Bad Shot on buck, feeling like crud!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Shot on buck, feeling like crud!

Made a bad shot in an old deer that I have been hunting hard for 13 days. 156 yards with 300WM and deer hit the dirt like a sack of potatoes. Made a few calls, sent a few text, cleaned up blind, went and got truck and as I pulled up to feeder probably 15 minutes after shot deer stands up and runs off. Not a drop of blood, gave it an hour and brought a dog in, nothing. Saw the deer when it went to run off and it looked to have a hole high (real high) and just a tad back. I feel horrible, deer was not a giant but he was old, unique, and I had hunted him hard. I practice all year for this opportunity and I blew it. I love to hunt but man days like this are hard. I feel for the deer, he didn’t deserve to suffer. Hopefully he comes back.

He’s probably not hurt bad, just a shot close to his spine. I’m sure he’ll recover but he may not like that place anymore.

Comment

Curious what bullet you’re using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
        Curious what bullet you’re using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        Federal 180gr SP

Comment

Yep, been there. No fun at all. Probably happened like Dry Creek said. Best cure is to get back out there.

Comment

I had similar thing happen a few years ago but I got another shot off and hit him in hind quarter.Dogs ran him several miles and then disappeared.The ranch didn’t see him again that year and figured him dead.Another guy shot him the next year with healed wounds of upper and rear shoulder shot pass through also shot through both hind quarters just through muscle.Crazy thing he went from being 165 inch deer to a upper 175 inch deer.I was absolutely sick when I lost that deer I feel your pain but hopefully something good may come from it.Stay with it!

Comment

Grandpa hit one like that. Dropped him for about 10 minutes then he ran off. Showed up after two weeks and was still alive a few seasons later when we lost the lease.

Comment

I know I sound like a broken record but if you hunt enough it will happen! It can happen with any weapon. The fact that you feel sick means you hunt for the right reason and care about the animal. You did what you could to recover him. Hold your head up and don’t quit!!!!

Comment

Maybe you should switch to a bow.

Comment

I’ve been there. Think most of us have. It’s a huge hit to your confidence. Start doubting your rifle, your bullet, scope and any other problem that may have occurred over and over in your mind. Truth is it’s going to happen. Put a few rounds back on paper get your confidence back up and get back out there. I would still be checking for buzzards tomorrow and maybe a few near by water holes.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                      He’s probably not hurt bad, just a shot close to his spine. I’m sure he’ll recover but he may not like that place anymore.
                      This is what I've seen with similar scenarios.

Comment

if this has never happend to anyone, well they haven't been hunting long.
                        it sucks, but it happens.

Comment

Been there on a big *** axis. He hit so hard his head bounced off the ground. We high fived and up and off he goes lol. He survived. I pulled the shot a touch back. High shoulder shot. Totally my fault. Wish I had that one back but lesson learned. 196 yards off sticks and standing. My least favorite way to shoot.

That buck will be back.

Comment

Thanks for all of the kind words. Life is good and I have a ton to be grateful for but dang I feel like my ol lady just left me. I’ll Hunt again tomorrow!

Comment

My brother told me this about 30 years ago. I know they say don't do this but when I shoot something with a rifle I get to him as fast as I can. Imagine getting hammered by a 150 grain bullet. Pretty sure your body would be in some kind of shock for a few minutes. This is just what I do not saying it's right or wrong but works for me. If you hunt very long your going to make a poor shot we've all done that. Mine was a 20 yards liver shot on a buck with a 8 inch drop.

Comment

Working...
                              X