Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cloned VIN - Need help from the auto industry experts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cloned VIN - Need help from the auto industry experts.

Okay, so to make my long story as short as possible - I was trying to get a new TRX a few months ago. I was going to trade my Jeep Trackhawk. When the dealer that was going to buy my vehicle looked it up, they said it was just sold at an auction and listed for sale and Grubbs Infiniti in DFW. I told them that wasn't possible. It was sitting in the parking garage and I just drove it to work.

After tons of work with the TX DMV, FL DMV and Tarrant Co Autotask force, we were able to get things resolved for the most part. Tarrant Co Autotask force found the stolen vehicle with my cloned vin and I turned in all the documents to the the TX DMV to reclaim me vehicle history.

But now their is still a problem. When I pull an auto check, the mileage listed is 28k. My vehicles actual mileage is 55K. The vehicle still shows being bought and sold in FL which it never was. but shows me again as the current owner. How do I explain all this to a dealer? What else can be done so that the carfax reflects the actual history of the car? Will I ever be able to get rid of this vehicle for fair market value?

Its a cluster and I just want to get a different ride! The only thing I can think of is selling it to a shady dealer that would have some way of rolling back the odo to match the carfax! But I'm pretty sure that's illegal.

Any suggestions or help from the TBH braintrust?
    Last edited by JBJTX81; 01-20-2022, 04:46 PM.

Just roll with it...go get what you want and don’t bring anything to the table that’s not needed. The shady dealer idea is a poor one...

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
      Just roll with it...go get what you want and don’t bring anything to the table that’s not needed. The shady dealer idea is a poor one...
      When they run a carfax they will see 28k miles and my vehicle is double that. What should my response be?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Comment

What year is your Hawk?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by JBJTX81 View Post
            When they run a carfax they will see 28k miles and my vehicle is double that. What should my response be?

Do you have documentation from the Auto task force and from the DMVs?

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
              Do you have documentation from the Auto task force and from the DMVs?
              Yup...lots

Comment

You could tell them you just got back from a long road trip. lol

Comment

If you have all,the documentation call carfax, send them the info and they can remove items off the report. I had a oil change place put the wrong mileage on a truck I had and it showed as a discrepancy on the report. Luckily I still had the inspection sticker that was correct on it and sent them that and they removed the mileage alert. Ran the report again and everything was good to go when it got traded.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                    You could tell them you just got back from a long road trip. lol
                    Driven the country cost to cost 4 times in the last 6 months.

Comment

Yup...lots

Make sure you’ve got that documentation with you when you go to the dealership, and keep copies of it all even if you trade it.

Comment

Driven the country cost to cost 4 times in the last 6 months.

If you got over 9 mpg you were doing it wrong👍😃

Comment

Originally posted by KDinTX View Post
                          If you have all,the documentation call carfax, send them the info and they can remove items off the report. I had a oil change place put the wrong mileage on a truck I had and it showed as a discrepancy on the report. Luckily I still had the inspection sticker that was correct on it and sent them that and they removed the mileage alert. Ran the report again and everything was good to go when it got traded.
                          I've talked to them via email. They don't have a number posted and wouldn't give me a number to call. They said they won't change anything without it coming from a dmv (as it relates to still showing 1 buy/sell in fl). The last mileage reported is based on the one buy/sell from Florida. Florida updated a bunch of items but that one is still there. Not sure why it wasn't removed and the other 3 times it was sold in auction were. FL dmv says they've talked with tx and based on thier records with tx everything is filed correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Blownshelby View Post
                            If you got over 9 mpg you were doing it wrong[emoji106][emoji2]
                            11. Most mountain roads were too twisty...lol

Comment

I don't think it will be an issue since your odometer shows more than the carfax. Now if the odometer showed less than the carfax flags might fly.

Comment

Working...
                              X