Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flywise View Post
    Appreciate all the replies

Are there a lot of pop hunters on your place?

Comment

All true and not having a permanent place to hunt just makes building seem a waste.

Comment

They are noisy when it is windy. I've gone to get in mine after a blue norther blew in only to have to hunt for it instead of deer

Comment

Originally posted by JHT View Post
          Are there a lot of pop hunters on your place?
          Pretty much just me actually. I am plan to make something light, durable that will stand the weather for many many years so I’m just gaining opinions from as many people as possible. I like a dirt floor myself and I like the idea of a blind I don’t have to worry about but also easily mobile. Nothing worse than showing up at the lease early in the morning only to fine out that the pop up was swept away by the wind or eaten by a cow.

Comment

I hunted this same spot for 15yrs, always put my popup under this tree and killed many deer. This was many years ago.

God Bless
            Bish
            Attached Files

Comment

i hunt a popup because im scared to death of heights.

Comment

Use them for turkey hunting with a bow.....

-Dirt floor is fine. Its usually grass in the areas we put them up for turkey so its not horribly dusty.

-No heater required for spring turkey but I have used a heater in a popup before. Keeps the feet and hands warm....and if the windows aren't open all the way around can keep the inside a few degrees warmer.

-Some mobility yes. We do move them around the place occasionally but, we've acquired enough to put them in most of our known turkey hotspots they usually stay put for the 3-4 day hunt once put up. But if mobility includes putting them up and taking them down each 3-4 day hunt so the cows don't destroy them, then yes, mobility is a factor

-Big reason with turkeys we use pop-up is the concealing some of your draw from a turkeys eyes at 10-20 yards.

Comment

I love pop up hunting. I used to be a climber guy but I really like being ground level. I love how easy they are to put up or move and for the most part dry

Comment

I love hunting from a pop up. We put some artificial turf in the floors of ours. Game changer for sure.

We also use a Buddy heater when the temps call for it.

Comment

Last year I put my popup on a 5' scaffold. I'm not sure at what wind speed it becomes unhuntable, but 15mph for sure. We hunt in the hill country so, it can be windy most days right until dark. No more pop up for me.

Right now I'm constructing a 5x5x5.5 high, 1"angle frame popup to be mounted on a scaffold. Going to use corrugated plastic panels for the sides. It's going to be made to assemble and dismantle. I'll post up the build if it goes as planned.

Regarding the OPs post.
                      Heater - no, rather bring a good blanket.
                      Dirt Floor - no way! I have a thermal and see too much going on in the dark. I want to be off the ground.

Comment

Pretty much just me actually. I am plan to make something light, durable that will stand the weather for many many years so I’m just gaining opinions from as many people as possible. I like a dirt floor myself and I like the idea of a blind I don’t have to worry about but also easily mobile. Nothing worse than showing up at the lease early in the morning only to fine out that the pop up was swept away by the wind or eaten by a cow.
                        I am lucky to have hunted family land my life so I know some of the history of the deer's behavior.

None of our animals have ever seen a popup before. I picked up two at Academy two years ago to make it easier to hunt with more than one kid.

After two seasons of messing with them I am convinced the deer do not know what they are and just walk on by/glance at it. Sometimes 10 minutes after setting one up.

I am convinced the animals think it's an implement or a pile of dirt.
                        Coyotes are hard to kill there.
                        I took out two crossing a mowed costal field.
                        They came up behind us in the blind at about 20 yds. Walked right into the scent of stale beer & crotchrot & never flinched till I shot the first one.

Maybe Gar Guy has a better explanation/idea (other than just dumb deer) if my hypothesis is in the ballpark.

Comment

I prefer to hunt out of a tree or sitting on the ground, but I use a blind when I take my kids. I prefer pop ups over wood or fiberglass blinds. They are cheaper, quieter, mobile, and I can take them down and store them off season so that they don’t collect wasp, bugs, and other varmints.
                          I use a pop up platform to get elevation, but I don’t mind being on the ground.
                          I layer up for cold.

Comment

I bought a Baronnette Ox 5 and is plenty big for two 200 pounders plus our gear. Our was u v resistant; however, it couldn’t resist this texas sun. It’s kind of a funky pink camo on top now. Our never blew away. Never. We utilized all the tie downs and stakes. I would recommend finding some serrated stakes though. They come with smooth ones. This worked for us because I angled them away from the blind when I drove em in.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                              No heater. Dress for weather. Don’t like it on beautiful days but love it when it’s rainy and cold.
                              With ya fellow Sailor...Not that heat is bad ..just another thing to keep up with...Dirt floor is OK tell it rains a bunch..and or ya blind gets a visitor.SNAKE!!

Comment

I am about to put together a stand idea I have and was wondering.
                                If you mainly hunt out of pop ups you probably don’t mind the dirt floor right?
                                Probably know that with a heater even a non insulated blind is fine 99% of the time right?
                                And mobility is the primary reason you hunt from a pop up ?
                                Don't mind the dirt, but hate to have leaves on the inside.

A Mr Buddy heater can sweat you out of there.

Not so much for mobility, but I'm to old and fat to get up in a treestand.

Comment

Working...
                                X