Bicycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jon Stewart View Post
    Growing up poor my 1st bike was a $5.00 clunker one speed. That was in the 50's and 60's. Fast forward to the 80's when I go married to a fitness nut where we took up running and doing triathlons. My wife kept track of our miles both running and biking but I won't post how many thousands of miles we did on the bike because many wouldn't believe it. I will say that we flew to Washington and rode to Maine self contained and flew with our bikes and rode them for many weeks in Ireland, Switzerland, Germany and Austria over the years. My folks got a kick out of our riding hobby.

I'm curious as to how many miles you rode a month / year. Don't worry I'll believe it, I know several people that ride over 10,000 a year, and they're just hobbyist. I think the most I've ever done is a little 600 and something in a month.

Comment

I rode all over the place when I was a kid in the '80s, but then once I hit about 14 bikes weren't cool so I didn't ride for about 30 years. Got me a road bike a few years ago and it's kind of addicting. Now I generally ride somewhere in the neighborhood of 400 miles a month. Little less in the winter little more in the summer.

Comment

Just got me thinking. Before I got my Stingray my dad came home with a first bike for me to learn on. It was a early 60's very basic bike but it looked brand new. Dad didn't believe in training wheels so it was the classic run alongside, give you a push and yell "now pedal!". More than a few crashes later I got the hang of it. It wasn't until years later I found out it had been my older sister's bike. He knew I wouldn't want a girls bike so he had a friend weld a top tube on the frame and added a rattle can paint job.

Comment

I rode all over town on my mountain bike. Always dreamed of getting a Cannondale - one of those good ones that run about $1,000.

I finally got my dream bike just to find out that these days $1,000 barely gets you in the door for an entry level, lol. I don't care. I’ve took it out to Spider Mountain, Brushy Creek, the greenbelt and a few others now and have just had a blast.

Comment

I love my seven speed cruiser. My little town invests some of the dollars into bike and walking trails.

Comment

I miss my Crome BMX Mongoose. I wore out three sets of tire on that thing. I could ride a wheelie all the way to school. I once road it from Aledo to Bembrook to catch some fish. I was gone all day and my dad trusted I was ok. I still think he followed me just to make sure though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Forgot to mention that we are riding again and it's true what they say, you never forget. 68 years young and I really like it.

Comment

Man, this brings back memories ! Grew up in a small town, rode my bike almost every day. Rode it to school, town, even got groceries a few times on it. Like many others on here, back in the 60's and 70's, it was our freedom. Never had more than a one speed, you just peddled harder up hills and backpedaled going down. I'd like to get back into it, but I don't think I can afford a bike now a days.

Comment

Lots of great stories shared here!

Comment

I grew up with a bike right here in the middle of the DCNF. I ran a massive trap line at 8yrs old. Headlight on my head, 22 on handle bars. 2 hours before daylight. Home in time to catch the bus. Fished every pond in 5 miles.

By ten, I could fix anything on it. Take links out if chains, replace spokes, patch innertubes, whatever it took.

Comment

I learned to ride a bike on an oyster shell road. I still have scars from 50 years ago.

Comment

I wore out quite a few bicycles growing up. I have since discovered this thing called the internal combustion engine along with air conditioning and haven’t looked back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by doright View Post
                            I learned to ride a bike on an oyster shell road. I still have scars from 50 years ago.
                            I felt your statement!!

Comment

Memories of my banana seat stingray with no telling how many playing card "motors" attached with a clothespin!

Comment

BMX bike, zebco fishing reels and crawfishing after a storm are the memories that come to mind with I think of my childhood. My brother and I each got a BMX from Montgomery Wards at the San Jacinto mall. It came with a warranty. After about the 3rd time that we broke something within the first month they voided that warranty.

Comment

Working...
                                X