No announcement yet.

3D Printed fishing lures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those look great! What's the weight on the rattle traps? Should be a tuna killer if you can get the distance with it. Were you thinking like a 1/0 st66 hook?

Comment

I’ve thought about having my students build me poppers. I worry the durability of the poppers. I’d like to see how well they handle being hit. I also wonder if you could get them heavy enough to load the rod. What is the mass of the poppers without hooks and swivels?

Comment

Thanks yall. Rattle trap is 1.25oz. Have not made a larger heavier one yet. Wanted to be able to compare to factory size first. Currently have 5/0 Mustads for them.

Popper is 4.25oz. I'll report back on durability if I can get out on a tuna trip.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy360 View Post
          Thanks yall. Rattle trap is 1.25oz. Have not made a larger heavier one yet. Wanted to be able to compare to factory size first. Currently have 5/0 Mustads for them.

Popper is 4.25oz. I'll report back on durability if I can get out on a tuna trip.
          That is about right for the mass of a popper at that length. If no weight is in the tail, putting a 3X mustad as a rear hook will give it a better chance at popping as well as prevent it from tumbling on a cast. Good job.
          What have you got the material cost at per popper?

Comment

The one thing you may have trouble with is fixed positions for hooks and not having recessed swivels to attach rings for hooks. The torque of a fixed eye for mounting hooks could blow them up under pressure. I would either find a way to mount swivels in the body or go split ring->swivel->split ring-> hook. The later would be a solution for the design as is.
            Attached Files

Comment

Swivels are super easy to add to the body. PLA is cheap. It's more the time in CAD and finishing them.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy360 View Post

Size can matter as much as weight for tuna casting. My favorite tuna lure is a tackle house flitz 75g. A little over 2.5 ounces but its small and dense and cast like a lead weight compared to the bigger and heavier shibuki style baits.

Ive tried the super traps that look to be what yours is modeled off of. Also 1.5 ounce. Theyre just not heavy enough to cast well on a 40-60 popping rod. If you could get them up over 2 maybe 2.5 ounces, Id think youd be good. There's a small niche there for something that might be able to be sold. If it works, people would have no problem paying $20 a piece for them.

Comment

Originally posted by toledo View Post
                  Size can matter as much as weight for tuna casting. My favorite tuna lure is a tackle house flitz 75g. A little over 2.5 ounces but its small and dense and cast like a lead weight compared to the bigger and heavier shibuki style baits.

Ive tried the super traps that look to be what yours is modeled off of. Also 1.5 ounce. Theyre just not heavy enough to cast well on a 40-60 popping rod. If you could get them up over 2 maybe 2.5 ounces, Id think youd be good. There's a small niche there for something that might be able to be sold. If it works, people would have no problem paying $20 a piece for them.

https://billlewisfishingaustralia.co...super-trap.jpg

Good info. Thanks. Yeah I plan on sizing up a rattletrap, lots of folks talk about wanting a bigger and heavier one. Do you go offshore much?

Comment

Some glow in the dark squid and shrimp...
                    Attached Files

Comment

Wow, this is awesome, great job! Look forward to hearing the test results!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X