Cottonseed on 40 lb bags.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cottonseed on 40 lb bags.

We put out some cottonseed yesterday. Bought it in Llano in 40 lbs bags as an experiment. Paid $14 for 40 lb sack. It was pretty easy to empty into a cage.

Just a small place and supplementing, not high fenced or high population of deer.
    I already have protein feeders in place and food plots, but no real rain in months.

Is my $ better spent on protein by the 50 lb bag unless I am buying cottonseed in Bulk?

BP

PM sent

Comment

Cotton seed in bulk at $160 a ton was worth the added labor to shovel it. Now, just pellet form for me.

Comment

Buy bulk cottonseed is about 3 cents a pound. You just paid 35 cents a pound. Not hard to figure out. You can feed more and longer for a little bit of effort. Most gins will sell you a pickup bed full.

Comment

Deer won’t touch it at my place .

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
            Buy bulk cottonseed is about 3 cents a pound. You just paid 35 cents a pound. Not hard to figure out. You can feed more and longer for a little bit of effort. Most gins will sell you a pickup bed full.
            3 cents !! I feel dumb.
            Well, glad we only got 3 bags as an experiment.

I don’t mind the work. I guess it depends on they eat this before I get a truck load.

Thanks.

Big pig

Comment

Where the heck are y'all finding bulk cottonseed for $160/ton, much less $0.03/pound???

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                Where the heck are y'all finding bulk cottonseed for $160/ton, much less $0.03/pound???
                This ^^

I would like to know myself

Comment

Get ready to work your butt off if you buy in bulk.

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                    Deer won’t touch it at my place .
                    give them time...

Comment

Took two years for ours to take to it

Comment

Fat fingered the calculator. It is 8 cents a pound if you get it for $160 a ton

Comment

3 or so years ago we had the gin dump 5 tons at a time for $160 a ton. Once price shot up, we gave it up and back to pellets.

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post

Comment

I buy the 1000# super sack for $180 at the gin. no need to shovel into baskets, just back into your pen, have somebody help drag the bag off the trailer, and cut the bag open. Very easy.

Comment

I have been getting Cottonseed for $270 at Mereta Coop. $14 a bag is insane someone is making a small fortune. Even at $270 a ton in bulk it’s cheaper than pellets , and it’s so much more in volume Cottonseed vs Pellets way more of a filler. I have never had a problem getting deer started on it. Usually I will add corn mixed in until they take to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X