Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
    This where I ordered mine from.
    https://www.rareseeds.com/store/vegetables

Been using them for years, they are awesome

And the catalog is pretty cool too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
      I really enjoyed last year’s gardening thread and since I’ve got a question about this year’s spring garden I thought I’d get a new thread started.

I just ordered my seeds for this spring. I’m going with mostly heritage plants this year.
      For those who start their seeds indoors and then transplant when the weather warms up , when do you start your seeds and what do you grow them in?
      This weather has all me messed up. I came from a northern climate (Canada) and always started tobacco, hemp, tomatoes, and other things that I felt like needed a head start in February. Seems like Texas this year and last will be the same! I had cucumbers and squash planted in the ground in November and the freeze came in December and killed everything. I still had loofah and tomatoes blooming.

Here is a secret: get yourself some sand from the beach or some other place and wash it well. Use that as a seedling starter. It is easier to remove seedlings and cutting from sand than it is from soil. Plus you don't need to "waste" good soil.

I have started my beans, beans and soybeans last week. They are growing.

Radishes were planted from sprouted seeds last week as well.

I buy seeds at Dollar Tree and Dollar General. I do not need as many and they are cheaper and have some cool varieties.

Another place is in California and they have free Heirloom seeds for less fortunate, or if you donate they send you more and what you actually want.
      Last edited by PLBowhunter; 02-03-2022, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
        I had 5 loads of top soil delivered about a month ago and it set in to raining out on the prairie the next day!! Haven't been able to get the tractor in the garden spot to spread it! I sure hope I don't have another wash-out again this year... We had a beautiful garden going last year when all the rains started... Had pumps pumping water out of the garden but lost everything to too much water... Zero production!! This is my last attempt. If I can't get the ground raised a bit, we will go to all raised beds in the future!! Been 3 years since we had a real producing garden!!
        This is what we are facing, too. We moved the majority of our big garden to a different location and brought in more soil. Hoping the slight slope will help if it floods, but I’m really leaning toward raised beds for next year.

Comment

Originally posted by CamoQuest View Post
          This is what we are facing, too. We moved the majority of our big garden to a different location and brought in more soil. Hoping the slight slope will help if it floods, but I’m really leaning toward raised beds for next year.
          You can try doing it the German way. Pile a bunch of wood scraps and other scraps, animal waste manure and old hay, and then put soil on top. The wood will rot away and mix with everything and you'll have soil.

Comment

Originally posted by PLBowhunter View Post
            This weather has all me messed up. I came from a northern climate (Canada) and always started tobacco, hemp, tomatoes, and other things that I felt like needed a head start in February.
            Curious of what you did with hemp that warranted growing? (I assume you are not talking about actual marijuana)

Comment

Ready to get me some seed potatoes to plant end of this month.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                Curious of what you did with hemp that warranted growing? (I assume you are not talking about actual marijuana)
                Feed for chickens, fiber for building materials (hempcrete) made hemp milk and stuff like that.

I did grow cannabis for CBD. It is legal to grow in Canada for recreational purposes.

Comment

Good luck on your gardening spotMr Charlie. I started out with raised beds after retiring (still have them) and I like the concept. Especially being able to control the weeds etc. Since expanding I have started gardening across the pasture of an old home place garden. It’s good soil and will grow some stuff. It’s a fresh venison gardening spot as the old saying goes. I still haven’t purchased the bedder yet that you have shown here before but it’s on the radar screen.

Comment

I have onions and garlic growing now. Tomato and pepper seeds were started a few weeks ago.
                    I need to replace a couple of boards in my raised beds this spring and add in compost.
                    I'll put everything else in around the middle of March depending on the weather.

Comment

2+ inches of MORE rain last night... I ain't even started yet, and I fell like it's time to throw in the towel and just go to the big Farmer's Market over of Shepherd Dr. in Houston and buy what we need to pack the freezer and can... Guarantee you it'd be cheaper!!

Comment

2+ inches of MORE rain last night... I ain't even started yet, and I fell like it's time to throw in the towel and just go to the big Farmer's Market over of Shepherd Dr. in Houston and buy what we need to pack the freezer and can... Guarantee you it'd be cheaper!!
                        Where did you find a big one at on Shephard? I saw a sign for one between Shepard/Ella....but it was just a couple tents when we drove by.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
                          Been using them for years, they are awesome

And the catalog is pretty cool too

That’s good to know Curt. This is my first year ordering from them. Tremendous variety.

Originally posted by PLBowhunter View Post
                          This weather has all me messed up. I came from a northern climate (Canada) and always started tobacco, hemp, tomatoes, and other things that I felt like needed a head start in February. Seems like Texas this year and last will be the same! I had cucumbers and squash planted in the ground in November and the freeze came in December and killed everything. I still had loofah and tomatoes blooming.

Here is a secret: get yourself some sand from the beach or some other place and wash it well. Use that as a seedling starter. It is easier to remove seedlings and cutting from sand than it is from soil. Plus you don't need to "waste" good soil.

I have started my beans, beans and soybeans last week. They are growing.

Radishes were planted from sprouted seeds last week as well.

I buy seeds at Dollar Tree and Dollar General. I do not need as many and they are cheaper and have some cool varieties.

Another place is in California and they have free Heirloom seeds for less fortunate, or if you donate they send you more and what you actually want.
                          Good tip on the sand. I always have a pile of sand on hand to use in my horse pens. Thanks.

Yeah but you know it wouldn’t be as good Charlie.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                            Where did you find a big one at on Shephard? I saw a sign for one between Shepard/Ella....but it was just a couple tents when we drove by.
                            There is a pretty big one off Airline around 610 area

Comment

Got my seeds started 2 weeks ago. This is my first attempt. I hope they don’t keep this rate of growth! They’ll outgrow the space I have for them before I can get them in the ground. Tapatalk won’t let me post pics for some reason.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X