Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any experience with DIY propane fire pit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to surprise the wife with a Valentine's Day gift of a propane outdoor fire pit... I feel confident in building it myself, but I'm really not sure where to find the cheap setup as far as the the burner and hook ups go. I see them for like $200 or so and $500+ for a kit which seems outrageous. I figured this would be like $50 from home depot...

Y'all got any suggestions?

Stanbroil LP Propane Gas Fire Pit Burner Ring Installation Kit, Black Steel, 18-inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I32H7NY..._yUDyCbQCT5KT2

Comment

I made one from an old whiskey barrel and an old propane grill. I used the disc from a cheap fire pit and just cut a hole in the bottom to run the propane hose through. I covered the burners in lava rocks. The only thing I bought was the lava rocks. I had the rest laying around. It looked cool, but didn't put out a tone of heat. If I did it again, I would get a burner for a fish fryer. I think that would put out more heat.

Comment

The rings you can order from Amazon, like the one posted above. The only problem is the venture (the part that draws in the air) needs to be opened up a little bigger and not buried up in the rock. It needs to be able to get plenty of air or all you will have is orange greasy flames that stink.

Comment

Originally posted by rferg84 View Post
          Stanbroil LP Propane Gas Fire Pit Burner Ring Installation Kit, Black Steel, 18-inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I32H7NY..._yUDyCbQCT5KT2
          To me, $180 seems a bit steep... Is this really what these things cost??

Comment

The rings are stupid expensive, the rest of the kit costs about $50.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
              To me, $180 seems a bit steep... Is this really what these things cost??

And up...

You could build your own..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

And you have to finish it by Thursday LOL

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
                  And you have to finish it by Thursday LOL
                  Heck no. She will be getting a card with a note saying her gift is a custom fire pit to be completed by 2/14/2020.

Comment

Good job on the completion date, plenty of rain out (hunting/fishing) days in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Wick1369 View Post
                      Good job on the completion date, plenty of rain out (hunting/fishing) days in there.
                      Yep. Been down this road before... 2017 was building a shed. It was my first time attempting pretty much any DIY project. Told her $3,000 and 2 months.

$7,000 and 6 months later, I was finally out of the doghouse that coincidentally I had been building.

Turned out alright though.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by ctom87; 02-11-2019, 04:18 PM.

Comment

I made this one myself. I bought the ring through amazon. If I remember, it was only like $50.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Amazon!

Comment

Originally posted by Efren View Post
                            I made this one myself. I bought the ring through amazon. If I remember, it was only like $50.
                            Thats a gas line right? Since I don't see a propane tank?

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                              Thats a gas line right? Since I don't see a propane tank?
                              It's actually propane. I buried the line under the flagstone. I use the same tank for both my propane grill and fire pit

Comment

Working...
                              X