PSA: Watch for bicycle riders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
    I know where the trails are but trying to ride a bike 20+ mph on a trail with people walking their dogs on a leash is kinda like driving a car on a road with cyclist.
    Then you should understand a driver's viewpoint dealing with unsafe cyclist on narrow roads.

Comment

As a cyclist I'll keep my mouth shut but some of these remarks are unreal.

Originally posted by lovetohunt View Post
      I agree with you 100%.

Might wanna loosen up your tights if any of the first 7 posts offended you...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
        So.....you can see why auto drivers don’t like to share roads with no shoulders ......

[emoji3516]

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
          Might wanna loosen up your tights if any of the first 7 posts offended you...

I'm to old to get offended by someone I don't know, It's all good.

Comment

It is frustrating riding on roadways. People will cut you off pull in front on take right hand turns etc. Cyclists have not helped any at all as some are the rudest, unmannered people on the planet. Thats why when i go now I find a place to ride and transport there. Itvis a pain but I value the rest of my time on the green side if the grass. Can not imagine spending it like a few of the bicycle wreck folks I have seen. I prefer to feed myself and wipe my own *** instead of use a diaper

Comment

Glen can you give me some examples of safe routes where a cyclist can ride 50 to 100 miles for a training ride?
              YES SIR!!! I park at the YMCA/Rec center in Benbrook and Ride the Trinity trail system all the way to the end then ride a few neighborhoods at the end, on the way back I hit a few side trails and can get 75 miles pretty easy, if you do both Forks of the trinity you can get a 100 plus miles pretty easy. As far as traffic, I start early at 0400 or 0500 and the only people I see are other cyclists and the rare early morning runner, summer time nats are pretty bad too.

Cycling is my release from stress and ride my MTB or Gravel bike on a regular basis, when I ride on the road I do it legally in a responsible manner, last summer I was riding with a group of friends when this fine young fella decided to attempt to run a few of the guys off the road even though they were riding single file in a legal manner. Caused a big mess and a few crashes, karma caught up with the kiddo a few hours later when we rolled into a country gas station. An arrest was made and the courts ran their course..
              Last edited by Tuffbroadhead; 04-18-2021, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                Austin has the East side of Ladybird Lake that has a pave trail behind Kreig Field that connects to Guerro Park that ends up in Manor area. There and back is about 60 miles.
                Not sure which rout you mean.
                SWCT is just over 7 miles one way and dead ends at Guerro. It’s road from there to Town Lake.
                If you rode Town Lake the whole way around, then to Guerro, then to the end of SWCT, that’s close to 20 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                  The bicyclists always want the drivers to be happy to line up in a big slow moving traffic jam behind the bicycle in order for the bike rider to enjoy a safe ride.
                  This overly exaggerated and broad statement isn’t even a starting point.
                  Part of the reason there are arguments is lead ins like this.
                  There are plenty of respectful riders with perspective and appreciation for sharing the roads with different users. There are also obnoxious bad apples, like with anything. Saying all cyclists expect drivers to wait on them is like saying all cops are out to kill civilians.

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
                    How much do you pay for your bike compared to a car? Registration? Insurance? Inspection? Keep it apples to apples.
                    What’s the proportional impact? Miles, wear, etc. on the roadway infrastructure. We’d need to convert payments to Bitcoin so you can make them in $0.00003 denominations.
                    Massive government bureaucracy answer? NO THANKS!
                    If that happens you’ll be griping about all the recreational cyclists in line ahead of you at the DMV.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                      What’s the proportional impact? Miles, wear, etc. on the roadway infrastructure. We’d need to convert payments to Bitcoin so you can make them in $0.00003 denominations.
                      Massive government bureaucracy answer? NO THANKS!
                      If that happens you’ll be griping about all the recreational cyclists in line ahead of you at the DMV.
                      Considering TxDOT is now making it pretty standard to have 14' outside lanes just to accommodate dumb ****s who want to exercise in public it really doesn't matter what the impact is. The cost is there. A road vehicle is a road vehicle and if they want equal rights pay up.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                        You won’t get a lot of support here but some cyclists bring it on themselves. In the urban areas they ignore a lot of the traffic laws such as actually stopping at a stop sign, red light, etc and then flipping people off when they get honked at or almost hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

These are the bad apples that make an outsized reputation for cyclists.
                        If I see other cyclists doing stuff like this I light them up. There are a lot of others who do too.

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post
                          Yeah bicyclists and motorbike riders always say share the road, but they usually ride like they own the road.
                          This
                          Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                          You won’t get a lot of support here but some cyclists bring it on themselves. In the urban areas they ignore a lot of the traffic laws such as actually stopping at a stop sign, red light, etc and then flipping people off when they get honked at or almost hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                          So correct.

99 out of 100 I see fly right through traffic signals among other things

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Guerro east- Once you come to the end behind the tennis club there is about another 5 miles you can add with little to no traffic. Back- there is 50. Do it twice- I done it 100s of time when I worked Parks. I even did it on a 700 Polarias on calls and ran 40 mph often and almost never had to slow down

Comment

I know where the trails are but trying to ride a bike 20+ mph on a trail with people walking their dogs on a leash is kinda like driving a car on a road with cyclist.
                              If your complaining about having to slow down and avoid dogs and walkers. It’s the same thing drivers have to do to avoid us bikers. But your not able to keep up the speed with traffic, and you are most likely exceeding the speed limit on a walking trail. I ride also, but have given up on my road bike for exactly the reasons discussed here. And now ride a mountain bike on off road trails designed for mountain bike use. I find it much more technical, but so much more peaceful.

Comment

There are some Great , very responsible cyclists out there ! That being said, none of them should be riding the back roads with no shoulders in the hill country! When I lived in Fredericksburg, they were so irresponsible and cause so many near misses not to mention the accidents!

Comment

Working...
                                X