Tankless water heater froze - Now leaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
    The number one thing I have learned since starting at Tri county is never buy a tankless water heater lol. They cause nothing but problems from what I hear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ours has been in this house 10+ years with no problems, even with this past cold snap.

Comment

If you can locate the leak have a hvac guy silversolder it. That’s what the plumbers are doing in Houston since there are no parts available.

Comment

Mine froze and busted at the deer lease, just ordered a new one

Comment

Same thing happened to my mother n laws. Copper heater coil froze...burst both on left and right side. Made a mess, drip pan caught a lot, water coming out faster than pan could drain. Ran over in ceiling, leaked some into the house. Overall minor damage.
          Attached Files

Comment

Brand new conventional hot water heater for 400$?

My water heater has a grand total of 3 parts.
            tank
            element
            thermostat
            Last edited by orchard; 02-21-2021, 08:23 PM.

Comment

I like the info so far. Good thread, Tim.

Originally posted by Smart View Post
              Yup....Ol Todd-Ty729's phone was ringing off the hook for tankless waterheater repairs the last two days.
              I’m sure I’ll have to give him a holler after I have time to check the house at our lease. That thing is on the exterior, and catches the north wind pretty square. We always drain it when we leave though, so maybe we will get lucky. Now the pressure tank, storage tank, pump, ect...landowner already called to tell me wear my plumber hat when I come up!

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                The number one thing I have learned since starting at Tri county is never buy a tankless water heater lol. They cause nothing but problems from what I hear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                I have had one for +20 years and absolutely wouldn't do anything otherwise going forward. It is mounted on the inside of the house.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post

I’m sure I’ll have to give him a holler after I have time to check the house at our lease. That thing is on the exterior, and catches the north wind pretty square. We always drain it when we leave though, so maybe we will get lucky. Now the pressure tank, storage tank, pump, ect...landowner already called to tell me wear my plumber hat when I come up!
                  Good luck bud... My booster tank here in Leander/liberty hill froze bad...even with a heat lamp on it. I
                  t cracked all the way around in one spot and hairline cracked on another part.

Been out of water over a week. booster pumps aint't cheap...

Comment

Originally posted by jhunter77 View Post
                    Solder will fix that
                    That’s what I would try first, before trashing or replacing it. Not sure how thin that copper is, but you can’t make it worse by trying.

Comment

Friends tankless are
                      Mounted in attic. We know they lost one and waiting on plumber to come fix the 1” line to see how bad the damage is. The problem is the 1” line from garage went under ground and popped up at their outdoor fireplace and they routed up into the porch overhang. (Non insulated area). It’s at a low point of porch roof and we’re having to cut out an opening in the limestone! We did fine a replacement in Conroe. Luckily mine inside the house where a normal water heater would be was fine. They are great but not cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post

Yup I’m already ordering parts for my tote water systems and possible repair areas around the cabin including brass Ys and 4 ways at the hose connections. . We drained them and the cabin but you never know with a freeze this hard for so many days. Hopefully, in the feedpens, we don’t have to replace any totes ... just fittings to the trough...

Comment

I was going to try to solder mine but just figured that I would replace it. What a pain in the butt trying to retro fit the new one. And they put it where midgets would have a hard time working in.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by oneeye View Post
                            Take the heat exchanger out and take it to a radiator repair shop?
                            I have fixed 2 of these today already , Easy fix for a Reputable Radiator Shop such as Mine

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKJAX View Post
                              I have fixed 2 of these today already , Easy fix for a Reputable Radiator Shop such as Mine

There you go!!! Genius

Comment

my tankless is in the attic and we never had an issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X