually know.

Comment

boy ?
                          panties ?

you don't know me DUDE!

i offered my opinion based on a 100lbs texas deer ... he wanted to know what he would be happy with ... the caliber / ammo combinations i suggested are better suited for the size animal he will hunt 99.99% of the time ...

so i'm not pissing on his thread ... just offering options i believe he will enjoy more and will be more effective on texas size deer ...

He asked about 3 specific calibers. You came looking for a fight. Shoot whatever you please. And smile. Not sure what in the world got you all riled up. Have a great afternoon.

Comment

Out of the 3 specific calibers the OP stated for Texas game I would go in this order:
                            7mm
                            30-06
                            300wm.
                            and since you stated that you already own all three, plus you reload, I would go with with something different 280ai

Comment

boy ?
                              panties ?

you don't know me DUDE!

I’ve killed several bucks in Texas north of 200lbs. You ever heard of CAPITALIZING the first word in each sentence?

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                                Either of the three would be a good choice. My favorite is the .300WM, it has been my go-to choice since I bought mine in 1977.
                                I always said Most WM kill at BOTH ENDS..

I aint a fan of either Muzz Blast or Recoil

Comment

Working...
                                X