No announcement yet.

Val Verdy county movement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I could wish away 2 animal cat class from Val Verde County it would be sheep and goat. Thank you for lower the population.

Comment

Originally posted by RanchFrag View Post
      If I could wish away 2 animal cat class from Val Verde County it would be sheep and goat. Thank you for lower the population.
      You're welcome! They are a PITA for sure. We knocked down about 20 of them in one weekend last year and thought we were about done. Then, near the end of the season, I spotted a herd of about 30 spanish goats going up the mountain behind one of our setups. I got three of them before they disappeared over the mountain.

There are no domestic sheep on any of the ranches around us. These are a barbado/mouflon cross of some kind. It really irks me when I'm sitting on stand and they roll up to the feeder like they own the place and run all the deer off.

I swear, I don't really care if I kill a deer this year. I'm on a mission to get rid of those things. The problem is getting the neighbors to do the same.

Now if I can just figure out away to get rid of the hogs too!

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
        You're welcome! They are a PITA for sure. We knocked down about 20 of them in one weekend last year and thought we were about done. Then, near the end of the season, I spotted a herd of about 30 spanish goats going up the mountain behind one of our setups. I got three of them before they disappeared over the mountain.

There are no domestic sheep on any of the ranches around us. These are a barbado/mouflon cross of some kind. It really irks me when I'm sitting on stand and they roll up to the feeder like they own the place and run all the deer off.

I swear, I don't really care if I kill a deer this year. I'm on a mission to get rid of those things. The problem is getting the neighbors to do the same.

Now if I can just figure out away to get rid of the hogs too!
        SabreKiller
        We will do our part ... We are on the Flying Dutchman. Sounds like we are very close to you

Comment

I'm not sure exactly where you are located, but we are about 25 miles north of Pumpville.

Comment

good to know things are picking up. we are hunting NE of Del Rio off hwy 2523

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
              I'm not sure exactly where you are located, but we are about 25 miles north of Pumpville.
              We are right at 17 to 18 miles north Pumpville Rd. off Chriesman Rd.

Comment

How are things shaping up out there, Rut Wise?

Comment

Originally posted by Duramaxjack View Post
                  We are right at 17 to 18 miles north Pumpville Rd. off Chriesman Rd.
                  My father and several other used to hunt the Chreisman Ranch back in the late 70's. I drive past Chreisman Road every time I go to the lease. The road is much better than coming in off 349.

My lease partners said it was very hot this weekend and all they killed was a cull. Last year, the week of Dec 8-15 it looked like a cutting horse show with all the buck chasing does.

We are headed out Friday afternoon and coming back Monday.

Comment

Just got back yesterday from our place near Comstock on hwy1024. Bucks were cruising around solo and mid day I saw a young 8 point tearing after a doe. Our sheep population is on the rise too since previous years. After we put panels up around all our protein feeders we saw a HUGE drop in numbers. Now they are at the feeders hitting the legs like a battering ram, (pun intended) no ewes just a bachelor group of about 8-12. They haven't seemed to bother the deer at are place too bad. At least not like the hogs have been. Saw a REAL wide 8 point probably 23inches but never came within bow range. Ended up shooting a decent 4yr old 8 point management deer. Little discouraging I haven't seen my target buck this year that I have watched for the past two years. One of our neighbors sold off a big portion of his ranch in 100-200 acre tracts so we have 7 neighbors on one side and it sounded like the 4th of July Saturday morning. Whats yalls thougths on trying to meet with your neighbors to maybe get everyone on the same page as far as a management program goes?

Comment

Originally posted by Witchita View Post
                      Just got back yesterday from our place near Comstock on hwy1024. Bucks were cruising around solo and mid day I saw a young 8 point tearing after a doe. Our sheep population is on the rise too since previous years. After we put panels up around all our protein feeders we saw a HUGE drop in numbers. Now they are at the feeders hitting the legs like a battering ram, (pun intended) no ewes just a bachelor group of about 8-12. They haven't seemed to bother the deer at are place too bad. At least not like the hogs have been. Saw a REAL wide 8 point probably 23inches but never came within bow range. Ended up shooting a decent 4yr old 8 point management deer. Little discouraging I haven't seen my target buck this year that I have watched for the past two years. One of our neighbors sold off a big portion of his ranch in 100-200 acre tracts so we have 7 neighbors on one side and it sounded like the 4th of July Saturday morning. Whats yalls thougths on trying to meet with your neighbors to maybe get everyone on the same page as far as a management program goes?
                      It never hurts to talk to your neighbors and see if everyone is on the same page. Just don't have any great expectations going in that they're gonna be in the program.

Comment

Yeah, I know there is a great chance they are not going to be on the same program but just thought its better than not doing anything. Based on the number of box blinds and feeders within throwing distance of our perimeter fence I am assuming they wont be lol. But to each their own. I just like old deer. I will pass a 4.5 10 pointer to shoot a 5.5-6.5 8. Granted I understand that different hunters are on different "levels" so as long as you"re following the state laws and have fun then I am ok with it.

Comment

Here’s the 8 point I shot. My guess is 4.5 years old. Was running off 2 younger 10 points and made a scrape. Let the arrow fly at 34 yards. Not the biggest buck but I’m super excited

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Working...
                            X