Cattle People (hurt bull)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You guys have always given me great advice, and so I am back.

Here are the details so I can get your best opinion.

I have a an Angus bull, about seven years old. Very gentle and a good producer. A dream bull.

Yesterday when I went to feed he had a bad limp. He seems hurt in the front. I can't tell for sure which side is causing the issue, I think the right.

He is still getting up and moving around some.

I examined him and see no wounds, no real swelling.

Part of my issue is he is too big to even go down my chute to my head gate. He also won't fit in my small stock trailer.

Touching him is not a problem.

So....What could be the issue and what should I do?

Wait and see?
    Try and get him to a vet (friends trailer)?
    Try and give him shots uncontained? (he is gentle but I don't know if he would tolerate that!)

thanks for any opinions offered.

Get a vet out to see him. They can sedate him if needed.

Comment

I would figure out which leg and paint it with DMSO and Bute mix for 7 days. If that doesn't help call a Vet

Comment

I'd guess he has hoof rot or maybe something between his hooves. Hard to say without seeing him.

I would put him in a lot so you limit his movement and walking. Then you can watch him a little better and figure out what is wrong. If he is calm enough you can give him a snoot of banamine in the mouth for inflammation. A shot of dex would probably do him a world of good.

Comment

Check his feet. mud/stick/something btwn hoof? tips hooking in and touching?

EDIT: Randy beat me

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
            I'd guess he has hoof rot or maybe something between his hooves. Hard to say without seeing him.

I would put him in a lot so you limit his movement and walking. Then you can watch him a little better and figure out what is wrong. If he is calm enough you can give him a snoot of banamine in the mouth for inflammation. A shot of dex would probably do him a world of good.
            This is what I'd do as well. Dex or LA200 would be my go to for a limp.

Comment

If it was my herd bull and planned on keeping him around, I'd have the vet check him out.

Comment

Originally posted by Fmjag64 View Post
                If it was my herd bull and planned on keeping him around, I'd have the vet check him out.
                Agreed...small price to pay for peace of mind and keeping a quality bull around IMO

Comment

Guys I would to be thrilled to have a vet come out, but they won’t. If you don’t have them in a squeeze shoot, no dice.

I once begged and pleaded and offered to pay double, when I had a cow down that couldn’t get up.

If you know a vet, northeast Houston, let me know.

He did not come to feed. He is lying in the little strip of woods at this moment.

I am going to try and give him L200 when my daughter gets here. Have no clue how that is going to go.

Thanks so much for responding.

Comment

Probably foot rot. If we can’t get them in pen to doctor we usually just dart them with draxxin.

Comment

Give him both la200 and Dex. Opposite hind quarters.

Comment

Push that LA 200 in SLOWLY and he will more than likely take it. But I would think you would be much better off with a shot of Banamine which is steroidal and will help with inflammation
                        Last edited by Tuffbroadhead; 04-06-2021, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CWaller30 View Post
                          Probably foot rot. If we can’t get them in pen to doctor we usually just dart them with draxxin.
                          That's what I was saying. Should be easy to sedate him

Comment

If he's not coming to feed I would take him to vet.

Comment

easy to check his feet for toe tips crossed over one another or something wedged between them.....

Comment

Working...
                              X