Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any mechanics want to take a stab at this problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any mechanics want to take a stab at this problem?

My daughters Saturn Vue is having issues with it running rough and sputtering. She can turn it off for a few minutes and it will start up and run fine. She had this issue twice in two days and I had her check the code the 2nd time which came back with a p2135. The code is for the throttle/pedal position sensor/switch a/b voltage correlation. Most of the stuff on the web says it's the throttle body. I held off on replacing it and it had no issues for 5 days then started again. After it happened again I made the connection that it was only happening on really damp and wet days. With it running fine on dry days I'm ruling out an issue with the throttle body, unless someone with more experience can shed some light on why it would only be affected in wet weather.

The car is a 2008 model with the v6. My plan was to start looking at plug wires that may be nicked or worn and maybe recheck connections to coil pack. Other than that I could use some suggestions or maybe someone has experienced a similar issue.

Sticky throttle body? Pop it off and give it a good spray down with carb cleaner maybe?

Comment

Carbon build-up in Throttle Body?

Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) toast maybe?

Idle Air Control (IAC) Valve dirty?

Comment

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5JFju6Y694"]Chevy / GMC Code P2135 TPS Problems - YouTube[/ame] eric is da man!

Comment

Have you tried the seafoam treatment?

Comment

Probably not the issue but I worked on a 4 wheeler that stumbled and choked in damp weather. Turned out to be sparkplug.

Comment

Sounds like a throttle body position sensor to me

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Comment

I get the p2135 being a throttle body issue, but don't see why it would be fine on dry days and only have the issue in wet weather. It would seem the TB is either good or bad. I'm sure it could use a cleaning though.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard M. View Post
                  I get the p2135 being a throttle body issue, but don't see why it would be fine on dry days and only have the issue in wet weather. It would seem the TB is either good or bad. I'm sure it could use a cleaning though.
                  It's the sensor, hence an electrical component and moisture does crazy things to them. It runs fine when you first fire it up because the computer is running open loop more than likely and until the operating temperature comes up the system won't go into closed loop. When it goes into open loop and the computer sees wacky data coming in it gets confrused.

Comment

Cvc valve?

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                      It's the sensor, hence an electrical component and moisture does crazy things to them. It runs fine when you first fire it up because the computer is running open loop more than likely and until the operating temperature comes up the system won't go into closed loop. When it goes into open loop and the computer sees wacky data coming in it gets confrused.
                      Not saying your wrong cause you seem to understand it pretty well, but by would it go 5 days with no problems in dry weather? It seems like if it was the sensor it would still do it after getting to temp and going closed loop on a dry day.
                      I guess wet weather could cause the actuator to be extra gummy and stick if it was dirty.

Comment

Spray the TPS sensor connections with WD40(Water Displacement, 40th Formula).. It can work wonders..

Comment

Some codes take a few cyles before they throw a check engine light

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                            Spray the TPS sensor connections with WD40(Water Displacement, 40th Formula).. It can work wonders..
                            The last time I looked at it I blew out the tb connector with compressed air and added dialectric grease to the connector seal. It was good until it rained again.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard M. View Post
                              Not saying your wrong cause you seem to understand it pretty well, but by would it go 5 days with no problems in dry weather? It seems like if it was the sensor it would still do it after getting to temp and going closed loop on a dry day.

I guess wet weather could cause the actuator to be extra gummy and stick if it was dirty.

During dry conditions the windings are fine. Moisture changes the resistance. OBDII normally runs on a 5V reference. It doesn’t take much to mess things up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X