No announcement yet.

Stranger danger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A better way? Of course not. Telling them the truth was perfect. You did good in my opinion. Sugar coating is part of the problem with parenting and some folks these days.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
      Yesterday our school sent out an email stating that at 10am some chucklehead was at the fenceline taking pictures of the kids, and the day before some fool (not sure if it was the same person) was in the bushes watching the kids. Coulda been some kids dad, coulda been a pedo...but in this day and time that's a pretty good way to end up nibbling on the grille of my F150.

So at dinner I explain what happened to my kids. Ages 6, 8, and 9. I shook em up pretty good. We talked about not talking to strangers but also that they need to be aware when out in the front yard and to look out for one another. My boys look out for each other and both look out for their younger sister. Best thing to do is to come inside if they aren't sure; or find a teacher. Be on the lookout for people who pass by the house more than once and cars that slow down or roll down their window.

I've also told them that if anyone ever grabs them to bite the **** outta the person. Bite em in the face, poke the eyes, scream STRANGER as loud as possible, and that no amount of violence is wrong if someone is trying to grab them. I don't care if it's some 86 year old grandma with a walker, I'd rather deal with the lawsuit after my kid bit her top lip off and blinded her than the risk of the alternative.

So, obviously it took a while to settle them down for bed. Afterwards, I got to wondering if there is a better way or anything else we need to teach them. So, if y'all have any suggestions I'm all ears. Ears. Oh yeah I told them to bite those too, shake like a dog, and tear em off if they could. Just hold them off until daddy, his dog, and his shotgun could get there to help them.

Nope you did perfect. There are evil people in this world and it doesn't need to be sugar coated. They shouldn't be scared to go outside or anything but they do need to hear the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by ArcheryAddict View Post
        it is really sad to say it and feel bad for doing so, but I can't help it.

I think all pedophiles should be killed. No death row, no ten or more years on the row waiting for appeals.

I really dislike feeling that way but it is what it is.

I'm in favor of "dead offenders" instead of "repeat offenders"

Comment

Originally posted by Tower43 View Post
          The stranger kidnapping sexual assault, is much more rare than people think it is compared to 80-90 percent of the time kids are being sexually assaulted by someone you know. Either family, or that guy who "is just so good with kids".

Be more careful of the nice guy who is gaining your trust, that's how this stuff really happens, people are more comfortable thinking its strangers doing this stuff

Sorry for the side track and to the op, yes you were right on
          I was going to point this out as well. I know families that have been torn apart by what a retaliative has done to another child. We teach our kids as well as we can that private parts are not to be touched by anyone unless a medical reason comes up and Mommy or Daddy are there.

My daughter is 6 and I tell her all the time that it takes a split second for someone to grab her. She likes to stray away in public and gets really upset when I get on to her for it. We've had the stranger talk several times, even this year at Bownanza. You just never know who could walk up. I've told her to scream, run and fight as hard as she can. Teaching her how to fight is something we need to work on too.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
            Police were called but the person had already left the area. A description of the man was included with the email from the school. White male, mid 30's, long hair, type of clothing. Coulda been a kid's dad, coulda been someone bad. Minivan mom patrol was out in force this morning!
            Could be an investigator for a divorce attorney seeing what dad sent them to school wearing. Ask me how I know.

Comment

I have no advice. My kids no the dangers and I am still the paranoid dad that will not let his kids go to the rest room in a store or restaurant by themselves. Never know what may be lurking in there. I see you kids (even young girls)all the time that are alone in stores or restrooms unsupervised by anyone. I pray they don't become a statistic but I try to keep better tabs on mine than that.

Comment

This is why my son and daughter are second degree black belts. Yes it is a great base for defense, but the school we go to has ground and pound nights where rules go out the window to train for actual fights. Also one of the instructors teaches pressure points and matches the kids up with adults so they know how to take them down. My 10 year old knows how to put me on my knees and I couldn't be prouder.

OP- great job making your kids aware!

Comment

Working...
                X