Anybody live near McAlester area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody live near McAlester area?

Anybody live near McAlester area? Been looking in that area a bit, looks like a nice area.

Texas is going the way of California politically, land prices are absurd, my business is way down, and its getting too crowded. Been thinking about selling out and packing up and heading somewhere else. Problem is all I know is oil related machining ( 26yrs ) so I will have to learn something new.

The good news is that I can probably sell my place here, buy 160ac or so and build a house and come out even. That will put me in a position that will allow me to get by without making much money.

Any experience in the area? Jobs, industry etc? Land looks pretty cheap, but have to have a way to make a living.

Would even entertain the idea of opening another small business if it looks even slightly profitable.

There’s a Spirit Aerospace in McAlester that might use machinists. I live in Tahlequah, about an hour northeast of McAlester.
    Great hunting in that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a buddy that is the biologist at the Ammo plant. There may be a federal job at ammo plant as a machinist

Comment

Originally posted by howzitbra View Post
        There’s a Spirit Aerospace in McAlester that might use machinists. I live in Tahlequah, about an hour northeast of McAlester.
        Great hunting in that area.

Interesting. I am not commited to McAlester, Tahlequah looks very nice too, and I think its not too far from Tulsa. My mom, stepdad and grandma live just outside of Muldrow. Of course, Tulsa is oil related which I am kind of soured on right now....

Comment

The Tahlequah area is beautiful. I grew up in Okmulgee, just north of McAlester but I wouldn't go back there for anything now. I can't speak about McAlester specifically other than that ammo depot there kicks out some giant bucks each year.

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post
            The Tahlequah area is beautiful. I grew up in Okmulgee, just north of McAlester but I wouldn't go back there for anything now. I can't speak about McAlester specifically other than that ammo depot there kicks out some giant bucks each year.
            Why wouldnt you go back? I have talked to a friend whose wife grew up in OK ( other side of OK city I believe ) and she says she absolutely will not move back there. Is it the low standard of living? ( area seems mostly poor )

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
              Why wouldnt you go back? I have talked to a friend whose wife grew up in OK ( other side of OK city I believe ) and she says she absolutely will not move back there. Is it the low standard of living? ( area seems mostly poor )

I was speaking specifically about Okmulgee. Just not much there anymore. My Dad worked at the Ball glass plant for 20 something years and the shut it down. Not sure what all employment opportunities there are. I’d move back to Oklahoma for sure if the right opportunity came along.

Comment

I went to college in Okmulgee. And can agree I will never go back there.

Comment

Relative recently moved back after being away 20+ years. I’ll have to ask him what it’s like now. A number of family and relatives once worked at MCAAP. It was the main employer in the area for a long time. I haven’t been back to the area in a long time.

Comment

Lake Ten Killer is sure a pretty place.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx_Wader View Post
                      Lake Ten Killer is sure a pretty place.
                      Yes sir it is. I’ve got a few friends that still live in that area and they have killed some good bucks too. All around good area.

Comment

Big deer and pretty country. Great Italian food and lamb fry capital of the world.
                        Berry plastics is always hiring and they pay well.

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
                          Interesting. I am not commited to McAlester, Tahlequah looks very nice too, and I think its not too far from Tulsa. My mom, stepdad and grandma live just outside of Muldrow. Of course, Tulsa is oil related which I am kind of soured on right now....

I know your looking to buy land but there’s plenty of public land up here. Cherokee WMA is around 30,000 acres and Camp Gruber is another 30,000. Both about 10 or 15 minutes from where I live in Tahlequah.
                          Lots of other public land as well.

Comment

I live a mile outside mcalester. Grew up here, moved away in my 20s and came back in my early 30s.

Sometimes I hate this place, but then I go to other towns and realize it ain't so bad.

If you are in law enforcement, healthcare or oil and gas, you'll find a job here. The ammunition plant seems like it would be a good place to work, but that's such a highly sought after job, you almost gotta know someone on the inside to get hired. And then you gotta survive the layoffs and furloughs.

Tons of public land to hunt, and 17 lakes within a 30 min drive if you're into fishing. If you wanna escape to a larger town for the weekend, Fort Smith is 2 hours, Tulsa is 1.5 and OKC is about 2.

Comment

I grew up in/on Lake Eaufaula. Born in the city. Live in Conroe now. I miss that country sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                              X