No announcement yet.

Educate me- adult beginner acoustic guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just started about 5 months ago and love it!! I spent about 450-500 on a Martin x cross and love it. Still terrible but loving every minute I pick it up. And the kiddo loves when I pick it up!
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
      Used seagull would be my pick
      I second this, learn to play the basic chords and you can play most songs. An ear for music is something that is learned which I don't have. I took a guitar for non music majors in college, good class and I learned a lot, but the students who had a band background were way ahead of me. No time now, but it was fun and I'd pick it up again if I had the time.

Comment

You’ll never guess where I am so I won’t ask you to try. Got a wild hair (hair up my a**??) and stopped a long-time, locally owned music store in Austin to get advice on guitars and it looks like I’ll be walking out with a new one.

Pretty excited. For $180 I got a 3/4 steel string guitar and after talking with them a while, they threw in a digital tuner, a guitar stand, various picks to try out, a set of replacement strings, and three free lessons (as long as I’m willing to come in after hours).

All told, a pretty dang good deal. Now all I have to do is figure out how to play it.

Comment

Congratulations on your new Taylor Koa. I love mine. Its a 224CE and sounds great.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
            You’ll never guess where I am so I won’t ask you to try. Got a wild hair (hair up my a**??) and stopped a long-time, locally owned music store in Austin to get advice on guitars and it looks like I’ll be walking out with a new one.

Pretty excited. For $180 I got a 3/4 steel string guitar and after talking with them a while, they threw in a digital tuner, a guitar stand, various picks to try out, a set of replacement strings, and three free lessons (as long as I’m willing to come in after hours).

All told, a pretty dang good deal. Now all I have to do is figure out how to play it.
            Lady, that’s the news we have been waiting to hear! Totally cool to have you now in the ranks of guitar players. When your fingers get sore from playing, just blame Bill. He got all this started! Good luck, and let us know how you are doing.

Comment

Originally posted by 3ChordTruth View Post
              Lady, that’s the news we have been waiting to hear! Totally cool to have you now in the ranks of guitar players. When your fingers get sore from playing, just blame Bill. He got all this started! Good luck, and let us know how you are doing.

Oh, yeah. When my fingers are cracked and bleeding and I can no longer pull a trigger, Bill’s gonna owe me big!

Of course, he’s not the only one who tried to get me on board his “train of personal growth and spiritual enlightenment.” I seem to remember that YOU were the one who threw down the gauntlet—in front of God and everyone on this forum, no less—and challenged me to pick it up after Bill got his guitar! Hmm...

Comment

Hey- don’t blame me! If I need to make amends I’m still looking for a spring bear hunting partner- parking 15 minutes from house.

What I’m finding is I have to “learn how to learn” with chords. Changing playing position has eliminated my peeking at the frets, so learning fingers placement by position and feel. My grandson loves when I practice chords and sing him silly songs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

So i just bought my first guitar.

Went with a buddy who is a guitarist.

We looked at expensive Taylors...and then less expensive ones.

Ultimately picked out a cheaper one. As he said “i wont be playing for money.”

I’m learning the basic hand positioning and chords off youtube.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Shane posted pics of basic chords, but there's a variation of the basics that I use and prefer for C, F, and sometimes G.

The C chord
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	C chord.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	24649059

You'll notice my ring finger has moved up to the low E string, 3rd fret (G note) and I'm using my pinkie finger on the A string, 3rd fret (C note). This sounds "fuller" in my opinion and makes it easy to move the F chord. Plus, if you hit the low E string, it doesn't sound weird (using this position, it sounds fine and you should strum that string.)

The F chord
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	F chord.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	24649058

Now a simple move to make the F chord is done by lowering the middle, ring and pinkie fingers down one string each and flattening the index finger to cover the high E and B strings (F and C notes).

Not shown is a quick way to slide up the neck to make the G chord from this F chord. You keep the finger shape and move up 2 frets to make the G chord.

Hope this help you guys and gals starting out and doesn't complicate things.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                      Oh, yeah. When my fingers are cracked and bleeding and I can no longer pull a trigger, Bill’s gonna owe me big!

Of course, he’s not the only one who tried to get me on board his “train of personal growth and spiritual enlightenment.” I seem to remember that YOU were the one who threw down the gauntlet—in front of God and everyone on this forum, no less—and challenged me to pick it up after Bill got his guitar! Hmm...
                      Bill, I may need to plan a hunt with you, but not with scoring a bearskin rug in mind. I might need to use your woods as a hideout.

If -- due to excessive guitar practice -- Lady fingers become sore and unable to send bullet or shot downrange, she may seek to punish the closest individual responsible for that calamity. And as Lady has noted, that would be me. Hell has no fury like a woman scorned, except for a Texas woman who loves her firearms but who cannot use them. Now Texas is a BIG state, sadly not big enough for me to successfully go on the lam hiding from an annoyed Lady. So if Lady does not find the appropriate balance between her new guitar and her guns, I may need to quickly put the geography of several states between us. Ending up in a bear camp in Montana sounds about right.

Truth is, I’d like to be jamming out some tunes right now with Lady and Bill and their new guitars. Guitars are cool solo, but are really cool with several rocking around a living room or campfire. Here’s wishing happy pickin’ to Lady and Bill and the others who have recently added a guitar to their family.

Comment

Originally posted by 3ChordTruth View Post
                        Bill, I may need to plan a hunt with you, but not with scoring a bearskin rug in mind. I might need to use your woods as a hideout.

If -- due to excessive guitar practice -- Lady fingers become sore and unable to send bullet or shot downrange, she may seek to punish the closest individual responsible for that calamity. And as Lady has noted, that would be me. Hell has no fury like a woman scorned, except for a Texas woman who loves her firearms but who cannot use them. Now Texas is a BIG state, sadly not big enough for me to successfully go on the lam hiding from an annoyed Lady. So if Lady does not find the appropriate balance between her new guitar and her guns, I may need to quickly put the geography of several states between us. Ending up in a bear camp in Montana sounds about right.

Truth is, I’d like to be jamming out some tunes right now with Lady and Bill and their new guitars. Guitars are cool solo, but are really cool with several rocking around a living room or campfire. Here’s wishing happy pickin’ to Lady and Bill and the others who have recently added a guitar to their family.
                        While it’s true that there are days when I get a hankerin’ to shoot somebody. Anybody, really. I’m not nearly as mean as they say.

As for being jamable? Oh, no, I’m nowhere even close! But I’ll agree to jam with you and Bill, just not until I’m very sure I won’t embarrass myself!

Comment

Hey there, Bill. In an earlier post, I thought I remembered you mentioning a website or YT channel where you found lessons for beginners that you really liked. Or perhaps it was you, Mr. Truth, who recommended an online or YT channel you felt was particularly good.

Either way, can anyone update me on the best place I can go to find lessons that are clear, relatable, and not too difficult to follow?

I still have not “cracked the case” on my guitar yet, but I spent all day today, off-and-on, brushing up on everything I’ve forgotten about music theory (you know, Every Good Boy Does Fine, etc., etc.), and now I have a headache. If you see me post a guitar for sale in the Classifieds forum, you’ll know that headache never went away.

Comment

First- I learned (so far) I do not beed to read sheet music to start. Forget the EGBDF stuff.

Open the case and just get started strumming it.

Second- I bought my guitar from The Music Villa in Bozeman, MT. There is a fellow there who put together a whole guitar lesson program. From how to hold and tune it to playing.

The website is guitarpass.com. The first month is free, then $10.00/month if you like it.

There’s a ton of youtube videos, but I don’t want to be interrupted by advertisements, and I wanted a progression of videos, showing what I learned and what comes up next.

That’s what I would do- try it a month and see if you think it’s worth the $10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great idea. Thanks!

Comment

Hi Lady. I'm in the same boat as you and Bill. One online lesson site that I like is JustinGuitar.com. His lessons are well structured from what I know from playing piano and violin as a kid and he charges based on what you want to pay. Very cool. Try it.

Comment

Working...
                                X