Might need a bigger pistol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Might need a bigger pistol

So I was hunting yesterday, sitting in my truck because that's how we roll in farm country when a coyote cruises by at literally 10 yards. Instead of rolling him up with the 243 AI, I grabbed the M&P 9mm. First shot to the vitals and he was spinning, second shot anchored him, sort of. Hornady 124 gr Critical Defense, both rounds in the boiler room. I went to retrieve him 5 or so minutes later and he picks his head up to look at me. Why in the **** is this thing not dead? 3rd one between the eyes and he goes for a tailgate ride. I'm not much of a pistol guy, but this is my edc gun, and all I can think about is "what if this coyote was a bad guy? What's the green screens opinion on 9mm? I'm leaning towards a 10 mm now or a wheel gun in something way bigger.

Others will disagree, but a lot of LEOs have had the snot beaten out of them with the perp with numerous 9mm holes in him. .45 ACP is how I roll.

Comment

Originally posted by AJACKS View Post
      So I was hunting yesterday, sitting in my truck because that's how we roll in farm country when a coyote cruises by at literally 10 yards. Instead of rolling him up with the 243 AI, I grabbed the M&P 9mm. First shot to the vitals and he was spinning, second shot anchored him, sort of. Hornady 124 gr Critical Defense, both rounds in the boiler room. I went to retrieve him 5 or so minutes later and he picks his head up to look at me. Why in the **** is this thing not dead? 3rd one between the eyes and he goes for a tailgate ride. I'm not much of a pistol guy, but this is my edc gun, and all I can think about is "what if this coyote was a bad guy? What's the green screens opinion on 9mm? I'm leaning towards a 10 mm now or a wheel gun in something way bigger.
      I don’t care for 9’s either but that 10 will get it done!

Comment

I killed 3 doe this year with my AR9mm. I’m a fan of the 147 grain out of the 9. All 3 were dead in a couple seconds.
        First Doe I used Hornady 147 grain XTP
        Second Doe I used a Federal 150 grain HST
        Third Doe I used a Winchester 147 grain Silvertip.

That Federal HST popped some nice entry/exit holes. I would say it had the more impressive holes.

Comment

while the bullet design lends itself to great feeding,, the plugged nose design all too often tends to retard the expansion,,, i am not a fan... try to find you some winchester silvertips, speer gold dots, or the newer sig brand hp's,,, a 9mm needs the bullet to expand and velocity is a major player in that happening, so bigger hollow points and increased velocity will do a better job,,,,

Comment

I've shot them with rifles and they still be alive.

I wouldn't overthink it

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Ammo choice is the problem. Hornady had great marketing with the critical defense stuff but it often performs less than stellar. Over penetration and lack of expansion are typical for that particular projectile.

Comment

Think about this. Nobody has told the coyote that he’s supposed to be dead. Humans and animals react differently to trauma. A normal human when shot with a couple 9mm bullets is probably gonna think he’s dying whether he actually is or not. The advantage of the 10mm would be bone breaking penetration, something not generally needed on a human frame. A bigger meplat on the bullet would benefit more than speed IMO. YMMV

Comment

I say 45acp cause shootin twice is dumb

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                    Think about this. Nobody has told the coyote that he’s supposed to be dead. Humans and animals react differently to trauma. A normal human when shot with a couple 9mm bullets is probably gonna think he’s dying whether he actually is or not. The advantage of the 10mm would be bone breaking penetration, something not generally needed on a human frame. A bigger meplat on the bullet would benefit more than speed IMO. YMMV
                    How about a human on Crank?

Comment

Pistols are horrible choices for killing something quickly even with heart shots. Doesn’t matter the caliber much either. Some work better than others, but none work as well as a rifle.

Comment

getcha a .40

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
                          while the bullet design lends itself to great feeding,, the plugged nose design all too often tends to retard the expansion,,, i am not a fan... try to find you some winchester silvertips, speer gold dots, or the newer sig brand hp's,,, a 9mm needs the bullet to expand and velocity is a major player in that happening, so bigger hollow points and increased velocity will do a better job,,,,
                          I am going to agree with him. Find better bullets, something that will expand quickly.

The other problem is coyotes are tough, pound for pound, there is not much of anything as tough as a coyote. I shot a female coyote, years ago, with my AR, with my favorite 52 gr. hollow point. I hit her through the front of the left shoulder, blew the right shoulder almost completely off. When I went to pick up the coyote, she was still alive. She came at me, like she was going to tear me apart. So I put another one in her head.

I have shot many coyotes with perfect heart shots, quite often, they will run flat out and get out of site. Sometimes they only get about 30 yards, but some have gone past 100 yards. They typically run flat out, till the lack of blood to the brain catches up to them, then they hit the ground hard. I have shot two of them through the heart with a 17 HMR, both ran off, I found both about a week after shooting them. I started shooting them in the head with the 17 HMR, after that. The vast majority of the coyotes I have shot, were shot with my 223 AR, with the 52 gr. hollow points. Many of the coyotes I have heart shot, ran some distance before going down, sometimes they spin in circles before dropping. Those are a lot easier to find. The head shots seem to work best.

Comment

You might need a cannon.

I shot a 20-30lb coyote right up the rear with a 30-06 loaded with a 130 grain Speer hollow point three weeks ago. When I got to him, he had a fist sized hole in his chest and I could visibly see the heart pumping blood out. I finished it off with a 9mm to the noggin.

Dogs are tough critters.

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
                              Originally posted by Fajkus7 View Post
                              Ammo choice is the problem. Hornady had great marketing with the critical defense stuff but it often performs less than stellar. Over penetration and lack of expansion are typical for that particular projectile.
                              Both of these.

I'm willing to bet there is one, Maybe 2 people here who have seen more shot people than me. I've seen many a person take a licking and keep on ticking with those rubber filled bullets

From 380 to the mighty 45

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X