No announcement yet.

Crazy Inflated Home Construction Costs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roaring 20’s are apparently here. It’s strange seeing this play out. Shortages and price increases are making each day a headache for the cabinet business. Still bidding a lot of projects, every shop in town is behind/hiring. It’s like a mini bubble with labor wars going on and materials skyrocketing. I see it getting worse as trades fall behind and don’t watch their margins, just shoulder to the wheel until they run out of money.

Comment

Mine went up around $100,000 since last year. But I wasn’t able to get everything together until now. At least my present home’s value has increased so it’s kind of a trade off. It is what it is. No worse than a bad day in the stock market.

Comment

Theyre building like crazy around me and my tax appraisal is way up

Comment

We luckily finished building our house late 2019 / early 2020 at the start of the COVID outbreak. Since then OSB went from $15 to $45 and is expected to be $60 by summer. Would have added a LOT to the cost of the house and to be honest, we would have not built the same house.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Stalker View Post
            I just paid $60 and some change at Foxworth Galbraith for a sheet of 7/16 osb. Yeah you heard me right. And that was with my contractor account. I may be done with that lumber yard. Straight up price gouging. I had to have it right away or I’d have driven 20 minutes to HD and got it for $40......still a rip off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Was standing behind a guy in Lowe’s that had a cart full of it. When the cashier rang him up and told him the total he very loudly said......**** that!!.....and walked out and left it there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't know but it sucks! We are trying to weigh our options of getting it done now and locking in a good interest rate or waiting and hoping the material prices fall and that interest rates haven't increased enough to offset the savings on material.

Comment

Originally posted by thaRealTexx View Post
                My neighbor is a custom home builder and he thinks it could be 2-3 years.
                Increased lot development along with new home starts will be massive within next 18 months. Give it a few additional months to build up a little more inventory and the blood bath may begin. But I've been wrong before.

Comment

Up here on the Peninsula, the lumber yards are saying they will be out of wood in a month... pvc, pex, etc will be gone too....

Comment

4 new 'hoods being built here in Flour Bluff(Corpus Christi) that I know of. It's insane. Doubt prices will ever come back down. Good luck.

Comment

Can only pump so much air into a balloon. She’s gonna pop, eventually.

Comment

No chance it goes back down!

People are paying it now, why would they lower the prices

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                          Nobody is calling it what it is, but inflation is here and growing fast. This ^^^ is not a sustainable model. We can’t keep printing $, and acting like a drunk banker lending to a drunken sailor.

Truthfully we just replaced lax lending practices of the 2008 debacle with cheap money. This bubble will bust the same
                          Exactly what I was about to say. You nailed it.

Comment

Yeah, this is crazy. Wrong time to be looking. I had planned on building a Barndo for me and the kids. But don't see anyway possible now. Not going to be 200k in a 100k barndo.

I hope you guys above are right about it going back down eventually. Market is insane in Central Tx right now.

Comment

It'll go down when the interest rates go up.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                                No chance it goes back down!

People are paying it now, why would they lower the prices
                                Because they won’t be able to pay these prices when a recession hits, and a boom is never sustained, it will always bust. Interest rates will have to rise to keep up with this inflation. Combined high materials cost + increased interest rates will slow/stop the growth. Eventually california will have a surplus of housing inventory, more people are already leaving than moving in. That will drive down prices there which will eventually drive down prices elsewhere due to lower demand and less available capital.

It will come down. It may not fall to pre Covid prices, but it will come down.

Originally posted by Flex View Post
                                Yeah, this is crazy. Wrong time to be looking. I had planned on building a Barndo for me and the kids. But don't see anyway possible now. Not going to be 200k in a 100k barndo.

I hope you guys above are right about it going back down eventually. Market is insane in Central Tx right now.
                                Yep I was going to build a 25x 35-40 barn with an office and guest space, but I really only NEED the office portion, I’m not going to overspend for the rest

Comment

Working...
                                X