Good info about the oak tree recovery throughout TX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
    I wish I could say my Ash trees were doing good but I'm not sure they are going to make it or not.
    my ash trees are starting to show life. Mainly near the trunk, but better than a couple of weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by cricman View Post
      My Burr Oaks and sole Live Oak were unfazed, but my Ash tree has all but lost a battle with the grim reaper! By the way, how does Ash wood do in a smoker or direct fire grill? What, too soon?

cricman
      I checked about ash as smoke wood. From what I read, its supposed to be good. I've never tried it though

Comment

I’ve noticed about a dozen or so of my bigger oaks are only half bloomed. I figured they were burned to the freeze and should bounce back next spring.

Comment

come on A & M, is no mystery. Everything in the tree world is delayed this year, in certain areas. Shrubs are either dead or living, there is no recovery for them.
          Just don't go cutting stuff down until maybe after this year, THEN you'll know for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx.Fisher View Post
            I’ve noticed about a dozen or so of my bigger oaks are only half bloomed. I figured they were burned to the freeze and should bounce back next spring.
            I've got a few of my big oaks that are the same and sure hoping they do. Think I lost one 100 year old tree though. She still hasn't put out any leaves whatsoever...makes me sick.

Comment

We have hundreds of post oaks and there are several of our larger trees that haven’t leafed out from about 20ft and up. Strange for sure.

Comment

Thanks for the article. Was concerned about my liveoaks. Feel a little better now. Hoping they bounce back completely.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                  and have 2 big red oaks in the yard that I am worried about losing

Makes me sick just thinking about losing one of them
                  Probably close to 3' diameter at the base
                  Brian-

I've got three huge red oaks within sight of the house that I thought were gone. They didn't bloom out when all the rest of the red oaks did. I walked out there today and noticed on all of them there is new foliage all over them except for the last 3-4' of the limbs. Looks similar to when trees have been pruned and start new limb growth. Give them time would be my suggestion.

Comment

not oaks, but all of my citrus trees (grapefruit, lemon, kumquat, satsuma) went bare. 3 of the 4 finally have new growth coming back (low on the trees, for some reason). My pear had looked like crap for 6 months, immediately after the freeze it popped and has looked WAY better than it ever has.

Comment

Good info about the oak tree recovery throughout TX

I have 3 live oaks all over 150yrs old. One closer to 350yrs. Been completely leafed out for over a week now. Thank god. If they weren’t I would be panicking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I had already made up my mind to wait it out before taking any trees out, looks like that’s the professional opinion also. I hope they know what they’re talking about.

Comment

Im about to be like a spider monkey on the HOAs and COAs rear end. Rip the smurfing hawthorns out Pincheros. Replant with boxwoods. All mine have gone bonkers.

All the invasive laurels have burnt back to the ground. Yes!
                          All my oaks are rocking and rolling. The bur oak seedlings are KnA.

Im kinda hoping for a drought. Welcome to Texas...where the extreme weather...is normal.

Comment

Working...
                          X