Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone hunted or will be hunting Bastrop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone hunted or will be hunting Bastrop?

I'm hunting next week (Jan. 4-6) for Anterless/Spike.

Has anyone hunted there before or will be hunting out there?

Any advice?

Thanks!!

There isnt a spike or anterless season for Bastrop.

Comment

Yes there is, he's talking about the draw hunt at the state park.

Comment

Like I said there isn't a spike/ anterless season for Bastrop. Now a draw hunt or even mld that's a different story.

Comment

I hunted Bastrop State Park about 3 years ago. My buddy and I got section #7 for the spike/doe hunt. It was a 3 day hunt. The first afternoon was spent scouting and setting up our small tripods. The next morning, he killed 2 does and I killed 1 doe. That afternoon, I killed 1 doe and 1 spike and he killed another doe. We left with 6 deer! If you can pick your spot, I would go to #7. It's way in the back and you may need 4 wheel drive if it rains. There is a BIG power line that separates section 7 from section 6 and the very top of the hill under that power line is where the deer were constantly crossing. We killed 5 deer out of that one tripod. The last morning of our hunt it poured down rain and we had to get the park rangers to help retrieve our tripods out of that section. Definitely bring yourself a tripod which is not too heavy to carry. They don't cut the grass/weeds and that stuff can get 3 feet high making it hard to see the deer.

Comment

This one will be a good hunt to go standby and try to get in.

Comment

Originally posted by Fashinghunts View Post
              I hunted Bastrop State Park about 3 years ago. My buddy and I got section #7 for the spike/doe hunt. It was a 3 day hunt. The first afternoon was spent scouting and setting up our small tripods. The next morning, he killed 2 does and I killed 1 doe. That afternoon, I killed 1 doe and 1 spike and he killed another doe. We left with 6 deer! If you can pick your spot, I would go to #7. It's way in the back and you may need 4 wheel drive if it rains. There is a BIG power line that separates section 7 from section 6 and the very top of the hill under that power line is where the deer were constantly crossing. We killed 5 deer out of that one tripod. The last morning of our hunt it poured down rain and we had to get the park rangers to help retrieve our tripods out of that section. Definitely bring yourself a tripod which is not too heavy to carry. They don't cut the grass/weeds and that stuff can get 3 feet high making it hard to see the deer.
              Thanks!!!

Im looking forward to it!!!

Also, did you hunt out of a blind?

Comment

TopDuarte--Ill be there w my son. Talked to staff and was able to get a little info. All hunts are in the parks back country-far east side of park(good luck finding a map). 16 compartments that are randomly assigned. Bring your own tripod, blind, bait ect. Still a few red deer in one or two hunt areas, and fair number of pigs. Youth hunt this weekend, and there were NO standbys available. Brush is outrageous in some areas, while others have been prescribed burnt. Be careful driving the park roads as there lots of big truck traffic in and out. They are expecting a 50% success rate. No cold storage. Look for me there early for additional info--Ill be in a brown 4dr F150

Comment

Originally posted by BuckAuger View Post
                  TopDuarte--Ill be there w my son. Talked to staff and was able to get a little info. All hunts are in the parks back country-far east side of park(good luck finding a map). 16 compartments that are randomly assigned. Bring your own tripod, blind, bait ect. Still a few red deer in one or two hunt areas, and fair number of pigs. Youth hunt this weekend, and there were NO standbys available. Brush is outrageous in some areas, while others have been prescribed burnt. Be careful driving the park roads as there lots of big truck traffic in and out. They are expecting a 50% success rate. No cold storage. Look for me there early for additional info--Ill be in a brown 4dr F150
                  Thanks for info. I'll be a maroon 88 Dodge Ramcharger.

Comment

Anyone else??

Comment

When u arriving Wednesday? Maybe we can meet for breakfast or I can grab master blaster tacos in Elgin on my in.

Comment

Well I finished the season and started the New year off in style! After a long year full of empty blood trails and heartaches I finally pulled it off in the sam!
                        It was sunday, January 1st, the last evening of the last day of the season. A crisp North breeze blew the last of the leaves out of a white oak tree just above my head. I had just rushed home after an always fun filled and relaxing trip to my PawPaws, the sacred grounds of dogwood creek just outside of Crockett. I got back home and to my treestand with about an hour left till dark. "One last chance" I said to myself.
                        As the shadows grew longer and eventually turned to twilight, I thought to myself, "Man, another year with no horns!". I looked at my watch, it was 5:30, about 20 mins left of shooting light. I looked back up to see a doe and a little 6 point coming down the trail towards a pile of old acorns the creek had washed up just 20 yards from my tree. A minute goes by and I hear something coming down the same trail, I turn to look and all I see is a nice wide spread, shooter! A lump ascends to my throat and my heart starts to pump as I immediately pick up my bow and attach my release. He struts on in grunting and bumping the other deer away. The 6 point kinda halfway tries to challenge him but the he was no match and was quickly chased away. As he made his way back to me I drew back. BUSTED! He caught me moving and trotted off to about 40 yards and looked back at me. His *** end was facing me but he turned back just enough to clear a path to his vitals. The entire season flashed before my eyes. All of the close calls, empty blood trails, dissapointments, hard work, and good laughs around the campfire with my brothers and friends... "FFFTT"! I watched my arrow fly through the air, and cringed when I saw my lumenok stop in his hindquarter. He buckled a little before limping off into the woods and my heart sunk to my stomach. I nocked another arrow in case he managed to circle back around. It was Such a tight window but I couldn't believe I had possibly messed up another opportunity. At the same time, I couldn't stop thinking about a hunting show I was watching a couple years back where a guy made a hindquarter shot like I did, and found out there was a main artery right about where his arrow hit. Long story short, he actually got to recover his buck.. So I was holding onto the possibility that my rage expandable got the job done.
                        I climbed down out of my tree and walked back up to the truck to call my fiance and tell her what happened. I gave him about an hour an a half to expire, and decided to go check for blood. I did find some small specs close to where I shot him, but I kept losing the trail and having to double back and restart. I finally began to notice more blood! He was zigzagging! I followed it for almost 100 yards before I looked up and my headlamp caught a big white belly behind a pine tree. He's down!!! I threw my arms in the air and shook my head in disbelief as i wrapped my hands around his horns. I can't believe I got it done in the last light of the last day!
                        I had some ups and downs this season but overall I am very happy with how it turned out. Moral of the story is, never give up!!!
                        Here are a couple pics. Yes I know I'm not in my orange but at this point I was already back to my house about to hoist him up. Also, no worries, tag is attached on his back leg for transportation purposes. Here he is

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170101_211344.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	24478181

Comment

His broke off brows just make the cut!

Comment