Hit a snag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 3under3 View Post
    Could you randomly assign a year model and manufacturer? 1984 Big Tex for instance?
    I have thought about it. I just wonder if they will say can you prove it.

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter90 View Post
      Should have registered as a homemade. In and out in 10 minutes. Go register at a different office now. Unless they have multiple clerks, go to a different one.
      Not so simple to do so anymore, in many counties you have to take it in for an inspection usually a close major city with a stolen vehicle division who inspect and look over the trailer for identifying marks and VIN number to check it against their database of stolen trailers.

If attempting to classify as homemade they will determine based on the construction if it is or not. As the OP stated happened to him.

To have it registered as homemade it has to pass the inspection as such to get 68a form along with the rest of the certified weight, pictures, and appraisal to get the paperwork from the DMV that allows you to purchase a bonded title

After all that you can you go get your registration and plate.

Comment

Okay, I’ve heard of this!!!
        Give it to your buddy who lives in Llano or Brady or BF Tx.
        Have him get the plates, Then sell it to you for $250.00.
        You go transfer it to your name.
        Done Deal.
        Have Heard of This Working!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by "DOC" View Post
          Okay, I’ve heard of this!!!
          Give it to your buddy who lives in Llano or Brady or BF Tx.
          Have him get the plates, Then sell it to you for $250.00.
          You go transfer it to your name.
          Done Deal.
          Have Heard of This Working!!

Thats what I'd suggest.

Every county is different. Some will register homemade without inspection some won't.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Why not register it as farm use and then you dont have to get it inspected or weighed?
            That is how I got around all of it when my F-I-L passed away and I got his trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by Evictor View Post
              Not so simple to do so anymore, in many counties you have to take it in for an inspection usually a close major city with a stolen vehicle division who inspect and look over the trailer for identifying marks and VIN number to check it against their database of stolen trailers.

If attempting to classify as homemade they will determine based on the construction if it is or not. As the OP stated happened to him.

To have it registered as homemade it has to pass the inspection as such to get 68a form along with the rest of the certified weight, pictures, and appraisal to get the paperwork from the DMV that allows you to purchase a bonded title

You are right on the money sir.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazzy View Post
                Why not register it as farm use and then you dont have to get it inspected or weighed?
                That is how I got around all of it when my F-I-L passed away and I got his trailer.
                Yes sir that’s what I’m trying to do. But I still have to have that 68A

Comment

Originally posted by Crazzy View Post
                  When you did yours did you have any paperwork or just a bill of sale?

Comment

Originally posted by Evictor View Post

Yep must be different counties. I just did this and have done it multiple times. As long as the trailer gross isn’t above 4500lbs I think in my county it does not have to be inspected.

Comment

You have a VIN?

Post it up without the last 4 or 5 digits. Maybe someone will recognize the manufacturer.

Then if they are still in business you might be able to get some info from them

Anti theft folks don't sound too helpful if you gave them the whole story and they can't find anything on it.

Comment

Most vin# contain a year code in it. I believe it is the 10 or 11 digit. That should at least give you the year

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                          You have a VIN?

Post it up without the last 4 or 5 digits. Maybe someone will recognize the manufacturer.

Then if they are still in business you might be able to get some info from them

Anti theft folks don't sound too helpful if you gave them the whole story and they can't find anything on it.
                          No sir no vin or information plate at all. There is a nine digit number that has been stamped in with dies on the tongue but that’s it.

Comment

I’ll try to take a picture of it when I get to the house.

Comment

I was talking to a relative last night that said that 9 digit number could have been someone’s social security number that people back in the day used to put that on their items in case they were stolen. Just a thought.

Comment

Buy you another trailer and just trade back and fourth!!! At least that's the way we used to do it, lol...!! Just kidding, don't do that. Wilson county is usually easy to deal with, good luck if you get the wrong lady because there are a few of them there.

Comment

Working...
                                X