7mm Rem. Mag Accubonds vs. Ballistic Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7mm Rem. Mag Accubonds vs. Ballistic Tips

Anyone have experience using Accubonds vs. Ballistic Tips out of a 7mm Rem. Mag for whitetail up to 200 lbs.? This would typically be for distances inside of 150 yards, but potentially out to 300.

I have historically used Core Lokts but am interested in trying these and not sure which would be best at these ranges. I'm also trying to determine if 140 or 160 grain would be best.

In my experience in high velocity cartridges the Accubonds hold up much better than the Ballistic tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Ive been shooting the Winchester 150 gr. BST in 7mm Mag and they are nasty. Never had a whitetail take a step. Shot a red stag last year at 150 yds and it made it 40 yds.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
        In my experience in high velocity cartridges the Accubonds hold up much better than the Ballistic tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        Thank you. That was my understanding as well.

Any idea whether a faster, lighter bullet (140 grain) would be better than a (marginally) slower, heavier bullet (160 grain)?

Originally posted by saintsfan View Post
        Ive been shooting the Winchester 150 gr. BST in 7mm Mag and they are nasty. Never had a whitetail take a step. Shot a red stag last year at 150 yds and it made it 40 yds.
        That's good to know too. 150 grain Core Lokt is what I had used historically but with ammo supplies being what they are I can't find 150 grain Nosler BT's anywhere.
        Last edited by Etxbuckman; 05-03-2021, 08:19 AM.

Comment

7 mag is a sizzler and doesn’t do a good job of expanding ( unless hitting bone) until you get out past the 150-200 yd mark! 140’s are great but if you want expansion within those ranges then they will need to be loaded down ! Accubonds are awesome though!

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
            7 mag is a sizzler and doesn’t do a good job of expanding ( unless hitting bone) until you get out past the 150-200 yd mark! 140’s are great but if you want expansion within those ranges then they will need to be loaded down ! Accubonds are awesome though!
            So when you say "loaded down" are you saying 160 grain would be more ideal?

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
              So when you say "loaded down" are you saying 160 grain would be more ideal?
              I’m sorry for not clarifying: loaded down is if you are a hand loader -less powder and slower burn rate!

I think that you are wanted factory cartridges though correct?

Comment

I’m sorry for not clarifying: loaded down is if you are a hand loader -less powder and slower burn rate!

I think that you are wanted factory cartridges though correct?
                Yes sir, factory ammo.

If I had my druthers I'd keep you using my 7mm-08 and shoot 140 grain BT's out of it, but Nosler seems to not be in any kind of hurry to manufacture these.

Comment

Yes sir, factory ammo.
                  For distances Inside of 150 : Barnes TTSX 140- solid copper and shoot like 160’s

Comment

Yes sir, factory ammo.

If I had my druthers I'd keep you using my 7mm-08 and shoot 140 grain BT's out of it, but Nosler seems to not be in any kind of hurry to manufacture these.
                    I use the Barnes TTSX out of my 7-08 - perfect expansion every time to 325 yds to date! But I also neck shoot soooo... anything would work

Putting my rifles back in storage and returning to my bow now !

Comment

For distances Inside of 150 : Barnes TTSX 140- solid copper and shoot like 160’s
                      That Barnes has a hard time expanding in anything.

OP. 180 Berger VLDs have performed flawlessly in mine for years. Accubond is a fantastic hunting Bullet. That or a partition is what I’d choose in any caliber for most all hunting if you don’t need long range flight performance.

Comment

These?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	24650125

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post

OP. 180 Berger VLDs have performed flawlessly in mine for years. Accubond is a fantastic hunting Bullet. That or a partition is what I’d choose in any caliber for most all hunting if you don’t need long range flight performance.
                          Good to know. I appreciate that information too.

And just to get your opinion on the bullet size, if you were going to use Accubonds would you personally use 140 or 160 grain?

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post

Not my experience at all ! Vld’s are sizzlers and don’t do well inside of 150! I shoot Vld’s out of a .243 and now my 300 win mag and they are awesome, but when people start talking about 7 mags it’s a different ball game in My humble experiences.

Comment

150 grain ballistic siivertips do a number on deer and hogs, 95% fall in their tracks

Comment

Working...
                              X