Barn Rat Warfare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barn Rat Warfare

I have a great barn at the house. 30’x40’ enclosed with a 30’x15’ overhang on each side. My girls raised broilers and steers and it was always a handy place to store stuff. Have a couple of nice steer pens and a coop for about 20 chickens. The problem is that feed attracts rats....big ole wood rats that look like possums and you could probably saddle for a young child to ride.

The list of things that they’ve torn up is ridiculous and embarrassing to list. Not to mention there is rat crap everywhere and on everything. I don’t like rodents. I don’t like them at all. I ain’t scared of them but my feelings on rats are like some folks feelings on snakes, spiders or hatchet murderers... they give me the hibigibis!

I’ve fought many battles. I’ve used poison, but always scared my dog would get to it. I’ve used peanut butter bait and a pellet gun, but you just can’t kill enough. I’ve tried typical rat traps and caught two baby squirrels. I’ve been battling, but after loss after loss and making little headway I decided that I was gonna concentrate my efforts on complete annihilation.

I found an idea on the interweb and made a trip to my local ACE Hardware. Some of the things I already had.

Materials needed:
    1-30gal trash can
    2- water bottles
    1- 1/4”x 36” all-thread or similar
    2- random boards for ramps
    1- Jar Creamy Peanut Butter

First I drilled a 5/16” hole equidistant apart just below the handles of the trash can.

Next, I drilled a 5/16” hole in the center of the bottom and the center of the cap of each bottle.

I took the all-thread and pushed it through from one side of the trash can, through both bottles, staged cap to cap, and through the offside of the trash can.

I put a couple of random boards from the floor to the trash can handles on each side.

Filled the can with about 12” of water and coated the cap end of each bottle with peanut butter.

The idea is that the rats will come up the ramp boards going for the peanut butter and when they jump down about 3” onto the bottles, the bottles just spin, tossing them in the water where they paddle like hell until they get tired and die like the bastages that they are.

I’ll keep you updated on the death count.

It should work well once they get over the newness. I’ve heard they do great in the 5gallon bucket versions

Comment

I've seen this kind of setup on a smaller scale for mice. It will work!

Comment

Originally posted by scott.str View Post
        It should work well once they get over the newness. I’ve heard they do great in the 5gallon bucket versions
        Those are for mice. The rats Curt is referring to would only be waist deep in a 5 gallon bucket.
        Die vermin!

Comment

Just go to the shelter and get you scrappy lookin cat

Comment

Drown you little rat bastages!

Comment

Tag...

Comment

Originally posted by scott.str View Post

I thought about the bucket route, but I can’t help but overdo stuff. It’s an illness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GoneSouth View Post
                  Just go to the shelter and get you scrappy lookin cat

Hahahahahah....I’ve been through 5 cats in as many years. Some went missing. One is in Witness Protection. These rats will stand flat footed and screw a full grown tomcat!

Comment

They can swim/rat paddle for 5 minutes before they give up. How do I know.
                    Don't forget to check on your trap daily as they will get quite odorous in a short time. You will have such satisfaction that you'll probably start a thread about kill #s.
                    Good luck.

Comment

city boy who used to have country. Now I can not use my 12 gauge with 00 buck. (I realize a tad weak on power for a texas ratfink) and having heck with rats in my garage, gardens and wifes city dwelling pest feeders (bird and squirrels). Looks fun. I think it will work?

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                        Hahahahahah....I’ve been through 5 cats in as many years. Some went missing. One is in Witness Protection. These rats will stand flat footed and screw a full grown tomcat!

Thats your problem. "Tom cat" Get you a momma cat with kittens and ill guarantee she'll whack your rat problem.

Comment

Might as well have some fun with it.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzQ9KFClq0o"]Cannon Mouse Trap - The World's Craziest Mouse Trap. Mousetrap Monday - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

This works like a charm. Yours is just a bigger model than mine lol. I use a 5 gallon bucket and have caught 14 in one night. My season total this year so far is 63. I also throw out Tom cat green bars around our barns, house and stuff (out of reach of livestock & other animals). And haven’t had any issues with mice getting on the inside anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Laner7 View Post
                              This works like a charm. Yours is just a bigger model than mine lol. I use a 5 gallon bucket and have caught 14 in one night. My season total this year so far is 63. I also throw out Tom cat green bars around our barns, house and stuff (out of reach of livestock & other animals). And haven’t had any issues with mice getting on the inside anymore.

What did you bait the 5 gallon bucket with?

Comment

Working...
                              X