Atascosa 2019!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RGV Hunter View Post
    My biggest sighting was NOT the doe that came and laid up four yards from me not realizing I was there. (Took that one home with me) or the three nilgai bulls that I missed, or all the nilgai that were out of range.

My biggest sighting was this 65 year old hunter out in unit 3 asking to borrow my game cart. I rode up on him on the rode and he says "do you mind putting that cart to good use". I said you shot one? He says yes it is right over there. You should have seen the bow he was using. All this hype of these new bows, this man was using a bow that was almost 30 years old. Got a clean pass through and we could not find the arrow. We loaded up the doe onto the game cart and I started the 4.5 my bike ride back to the gate. He offered to pull the cart but I insisted that I take it. About halfway there he insisted that he help haul out the animal. I finally said okay go ahead. I was thinking to myself he will ask me to take over here in a bit. Well was I surprised.

For all you hunters thinking you may be too old. This 65 year old man biked out for over two miles against the wind like a young buck chasing a hot doe. It was impressive to see.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
    Heck yeah! My FIL broke his ankle a few years back packing out an elk. Finished the pack-out and drove back to TX from AZ with his foot out the window instead of icing it since it was below freezing outside... The next year we were set to go mule deer hunting in Colorado and he got a hernia a few weeks before the hunt. Still made the hunt hiking several miles per day in the mountains and had surgery when we got back... Dont complain, just get it done!

Comment

Sometimes you just gotta do what you just gotta do. I'm soon 61. I shattered by ribcage surfing in Brazil in October 2015 -- twenty fractures of 8 ribs. Hospital for two weeks, bedridden until mid-January 2016. I had a fly-in bear hunt set for May 2016 with one of my sons and **** well wasn't going to miss it. I wasn't really fully recovered (that would take at least another full year) but we went anyway and had an amazing hunt. Halfway through the week -- with no other humans within a 30 mile radius -- I re-fractured a rib. It hurt to breathe and stuff, but so what, like I'm gonna put down the rifle and sit around te campfire while my son hunts alone? You just gotta do what you just gotta do, sometimes. All you guys on bikes this weekend, more power to y'all. I walked in and out every day with my gear on my back. I pulled my cart in on Thursday and pulled it back out on Monday night. (But next time I draw this tag, I might ride in so I can go to the far ends of Units 3 and 5 ;-) )

Comment

Originally posted by Stonecreek View Post
        It would have been nice for other hunters who know the difficulties of bow hunting, especially with Nilgai, to reach out to you. It's not like they didn't know it was yours and that you were the one "dragging the trailer". How hard would it have been to say, she's over there or at a minimum, here's your arrow? It's not like you didn't sit in the same spot all weekend and they didn't know where to find you. Hopefully the one checked in Saturday morning wasn't someone playing finders keepers, but if so what can you do? If not congratulations to that hunter putting in the work and having success for his effort. In fact congratulations to all the successful hunters enjoying the sweet success of their efforts. Sorry that happened, but that's hunting, it happens.
        Thanks Stonecreek for those fine words. Guess that's all part of the hunt. I tried to reach out and asked questions but no responses as if yet. If I have I have not seen where they are. I am new to this site and i am still trying to figure out the lay out. So much stuff not easy to get around.
        Next time i now know where to shot for a better kill. I wish I could have brought her home, but I'll be ready for the next.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonecreek View Post
          It would have been nice for other hunters who know the difficulties of bow hunting, especially with Nilgai, to reach out to you. It's not like they didn't know it was yours and that you were the one "dragging the trailer". How hard would it have been to say, she's over there or at a minimum, here's your arrow? It's not like you didn't sit in the same spot all weekend and they didn't know where to find you. Hopefully the one checked in Saturday morning wasn't someone playing finders keepers, but if so what can you do? If not congratulations to that hunter putting in the work and having success for his effort. In fact congratulations to all the successful hunters enjoying the sweet success of their efforts. Sorry that happened, but that's hunting, it happens.
          Thanks Stonecreek for those fine words. Guess that's all part of the hunt. I tried to reach out and asked questions but no responses as if yet. If I have I have not seen where they are. I am new to this site and i am still trying to figure out the lay out. So much stuff not easy to get around.
          Next time i now know where to shot for a better kill. I wish I could have brought her home, but I'll be ready for the next.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan2014 View Post
            I was told it’s the cattle rancher on the neighboring property, uses the siren to round up the cows.
            Every single morning? That's something I've never heard of before.

Comment

Originally posted by RGV Hunter View Post
              My biggest sighting was NOT the doe that came and laid up four yards from me not realizing I was there. (Took that one home with me) or the three nilgai bulls that I missed, or all the nilgai that were out of range.

My biggest sighting was this 65 year old hunter out in unit 3 asking to borrow my game cart. I rode up on him on the rode and he says "do you mind putting that cart to good use". I said you shot one? He says yes it is right over there. You should have seen the bow he was using. All this hype of these new bows, this man was using a bow that was almost 30 years old. Got a clean pass through and we could not find the arrow. We loaded up the doe onto the game cart and I started the 4.5 my bike ride back to the gate. He offered to pull the cart but I insisted that I take it. About halfway there he insisted that he help haul out the animal. I finally said okay go ahead. I was thinking to myself he will ask me to take over here in a bit. Well was I surprised.

For all you hunters thinking you may be too old. This 65 year old man biked out for over two miles against the wind like a young buck chasing a hot doe. It was impressive to see.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Did I understand from your post you were pulling the game cart with the bike? If so would you mind sharing your setup? Trying to figure out my setup for next weekend. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by TXFireFighter View Post
                I was the one that found the dead cow and for your information I did actually look for the hunter. By 2pm the next day(75 deg and in direct sunlight), the cow was bloated, full of flys and it hair was slipping. There was no salvaging it at all or I would have made the 2 mile trek out in an attempt to save it for the hunter. Having killed several Nilgai myself, I know how difficult they are to kill and how much of a prize it would have been. I went by the check station the next 2 evenings in an attempt to locate the hunter so I could share the location of the cow and his arrow. These were my only opportunities as we arrive early and sit all day in the field. But by all means go ahead and keep assuming.
                TxFireFight. First off I want to thank you for service you provide to our community.
                Secondly thanks for locating my misfortune.
                I am curious on how far she ran from where I shot. I still would like to know even for being a few weeks old news. I new to this site since the hunt and trying to get around here and find posts and info.
                Tried to send an email but I guess I'm to new they want more posts before emailing.
                Thanks again for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by Whalerboy67 View Post
                  Did I understand from your post you were pulling the game cart with the bike? If so would you mind sharing your setup? Trying to figure out my setup for next weekend. Thanks
                  This is what I did last year. I will do the same this year. Wasn't bad at all.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	ref.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	24597303

Comment

Originally posted by Whalerboy67 View Post
                    I will take some pics when I get home tomorrow.

Comment

Thanks guys. Nice set up Buckshot.

Comment

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
                        Every single morning? That's something I've never heard of before.
                        Sounded strange to me too, I don’t whether that’s true or not. Just what I heard.

Comment

Originally posted by Green feathers View Post
                          TxFireFight. First off I want to thank you for service you provide to our community.

Secondly thanks for locating my misfortune.

I am curious on how far she ran from where I shot. I still would like to know even for being a few weeks old news. I new to this site since the hunt and trying to get around here and find posts and info.

Tried to send an email but I guess I'm to new they want more posts before emailing.

Thanks again for the info.
                          Thanks. I sent you a PM with a map view of where I found her.

Comment

I'll be solo hunting 11/22-11/26 I'd be interested in helping pack out anyone that needs help just to check out one of these beast up close and personal. If anyone downs an animal or gets crazy lucky and downs multiple and needs an extra set of hands/eyes grid searching or to finish packing out to avoid spoilage I would'nt mind helping and sharing contact info. Have a pretty nice non-Ebike �� trailer set up so it should make it a little smoother. Also wouldn't mind grabbing a beer or two with dinner after a hard days hunting with like minded hunters possibly strategizing and sharing intel.

Comment

Question, how are you guys getting up in trees if you can’t hang stands? Just climbing? How far off the ground do you get?

Comment

Originally posted by CAP View Post
                                Question, how are you guys getting up in trees if you can’t hang stands? Just climbing? How far off the ground do you get?
                                If you can find a good, solid tree, you can probably get about 2 feet up

Comment

Working...
                                X