Protecting Exterior Cedar Siding Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=cj7zrcool;14138159] What kinda cedar is that?[/QUOTE

now that you ask I was wrong on the price it would have been. It was over a year ago when I purchased it. I believe it was actually somewhere in the range of $7,500 to $8,000 not 14K..... I was thinking about something else I guess.. lol still a great deal. Each one of the 8ft boards go for 14.16 a lowes new. I think I had about 200 of those and about 150 16fts.

Comment

I may be changing my mine about painting over the cedar siding.

I want to know your opinions; should I use exterior Paint grey in color or go with a stain? If stain should I go natural, a redwood tone or some other tone?

My original plan was to do what looks the best and after getting the front side done I am thinking staining might look better.....

Help me decide!

Here is the cabin as it sits right now. I plan to get back out there this week to finish the siding. the deck will be stained with badlands red stain.

thank!!
      Attached Files

Comment

Wow that looks great. I think you should stain it. I used a cedar semi transparent stain on the cedar beams I have on the outside of my house and it has been 8 years now and they still look great. It looks like a yours would be in about the same environment as mine. I pressure washed them one day let it dry over night and put two coats on the next day. The second coat really covered up the spots that I missed the first time. Your build is coming along nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by stxslayer View Post
          Wow that looks great. I think you should stain it. I used a cedar semi transparent stain on the cedar beams I have on the outside of my house and it has been 8 years now and they still look great. It looks like a yours would be in about the same environment as mine. I pressure washed them one day let it dry over night and put two coats on the next day. The second coat really covered up the spots that I missed the first time. Your build is coming along nicely.
          Any particular color?

Comment

I would do a stain in "CEDAR" color. 2 coats......It's going to look AWESOME!

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
              I use FLOOD stain in Cedar color for all of the cedar on my house.
              This is what I use. I pressure wash first but if its clean and newer, just make sure its clean.

Comment

Sickens is the best product I have used for W.R. cedar and redwood. I like the natural “color” the best. I hear lots of good things about Flood too!

Comment

Look into an old Japanese method. They burn the wood. Once burned, it becomes super protective. It is really cool and unique looking and I think maintenance free. Check it out.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

My personal opinion on Cedar is as natural as possible in color. I prefer semi trans stain to keep from graying.
                    I am of the school of thought do not paint the pretty wood.

.....and God Bless America.

Comment

Maintenance free, let it weather , natural beauty.

Comment

Yeah I agree with most on this painting it would be a shame. Just trying to determine if I go natural clear stain to weather proof it or with a color tint in the stain.

Comment

There are sooooo many tint options. Just get yourself some scrap pieces and go test them out. Find the one tint that suites you the best.

Comment

If you don’t seal it it will just weather and look grey like and old fence

Comment

I used ready seal on the exterior cedar of my house. It had only been a few months after being built and the cedar was already starting to fade so I applied the ready seal to it and it looks pretty good

Comment

Working...
                              X