LRGV NWR - Teniente (2019)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LRGV NWR - Teniente (2019)

Got drawn for one of the archery hunts (12/5-12/8). Have never been down there before but have read through some of the previous years posts and acquired some good information. Figured I would start a new thread for this year to capture any updated advice or suggestions anyone may have, and hopefully post some success stories.

One question that has come up while reading through all the NWR rules is use of game cameras. I have seen it specifically stated in the Laguna Atascosa rules that they are not allowed, but the Teniente hunt brochure does not mention them at all (allowed or not allowed).

Honestly I wouldn’t push my luck unless you know for sure if they are allowed. Those federal wardens aren’t to be played with. Wrote a guy a ticket for having corn kernels in the bed of truck.

Comment

I'll be there the last weekend January 9th through the 12th. Cant wait

Comment

I’ll be there 11/7-11/10 and I’ll be there a day early to scout too. This is my first TPWD hunt, first public land hunt, first hunt in S Texas. I’ll be happy if I get a piglet and just excited to hunt something new in a new place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
          Honestly I wouldn’t push my luck unless you know for sure if they are allowed. Those federal wardens aren’t to be played with. Wrote a guy a ticket for having corn kernels in the bed of truck.
          The federal guys are looking to write tickets...no grey areas or common sense so don’t take a chance without proof they are allowed.I had a sealed bag of corn and not a lose kernel anywhere to be seen (had an old bag in the bed and was heading to my lease after the hunt). They searched my hunt area, truck and backpack looking for corn and found none. I read the rules and intentionally parked on the county roads so I wasn’t “on the refuge with corn”. They ruined an evening hunt and wrote me a ticket for baiting and also no signed permit (my fault) and threatened a 3rd for alcohol on refuge (3 hot cans of beer-no ice) that I didn’t realize were in my empty ice chest. The hunt was pretty cool but only saw 1 bull and a few cows with no shot opportunities. Pretty sure one of the guys I met that lived nearby had cams out but no idea if they are legal. Good luck.
          Last edited by TX CHICKEN; 09-11-2019, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TX CHICKEN View Post
            The federal guys are looking to write tickets...no grey areas or common sense so don’t take a chance without proof they are allowed.I had a sealed bag of corn and not a lose kernel anywhere to be seen (had an old bag in the bed and was heading to my lease after the hunt). They searched my hunt area, truck and backpack looking for corn and found none. I read the rules and intentionally parked on the county roads so I wasn’t “on the refuge with corn”. They ruined an evening hunt and wrote me a ticket for baiting and also no signed permit (my fault) and threatened a 3rd for alcohol on refuge (3 hot cans of beer-no ice) that I didn’t realize were in my empty ice chest. The hunt was pretty cool but only saw 1 bull and a few cows with no shot opportunities. Pretty sure one of the guys I met that lived nearby had cams out but no idea if they are legal. Good luck.
            Im not sure if they have changed the rules page, but it now states all rules apply to the county roads that go through the hunt area.

I'll be out there 11/7-11/10. I got drawn for Laguna atascosa rifle last year and got a nilgai cow. I'm hoping to get another nilgai this year.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Comment

HuntorFish. This guy works for fws and is involved with the Teniente tract and he replied to a few of my questions before the hunt.
              imer_delagarza@fws.gov
              It did not state that in the rules I received last year (just checked the email from last year again) but I do see that they added the county roads to this years regs.

I get that I should have just taken the corn out but they also could use common sense when they didn’t find a single lose kernel anywhere.

“We prohibit the use or possession of alcohol while on the Refuge (including parking lots). You may not be under the influence of alcohol or consume an alcoholic beverage while engaged in hunting activities, or publicly consume or display an alcoholic beverage.”

Originally posted by Lucky333 View Post
              Im not sure if they have changed the rules page, but it now states all rules apply to the county roads that go through the hunt area.

I'll be out there 11/7-11/10. I got drawn for Laguna atascosa rifle last year and got a nilgai cow. I'm hoping to get another nilgai this year.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
              Last edited by TX CHICKEN; 09-11-2019, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Confirmed with wildlife biologist for LRGV (Imer De La Garza) that game cameras are not allowed.

Comment

I will be down their 11/7-11/10 as well. Does anyone know if there is any place close to camp?

Comment

Originally posted by Ferg13 View Post
                    I will be down their 11/7-11/10 as well. Does anyone know if there is any place close to camp?
                    Nope. Raymondville is only 15 minutes away though. Get a hotel there, I did on my hunt.

Comment

Got drawn on 2nd draw for East Lake Unit. November 21- kid got on last year and killed a cow and a bull. Ill be carrying a muzzleloader and going with older kid. Maybe we can get lucky again.

Raymondville is minutes away from both units.

And you don't need a game camera. Nilgai leave a lot of sign and you can tell where they are at.

Comment

I received my Teniente hunt permit and list of regulations after purchase. I gun hunted here two years ago and it seems that I also had a vehicle pass to keep in window. I do not see one as of yet. Did anyone else consider this?

Comment

I did not get one, but was wondering the same thing. It talks about it in the regulations.

Comment

They give you the parking permit during the orientation, just be sure to leave it on the dash of your vehicle when parked. Good luck cuz.

Comment

As far as I am aware there is no orientation.

Comment

Working...
                              X