No announcement yet.

Heat wave thermostat wars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd have it checked for sure...especially as high as electricity is getn. Dbl chk the filter and rinse out the condensing unit(outside) coils. Also, on these super hot days, I turn on some misting nozzles on around my condensing units. I bought the ones made for dog pens with 5 or 6 nozzles on it. Brings the subcooling down which helps out on the inside! I just do it during the hottest part of the day. New unit oughta do better than 80 amigo.

Comment

Just had to replace my capacitor today. Unit stopped last night. When I went upstairs it was like an oven. But at least my thermostat was nice enough to say hello to cheer me up. Must max out at 2 digits!

Comment

That was funny! I bought a few tons extra just for this scenario

Comment

Have her go outside for an hour or two.

When she comes back in, it will feel really cold.

Comment

She's right about one thing - if your air conditioning system is running continuously, even if it's over 100 degrees outside, it should be cooling closer to the thermostat setting. It's 105 outside right now, my thermostat is set to 71 and this 12 year old AC unit is keeping it 71 inside.

Comment

Insulation makes all the difference in the world. Mine has no problem keeping my house at 70 or below [emoji51] regardless of the temperature outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I think our biggest problem is insulation - for example we still have cheap builder grade single pane windows. I understand why she expects it to be cooler after all we paid for a new unit and larger duct work. I’m getting it checked out tomorrow

Comment

It was supposedly gonna get 109 here today. Don't know if it did. All I know is my vehicle don't have air conditioning and it was hotter than hell driving home from work this evening. I'm surprised my steering wheel wasn't melted into a steering oval. Felt like a thousand blow dryers hitting me in the face while I was driving home with that hot air blowing in through the windows. But it's either that or die of heat exhaustion.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                    I think our biggest problem is insulation - for example we still have cheap builder grade single pane windows. I understand why she expects it to be cooler after all we paid for a new unit and larger duct work. I’m getting it checked out tomorrow
                    We just had new windows installed , it made a huge difference in how much our unit ran . Also added insulation in the attic last year .

Comment

Women

Comment

My A/C unit is 23 years old. I have the thermastat set at 78. Feels nice inside compared to outside. Iffn I had a fancy dancy new unit, yeah, maybe I'd go lower.

Comment

Newer units have the filter on the unit if you haven’t checked that. Maybe save some money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Her text at 4:30 -
                            We have a problem with the AC. Thermostat is set on 74 and Nest says it’s 80degrees in the house.

Me texting back -
                            It’s 111 outside. Most AC units no matter how efficient can’t bring inside temps down more than 20-25 degrees. Close the blinds and turn on the ceiling fans.

Her -
                            We paid a lot of money for that new unit just a couple years ago! It’s crazy we can’t make it comfortable! Will it help if I turn it down to 70?
                            If I raise it to 76 my wife notices. It’s at 75 now and she still hasn’t noticed. I’ll bump it up to 76 after she leaves tomorrow and see if I can get away with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                              Insulation makes all the difference in the world. Mine has no problem keeping my house at 70 or below [emoji51] regardless of the temperature outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I remember my apartment days prior to 2006. 300 dollar electric bills and Im pretty energy conservative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by orchard View Post
                                Same
                                Tell her to turn it to 65 so it gets cooler faster

Mine does do that.

Comment

Working...
                                X