No announcement yet.

Tankless water heater froze - Now leaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What’s the model number? I have a RL94e that is in perfect working condition that I was saving for sometime in the future, but don’t really need it.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_g View Post
      What’s the model number? I have a RL94e that is in perfect working condition that I was saving for sometime in the future, but don’t really need it.
      It's either the RL94e or the RL75e I can't find the number in the unit.

Comment

Parts will be tough to get but may be worth a shot.. if you can get your hands on a unit I would ASAP. If tankless units weren’t fully drained down this will be an issue across the state which means parts and tankless units will be tough to get for the next 4 weeks.

Comment

I'm curious if you left your indoor faucets off, dripping or steady stream? Hot and cold water?

Comment

Outside garage wall. I'm not a builder or plumber. But half way through this mess I was thinking should it have been installed inside garage on house wall?

They are mounted on the exterior side in order to vent properly. Units mounted on the exterior of an unheated garage are more susceptible to freeze particularly if that location receives the cold north wind
            I would think that sensor should have detected low incoming cold water flow?
            Most likely what happened is the small amount of water flow through that exchanger converted to steam & over pressurized that line to the point of rupture

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
              It's either the RL94e or the RL75e I can't find the number in the unit.

I’ll poke around mine tomorrow to see if there is another model number tag other than on the left hand side of the unit.

Comment

Take the heat exchanger out and take it to a radiator repair shop?

Comment

Originally posted by JB_Archery View Post
                  Parts will be tough to get but may be worth a shot.. if you can get your hands on a unit I would ASAP. If tankless units weren’t fully drained down this will be an issue across the state which means parts and tankless units will be tough to get for the next 4 weeks.
                  That’s no lie! More claims from tankless hot water heaters than broken pipes. Cheaper to mount them on an exterior wall than inside and have to vent them! Glad we stuck with old school stuff when we remodeled. I did have a gas line dropped at the water heater. Will go back with gas once this one craps out.

If you have a tankless hot water heater mounted on an exterior wall I would say just assume it’s busted!!

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
                    That’s no lie! More claims from tankless hot water heaters than broken pipes. Cheaper to mount them on an exterior wall than inside and have to vent them! Glad we stuck with old school stuff when we remodeled. I did have a gas line dropped at the water heater. Will go back with gas once this one craps out.

If you have a tankless hot water heater mounted on an exterior wall I would say just assume it’s busted!!

Yup....Ol Todd-Ty729's phone was ringing off the hook for tankless waterheater repairs the last two days.

Comment

There should be a packet of information on the panel you removed. Parts list and schematic. There are heaters in the unit for freeze protection but they are electric and have to have 120 volt power. You could have isolated and drained but way too late after they freeze. The thin coils, servo valves won't survive a freeze.

Comment

Good luck with the repair...one of the shut off valves and the hot water line scale filter both split in our attic, caught it as it was thawing out and started to leak, got a temporary pex line bypass done, will get it fixed correctly in a week or so. I’ll have to repair a small section of the kitchen ceiling as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Biggs View Post
                          I'm curious if you left your indoor faucets off, dripping or steady stream? Hot and cold water?

I’m reconsidering exterior mounting...

Comment

Our's froze, but nothing busted thankfully! t will have an insulated cover the next time it gets below freeaing.

Comment

The number one thing I have learned since starting at Tri county is never buy a tankless water heater lol. They cause nothing but problems from what I hear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ours failed, one of many lessons learned to drain tankless heater. It’s in the attic but we didn’t have electricity for a few days and in the madness I didn’t think about dipping a hot faucet or draining. Luckily I went out and purchased a new one immediately at a big box store and got it installed when everything thawed out. I’m sure units and parts will be hard to come by in coming months.

Comment

Working...
                                X