Silencer/Suppressor Bill making some headway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
    They can have my stamp money for my 2 if they will just fast track this through and instantly approve all stamps that are currently pending.

I'm at 199 days as of today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    And why? They can find out everything they need to find out about you in 10 minutes. Typical government inefficiency.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by lungbuster1985 View Post
      So I understand that you will get a tax stamp refund on any "recent" suppressor purchases, that's awesome. But what will I do with my trust? Do I transfer my current cans to myself or do I leave them as trust property? Would it be possible or beneficial for me to somehow use my trust to purchase additional items if this does pass?

I'm all for this to pass!

But... Like 150class, I guess I'm gonna have to find another "cool kid" club to join. But I'm running out of clubs. The hipsters ruined beards, craft brews, and flannel for me.

Why would anything be any different? You use the trust for reasons other than the fingerprints and photos which was nullified anyway with the passage of 41F. You also no longer have to have CLEO approval, just notification.

Comment

I have 8 cans.....
        I hope it passes and they can keep my money.
        It is a silly law any way.
        In South Africa guns are hard to buy but you can buy a can at Wal Mart.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
          They can have my stamp money for my 2 if they will just fast track this through and instantly approve all stamps that are currently pending.

I'm at 199 days as of today.

...im at two weeks. ughhhh

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
            Hope it passes, I would love to have a silenced 22, but $1,000 love.
            You can suppress two .22 rifles for that assuming you already have the rifle. 200 dollar cans are out there

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
            I wonder when it can pass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Trump supposedly said he was signing it in the first 100 days...

Prices are already lower than when I bought my first. 725 for an sdn 6 last week. That said it can rise a couple 100 and still be at what it cost when they first became legal

I've been told the manufacturers are building as fast as possible. One rather large supplier is buying them up in anticipation.

Comment

Silencer/Suppressor Bill making some headway

Originally posted by Artos View Post
              ...im at two weeks. ughhhh

I figure I'll be lucky to have them in hand in April since they are not through a local dealer (still in Texas though).

It's asinine the approval process takes so long.

I have a couple more I want. I guess I need to get with it if I want to have them by 2017 hunting season.

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
                I guess I'm in the minority of hoping it doesn't pass to avoid every swinging blah blah to have one out in the field?

I kinda like the whole special club deal like being P&Y on here

Would 100% be for a law that knocked the wait time down to a couple weeks or a month though
                Lol, you could be in the special club of people actually capable of shooting accurately with one.

Half the conversations I hear from AR guys with suppressors at ASC. "Yeah, I shoot sub MOA all day long with this thing". 5 min later, we go down to the targets, they are lucky to hit a 12" target.

Comment

Originally posted by lungbuster1985 View Post
                  The hipsters ruined beards, craft brews, and flannel for me.
                  That is the funniest thing I have heard in a while.

Comment

I think if you already have a CHL that should be good enough to pickup a suppressor the day you purchase. IMO

Comment

If this passes that's how it will be.

Comment

If this goes thru, I'm gonna by me that little NC machine I've always wanted... Be a good retirement bidness... Becoming a legal manufacturer should be easier too...

Comment

Originally posted by MasonCo. View Post
                          Ya pretty dumb

X3

Originally posted by MasonCo. View Post
                          The only bad thing will be increase prices on cans.

I don't see why we'd see an increase in price; certainly not in the long run. Current pricing is based on production for a limited market. Small companies making suppressors one at a time. This means companies need to have a significant profit margin built into each suppressor. If the HPA passes the market will explode opening the opportunity for mass production and for smaller profit margins and lower prices.

Right now, the suppressor market is made up of a very small segment of the shooting community that's willing to pay $750-$1200 on a suppressor. NFA or not, the average Joe is unlikely to spring for that much money for a suppressor. If some of these small companies don't recognize that, they will be in big trouble from companies like Sig that have the capacity to ramp up production and work on smaller margins to bring affordable products (in quantity) to market. Let's face it, while cans are popular on here, they're just not a common item for most US gun owners - they're one of those 'pipe dreams' for the average guy. They're too expensive and the paperwork is too complicated and too much of a hassle for them. If the market is expanded to include all those folks, prices will come down - basic free market principles will come in to play. Remember the Clinton Assault Weapons Ban. When it was in force, lower receivers were crazy expensive. When the ban was allowed to sunset, we didn't see those prices increase or even stay high; we saw them decrease. Today, you can find lowers under $100. Suppressors should be the same.

Of course there will be some initial blips in availability and we may even see SOME price increases. I think those price increases will be from disreputable dealers trying to take advantage of shortages. The manufacturers (at least those with competent CFOs) will be focused on increasing production and reducing the related costs. Suppressors are WAY over-priced for what actually goes into making them. They're simple devices that would be easy to make in mass quantities. While they're NFA items it makes no sense to make them in huge quantities; but the HPA would change all that, if passed.

There is really no down side to the HPA. If we see more companies getting into the suppressor business, we're likely to see advancements in capabilities coming quicker than we do currently. A drastic and sudden increase in the market, and the competition for market share, will fuel R&D much more than we've experienced in the past few years.

JMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've got my trust and suppressors but to heck with some "club" I really want this to pass. Suppressors should have never been part of the NFA to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by Horitexan View Post
                              X3

I don't see why we'd see an increase in price; certainly not in the long run. Current pricing is based on production for a limited market. Small companies making suppressors one at a time. This means companies need to have a significant profit margin built into each suppressor. If the HPA passes the market will explode opening the opportunity for mass production and for smaller profit margins and lower prices.

Right now, the suppressor market is made up of a very small segment of the shooting community that's willing to pay $750-$1200 on a suppressor. NFA or not, the average Joe is unlikely to spring for that much money for a suppressor. If some of these small companies don't recognize that, they will be in big trouble from companies like Sig that have the capacity to ramp up production and work on smaller margins to bring affordable products (in quantity) to market. Let's face it, while cans are popular on here, they're just not a common item for most US gun owners - they're one of those 'pipe dreams' for the average guy. They're too expensive and the paperwork is too complicated and too much of a hassle for them. If the market is expanded to include all those folks, prices will come down - basic free market principles will come in to play. Remember the Clinton Assault Weapons Ban. When it was in force, lower receivers were crazy expensive. When the ban was allowed to sunset, we didn't see those prices increase or even stay high; we saw them decrease. Today, you can find lowers under $100. Suppressors should be the same.

Of course there will be some initial blips in availability and we may even see SOME price increases. I think those price increases will be from disreputable dealers trying to take advantage of shortages. The manufacturers (at least those with competent CFOs) will be focused on increasing production and reducing the related costs. Suppressors are WAY over-priced for what actually goes into making them. They're simple devices that would be easy to make in mass quantities. While they're NFA items it makes no sense to make them in huge quantities; but the HPA would change all that, if passed.

There is really no down side to the HPA. If we see more companies getting into the suppressor business, we're likely to see advancements in capabilities coming quicker than we do currently. A drastic and sudden increase in the market, and the competition for market share, will fuel R&D much more than we've experienced in the past few years.
                              This guys gets it. I will throw two other pennies into the wishing well:

1. Forget about the $200 refund. Even the most conservative Congress in the world ain't gonna go around giving $200 back to every guy who bought a can since fall of 2015. That provision is a sacrificial lamb—the conservatives will offer to kill it in exchange for more votes from those on the fence.

2. My only real concern about this bill passing is what happens when the rabid liberal news media starts reporting about the increase in crimes being committed with suppressors. I hope the voters do not swing the pendulum too far back the other direction.

Comment

Anxiously waiting.....

Every gun I own that is capable will wear a can.

Comment

Working...
                                X