No announcement yet.

2020 Pushmataha county/SE Oklahoma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hoping to get out to my place in eastern Choctaw county in the next couple of weekends. Need to prep some new areas for small kill plots, get some access trails trimmed up, and some trees prepped for saddle hunting. Ready to get some cams out too!

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
      Hoping to get out to my place in eastern Choctaw county in the next couple of weekends. Need to prep some new areas for small kill plots, get some access trails trimmed up, and some trees prepped for saddle hunting. Ready to get some cams out too!
      My first year in a tree saddle this year. We put up some sticks for a pre-set last weekend.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Had a few decent ones hit some minerals.

Comment

Saddles!? Come on guys that sounds miserable. I find my millenniums uncomfortable after 3/4 hours can’t imagine hanging off side of tree in a crotch harness for more than 30 mins. Not dogging you guys but with the right wind you can hunt in a **** elm 5’ off the ground

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AntlersBoy View Post
            Saddles!? Come on guys that sounds miserable. I find my millenniums uncomfortable after 3/4 hours can’t imagine hanging off side of tree in a crotch harness for more than 30 mins. Not dogging you guys but with the right wind you can hunt in a **** elm 5’ off the ground

Toting melinium stands around to be mobile sounds miserable to me. It's a much better option for me than my tree climbers, any tree I can climb with my saddle set up and it weighs less to pack in.

For sets that are permanent a hang on is great. It's one of them things that you cant knock it till you try it. I was in that same boat and ended up liking it. Way more comfortable than a treestand IMO because I stand up 90% of my hunts anyway.

Comment

1st Annual TBH Oklahoma Big Buck Contest! Free Entry!

Comment

I haven't ever sat in one. Until I purchased my place in Choctaw I was a public land guy and I have missed being mobile, and more aggressive. I feel I can get super light weight on a mobile setup and sneak in on bedding areas easier than trying to hang stands in them. We will see how I like it.

Comment

Well like I said guys not dogging y’all, I’m guess I’m fortunate enough to have some private land to set on. Now I could use one of those for some wallows I set in September

Comment

Originally posted by Darton View Post
                    1st Annual TBH Oklahoma Big Buck Contest! Free Entry!

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=774544

Count me in I’m guessing scoring wins, gross I hope. Nets are for fishing.

Comment

Count me in I’m guessing scoring wins, gross I hope. Nets are for fishing.

Go the the link! We need more East boys

Comment

I guess I need to join in on this thread. We bought a little 14 acre tract up in Latimer County on Panola Mtn earlier this year. I plan on doing a little bow hunting on it. My son and I were late getting up there and didn't get the feeder and cameras set up until early June. I plan on going back up in a few weeks to check cards to see what's roaming those hills. Looking forward to this season...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200722-184856_Gallery.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	24624813

Name:	Screenshot_20200722-185134_Gallery.jpg
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	24624814

Name:	Screenshot_20200722-184919_Gallery.jpg
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	24624815

Comment

2020 Pushmataha county/SE Oklahoma

So I’ve been thinking about hunting in SE OK. Any deer up there? [emoji12]

It’s been a while. 2 years of grad school followed by the purchase of our place in Haskell county kept our Push County sightings to a minimum. This fall we (me, son, and daughter) will be back doing damage!

Me and the boy recently got his hanging feeder back in shape and put out some mineral. Despite having it 15’ in the air and at least that far from the nearest climbable pine tree, the bears managed to do some damage. We are all good now.

Just got some cameras back out so hopefully the contenders will make appearances soon.

Been on our place for 23 years now and have loggers reshaping the landscape as we speak. Areas that I knew like the back of my hand changed overnight and are continuing to change. I visited with the company man and tried to shape the cut line nearest my favorite stand to benefit us but we will see. My hope is that these boys get done quickly and move on!

Looking forward to a good season.
                          Last edited by Booner Sooner; 07-22-2020, 09:30 PM.

Comment

My main hunting lease has been clear cut to death. Use to feel like a huge lease not so much anymore. Deer love them though. Just makes it a little tough when it’s a bow only lease.

Comment

My main hunting lease has been clear cut to death. Use to feel like a huge lease not so much anymore. Deer love them though. Just makes it a little tough when it’s a bow only lease.

Not sure how much of a ratio of clear cut vs standing timber you have but my experience with clear cuts are that the second year after harvest they are a bonanza of food and a super magnet for the deer. On our place, once an area is cut I concentrate my scouting on the nearest bedding and travel corridors. Finding staging areas within the existing cover leading to the new clear cuts and hunting those have been a winner for me!

On another note, there is little that is more disorienting to me that having an area that you’ve muted for 20 years cut like crazy and then walking out of your new set at night. [emoji3166]

Comment

Originally posted by Booner Sooner View Post
                                Not sure how much of a ratio of clear cut vs standing timber you have but my experience with clear cuts are that the second year after harvest they are a bonanza of food and a super magnet for the deer. On our place, once an area is cut I concentrate my scouting on the nearest bedding and travel corridors. Finding staging areas within the existing cover leading to the new clear cuts and hunting those have been a winner for me!

On another note, there is little that is more disorienting to me that having an area that you’ve muted for 20 years cut like crazy and then walking out of your new set at night. [emoji3166]
                                Yep. Agreed on all of this. This has been my experience as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X