Cottonseed on 40 lb bags.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bdub25 View Post
    I buy the 1000# super sack for $180 at the gin. no need to shovel into baskets, just back into your pen, have somebody help drag the bag off the trailer, and cut the bag open. Very easy.
    Yes those big bags are 1000 (1/2 ton)
    160 x 2= 320 per ton

But when you load it by hand it weighs 3 tons (feels like)

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
      Deer won’t touch it at my place .
      So far this is what I'm experiencing. Hope it changes!

Comment

We used to buy bulk buy the 18 wheeler. We stock piled it and would come out and have deer standing on top of the mountain of cotton seed

Comment

Originally posted by Droptine3030 View Post
          I have been getting Cottonseed for $270 at Mereta Coop. $14 a bag is insane someone is making a small fortune. Even at $270 a ton in bulk it’s cheaper than pellets , and it’s so much more in volume Cottonseed vs Pellets way more of a filler. I have never had a problem getting deer started on it. Usually I will add corn mixed in until they take to it.
          Does the Mereta Coop. deliver super sacks?

Comment

I usually get a few trailer loads from our local gin each year. Had to Passed on it this year at 320 a ton.

Comment

Originally posted by SBurk View Post
              Does the Mereta Coop. deliver super sacks?
              No sir I don’t think they deliver Supersacks .

Comment

We just bought 4 tons at $270/ton. It's still cheaper than protein and if I had to guess protein and corn will continue to rise this year so I'll continue shoveling cottonseed as it does help slow down the consumption of protein and provides another high quality feed for the younger bucks and doe.

Comment

Anybody seeing these prices up around Throckmorton? We are going to start on our place but struggling to find in bulk or supersacks at the right price. We are seeing the $14/bag at the local feed stores and know we can do better than that.

Comment

I just paid $200 for a 1K sack but a ton was $310. You get a $10 discount if you bring your sacks back. Just like OP, it's our first time trying it. The deer were awful spooky to see the white columns in the feeder pens the first two days. They will obviously settle down but fingers crossed they will eat it.

Comment

We started last year and they didn't touch it for three months. right now, I can't keep enough out, they eat it all day everyday

Comment

Anyone know where to get bulk cotton seed near llano/ San Saba/ goldthwaite area?

Comment

you have to mix it with something they like or they will ignore it. Its been getting more expensive even in bulk the last 2 years. i am feeding a mix of cotton seed and peanut hay. no matter how you slice it, it's still cheaper than pellets.

Comment

Originally posted by BLee15 View Post
                            Anyone know where to get bulk cotton seed near llano/ San Saba/ goldthwaite area?
                            +1. Feed store in Brady doesn’t have bulk. Just left there

BP

Comment

I’ve tried it 2 full years with several methods in wood county… deer never touched it. Finally removed cages and hogs ate it.

Now out west, they will eat you in the poor house. Just different herd preference

At the price I can get it, I can still feed protein at same or cheaper… and they eat the protein, which is what they have to do for it to work… that and survive to be older than 3 yo

Comment

Originally posted by Duckhead78 View Post
                                So far this is what I'm experiencing. Hope it changes!
                                Middle of summer once most of good browse is gone, they hit it and hit it hard. It took them a while but once they hit it, theyll eat every bit of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X